‘Fleishman is in Trouble’ Thread | Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Lizzy Caplan | FX/Hulu

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I think this was bad writing. Like i said, they flip flopped between rape and post pardom. And it doesn't even make sense if that's what happened and nothing happened to the doctor. I just think the writing on that part was unclear and they threw too much into that trying to add "layers". And the time between that doctor incident and the divorce was several years. She don't get to ride that excuse into the sunset.
I don’t see how that’s bad writing. Rachel was battling trauma from the doctor situation along with PPD. Toby was too self-involved to notice just how much was really going on with her.

It’s also pretty common for assault victims to not report the incident because then it would be her word vs. the accused and very difficult to prove. Someone would want to seek justice only come to find out during the finishing stages how much of a hassle it all was.

The author of the book had a similar situation happen to her in real life apparently.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I don’t see how that’s bad writing. Rachel was battling trauma from the doctor situation along with PPD. Toby was too self-involved to notice just how much was really going on with her.

It’s also pretty common for assault victims to not report the incident because then it would be her word vs. the accused and very difficult to prove. Someone would want to seek justice only come to find out during the finishing stages how much of a hassle it all was.

The author of the book had a similar situation happen to her in real life apparently.

years had passed between the doctor/post pardom stuff and the divorce though. And she was fully involved in her career, trying to impress the stepford wives, and starting her own agency...so when Toby divorced her and she broke down mentally he was not wrong in feeling like "not my problem anymore". Libby was trying make him feel empathy for shyt from years ago, when even Rachel had basically moved on. Even though Toby is a whiny bytch himself, Rachel wasn't really acting like she needed him like that. She was making him feel like shyt right in front of her "friends" at them gatherings.

I just feel like they threw the rape part in there for "layers". Even reading that article, it doesn't mention anything about refusing to press charges, or what her husband's reaction was. Or if the procedure was malpractice, rape, illegal, etc...this is confusing. So your doctor did a procedure that was painful, nothing happened to the doctor, you didn't press charges....then the whole situation is somehow on the husband to figure out all the shyt she's not telling, he's supposed to do something , but that something was what? EVEN WHEN RACHEL HAD THE CHANCE TO ADDRESS THE DOCTOR SHE DIDN'T DO shyt IN THE ELEVATOR. But Toby was supposed to do something?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Like i said, they flip flopped between rape and post pardom.
Nah, they were pretty clear in what it was, from Toby and Rachel position. Toby thought it was post partum, while Rachel immediately thought it was rape.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
again, that doesn't even make sense because she doesn't need Toby to file charges. I think that was horrible writing, and I don't think 99% of men would just shrug at their wife screaming like that at malpractice. Like the whole Toby not caring part is unrealistic. And they flip flopped it between post pardom and rape which was confusing and them throw too much into.
:yeshrug: I got the impression it was 3 sides of the story of kind of thing. We didn't see the incident in real time progression...Toby remembered his pov and Rachel retold her side, while going through a nervous breakdown.

Before we saw Rachel's side, I assumed she overreacted because she wanted her doc there, because she's a control freak. But Toby's reaction was weird regardless of what happened. Your wife is on the venture of giving birth and she screams then accuses a fellow doctor colleague of entering her womb, w/o permission, and you play it off? Not even question it? But that's sums up his character. He rarely had his wife's back because he's too busy trying to be, paradoxically, moral upright.

The first time he shows real empathy for another is with his daughter in regards to her batmitzah in the final episode. I personally think Rachel overreacted but it doesn't matter because she felt violated.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
But that's sums up his character. He rarely had his wife's back because he's too busy trying to be, paradoxically, moral upright.
He was always like that.

The more I think about him, the more he and Rachel deserve each other.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Well written, greatly acted and I hated it. Unlikable and unrelatable characters. @Fillerguy hit the nail on the head describing Rachel and Toby as self centered.

It's different and way better show but it kind of gave me 'Girls' vibes, if that makes any sense. At least Fleishman writer, to her credit, is aware of characters flaws as opposed to Lena Dunham who thought narcissists portrayed in her show would be likeable and relatable to general public.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Well written, greatly acted and I hated it. Unlikable and unrelatable characters. @Fillerguy hit the nail on the head describing Rachel and Toby as self centered.

