Florida Gov. DeSantis will run for President in 2028

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Dems who think the primaries are going to be bruising etc are going to be very sadly mistaken. He's going to have it wrapped up before super Tuesday.

Yeah, primaries are going to be more depressing than exciting.

And my prediction for a while now has been that Trump isn't going to run out of fear of being seen as a loser once again.

I disagree with the "no one can beat DeSantis" bullshyt though. It's fukking 2022. You have no clue what is going to happen between now and then. Imagine claiming you knew what 2020 would look like back in 2018, what 2016 would look like back in 2014, what 2008 would look like back in 2006? We haven't had a clear picture 6 months in advance, much less 2 years.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think Bernie is the only one. Not saying he could, but he'd do better I think than Joe/Kamala/Pete/etc.

Waaaaay too old. He was already too old to be a first-term president in 2020 (as I pointed out in 2019) and only had to run out of desperation because of the lack of viable alternatives with juice. We should be well into Bernie's 2nd term rather than dealing with all this bullshyt.

What keeps Gretchen Whitmer as being viewed as a serious alternative? She governs a purple state that Democrats absolutely need to win and it felt like during Covid she had a lot of juice. If she wins reelection safely this year, does her name get bigger as a possiblity?

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, primaries are going to be more depressing than exciting.

And my prediction for a while now has been that Trump isn't going to run out of fear of being seen as a loser once again.

I disagree with the "no one can beat DeSantis" bullshyt though. It's fukking 2022. You have no clue what is going to happen between now and then. Imagine claiming you knew what 2020 would look like back in 2018, what 2016 would look like back in 2014, what 2008 would look like back in 2006? We haven't had a clear picture 6 months in advance, much less 2 years.

I knew in 2019 Desantis was going to be the nominee and here we are lol

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I knew in 2019 Desantis was going to be the nominee and here we are lol

You're taking credit for "successfully" predicting something that hasn't even happened yet. :mjtf:

And people guessed 5 years in advance that Clinton would be the nominee in 2008. They still looked right in 2006. They still looked right in 2007. It didn't fall apart for them until 2008.

Then people guessed 5 years in advance that Clinton would be the nominee in 2016. This time they WERE right, though they never guessed how strong Sanders's challenge would be. But then how did their projections about the general election turn out?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're taking credit for "successfully" predicting something that hasn't even happened yet. :mjtf:

And people guessed 5 years in advance that Clinton would be the nominee in 2008. They still looked right in 2006. They still looked right in 2007. It didn't fall apart for them until 2008.

Then people guessed 5 years in advance that Clinton would be the nominee in 2016. This time they WERE right, though they never guessed how strong Sanders's challenge would be. But then how did their projections about the general election turn out?

If you can't see he's already the nominee that's on you breh.

Just like I said, everyone who was instrumental in trump's rise will privately and then publicly (if necessary) disown him bc they know desantis is the stronger candidate.

Fox News has already chosen.

You're also making conclusions based on an assumption that Dems and GOP nominate their prez candidates similarly. They have entirely different histories, processes, institutional biases and motivations.

Before trump there hasn't been a surprise candidate on the GOP side since probably Goldwater. The GOP prioritizes an "orderly" coronation. It's why their primaries are winner take all. They don't like or want surprises and they see trump's nomination as an institutional failure.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If you can't see he's already the nominee that's on you breh.

Just like I said, everyone who was instrumental in trump's rise will privately and then publicly (if necessary) disown him bc they know desantis is the stronger candidate.

Fox News has already chosen.

You're also making conclusions based on an assumption that Dems and GOP nominate their prez candidates similarly. They have entirely different histories, processes, institutional biases and motivations.

Before trump there hasn't been a surprise candidate on the GOP side since probably Goldwater. The GOP prioritizes an "orderly" coronation. It's why their primaries are winner take all. They don't like or want surprises and they see trump's nomination as an institutional failure.

All of that is irrelevant to the point of the discussion, which is that you can't know who is going to win in November.

In fact, everything that you're saying about how predictable the GOP nominee typically is submarines your own case, cause the opposite has been true for the general. :skip:

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All of that is irrelevant to the point of the discussion, which is that you can't know who is going to win in November.

In fact, everything that you're saying about how predictable the GOP nominee typically is submarines your own case, cause the opposite has been true for the general. :skip:

Explain this part...

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Obviously it's not a foregone conclusion, a lot can change in two years, but even so DeSantis is clearly the frontrunner.

Democrats would be smart to plan accordingly (ie. plan to face DeSantis) until if/when that changes. If DeSantis can do as well with Hispanic voters outside of Florida as he does in his state, the Democrats are doomed in 2024. Especially since there will likely be a recession by then.