It's different and way better show but it kind of gave me 'Girls' vibes, if that makes any sense. At least Fleishman writer, to her credit, is aware of characters flaws as opposed to Lena Dunham who thought narcissists portrayed in her show would be likeable and relatable to general public.

Rich white (Jew) yuppie drama :manny:

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just feel like they threw the rape part in there for "layers". Even reading that article, it doesn't mention anything about refusing to press charges, or what her husband's reaction was. Or if the procedure was malpractice, rape, illegal, etc...this is confusing. So your doctor did a procedure that was painful, nothing happened to the doctor, you didn't press charges....then the whole situation is somehow on the husband to figure out all the shyt she's not telling, he's supposed to do something , but that something was what? EVEN WHEN RACHEL HAD THE CHANCE TO ADDRESS THE DOCTOR SHE DIDN'T DO shyt IN THE ELEVATOR. But Toby was supposed to do something?
I'm curious: Do you disagree with the writers writing something like that, or with the women who felt like it was a rape? Cause it's one thing to think the writers are contriving a bs situation to add some fake depth. It's another thing if we think it's a realistic situation but the women are just being irrational. And I'm not clear if you think it's one or the other or both.

And (not that I think her reaction was irrational) but let's just be clear that great writing can be about irrational and annoying characters.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I'm curious: Do you disagree with the writers writing something like that, or with the women who felt like it was a rape? Cause it's one thing to think the writers are contriving a bs situation to add some fake depth. It's another thing if we think it's a realistic situation but the women are just being irrational. And I'm not clear if you think it's one or the other or both.

And (not that I think her reaction was irrational) but let's just be clear that great writing can be about irrational and annoying characters.
I think the writers threw too much into it for no reason. And they, the writers, made it confusing. Also, i'm still going to say it's 100% unrealistic that a man sees his wife screaming out in pain, and he just like "nah, you good...chill" to the shyt. Also, again, like i said before, she didn't even really say what "it" was but he was supposed to do something.

It's a combination of everything. Even that article that was posted, she basically skipped past her husband's reaction and went straight into "i had PTSD".

This show was poorly written. It appears like a well written drama or whatever just because the tone, but when you start examining it, stuff didn't make sense or shyt was happening for no reason. I'll use the example again, Toby,Libby, and the other dude start arguing at that party for no reason. Libby and her husband were having arguments about nothing. Another example is Toby getting on dating apps and immediately having all this wild sex with super attractive women, even as a doctor pulling chicks the way one of these ripped up model looking dudes would.

Last edited:

CW99

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yeah thats a no to Jessie Eisenberg I cant stand his acting

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Good lord Rachel was such an unlikable character.

I've met a lot of women like her in the legal field. Woman who are bad fits as moms and/or wives, but are great cogs in the corporate/big government machine.

These woman alongside peter pan men are the types who would better off not entering the marriage and reproduction market.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Damn, needs a bear laced on cocaine in it I guess. :mjcry:

I forgot that this is one of those FX on Hulu shows that doesn’t air on the proper network, so probably another reason why it’s not popping like that. One of those shows that people don’t know about until they see it listed under the ‘Best’ categories at the Emmys, and then run to check it out.

On another note, the dating app companies gotta be loving the unrealistic portrayal of the turnaround time on making matches, right? :pachaha:Some fine ass women on this show though.
Yea even though they’re charging me $20 a month I still rarely watch Hulu smh

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
This whole series ((i thought it was gon be a doctor getting his groove back post divorce while being a single dad) was a bizarre ride

Toby was a self righteous clown, but was his wife’s punching bag, and he endured shyt, he shouldn’t have his empathy made him a great doctor, but he had a hard time conveying it in his relationship

His wife, was supposed to be a stone cold killer that climbed to the top, at the cost of her marriage and kids, i understand how they tried to arch her into some sympathetic figure, she still a bytch and abandoned her family while fukkin around, this some woman-ism (especially white woman) bs logic, you knew how to take charge in everything except actually being honest about Your marriage and your part you played in the demise

Libby was just as bad, “i don’t know who i am” you chose to be a sahm get a hobby and get over yourself, or go get a damn job but stop acting like your world’s ending because you do the same shyt, it’s life