‘Fleishman is in Trouble’ Thread | Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Lizzy Caplan | FX/Hulu

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’ve been watching it kind of in the background and i don’t really have any strong opinions about it either way.

Its kind of depressing coming-of-middle age comedy about rich jewish people on the upper east side. It is what it is. It’s kind of dry for good tv right now, it serves its purpose at being a mildly entertaining screensaver for when im cleaning

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I'm watching it but I'm not really loving it or hating it tbh. It just feels like something to watch until The Last of Us drops.

I see what they're trying to do with the unreliable narrator (whether it's Eisenberg or Caplan's character twisting things, I'm not sure), but it's really obvious it's being written by a woman. I keep thinking "this is what woman must feel when they experience men trying to write women." Might be because it's Caplan narrating or it might just be because the author is a woman struggling to write for a man. There's a bit of role reversal with Eisenberg being more of the caretaker in the relationship and Danes being the breadwinner and work focused one, and it seems like the message is "if a man was doing this he wouldn't be as vilified," which is interesting. I also like how they're being heavy handed in painting Danes as an a$$hole through narration and flashback, but reality of the situations reveal a much more sympathetic story for her. Eisenberg is clealy the biggest a$$hole in the show, but they're doing a good job of somewhat hiding their hand in the way they're depicting him. You definitely feel the juxtaposition between how he chooses to explain situations versus what you're actually seeing.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I’ve been watching it kind of in the background and i don’t really have any strong opinions about it either way.

Its kind of depressing coming-of-middle age comedy about rich jewish people on the upper east side. It is what it is. It’s kind of dry for good tv right now, it serves its purpose at being a mildly entertaining screensaver for when im cleaning
They're like one character away from it being like a more serious Seinfeld.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Claire Danes just notched herself an Emmy nom after Ep. 7. Sheesh. :whew:

Also glad they didn’t go the cliche ‘middle-aged wife is now cheating on husband to find her thrills’ route and instead ventured into Libby’s internalized misogyny and youthful longing in another way. Maybe her character will now turn a corner after hearing Rachel’s side of the story.

I think it’ll be ironic if it turns out Toby actually does have an underlying medical issue. It’s pretty wild that he, being a doctor himself, was quickly dismissive of the way his wife was assaulted during pregnancy. I’m not on anyone’s side here as everyone on the show has their own flaws, but I just thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Claire Danes just notched herself an Emmy nom after Ep. 7. Sheesh. :whew:

Also glad they didn’t go the cliche ‘middle-aged wife is now cheating on husband to find her thrills’ route and instead ventured into that with Libby’s cigarette usage.

You know Claire Danes going for the emmy when she puts her upside down face on

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mannnnn Toby's looking bad in the light.

The mother of his children had a mental breakdown and he's a doctor and he didn't even check in. And he got all his buddies and all of us TV watchers following his lead like "wtf is wrong with Claire Danes..."
You know Claire Danes going for the emmy when she puts her upside down face on
I wonder if she just stares in the mirror practicing her "ugly" cry face and making her bottom lip quiver.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Mannnnn Toby's looking bad in the light.

The mother of his children had a mental breakdown and he's a doctor and he didn't even check in. And he got all his buddies and all of us TV watchers following his lead like "wtf is wrong with Claire Danes..."
Girl could’ve been lying dead in a ditch somewhere and dude would’ve been sending petty texts on some “The kids are fine. They haven’t missed you at all.” :bryan:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I felt this way early on too. He was simmering but didn’t check in for a week. And then only stopped by to see proof that she had a relationship with that pharma dikk.

Her upper east side yuppie friends were like, “yo, we saw her sleeping in Central Park,” and his reaction was anger and not “why is she sleeping in Central Park?”

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her upper east side yuppie friends were like, “yo, we saw her sleeping in Central Park,” and his reaction was anger and not “why is she sleeping in Central Park?”
And even this has some nuance where I can kind of understand where Toby's coming from because her friends presented it like she was having a picnic in the park instead of what we/they saw: a distraught, disheveled looking woman.

Her "friends" didn't care enough to notice; or to bring it up to Toby; or Toby didn't let them know she was missing cause he was salty and embarrassed so they minded their own business and didn't go into detail.

The show is filled with so many things like this, but we gotta pay attention. Really well crafted.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
And even this has some nuance where I can kind of understand where Toby's coming from because her friends presented it like she was having a picnic in the park instead of what we/they saw: a distraught, disheveled looking woman.

Her "friends" didn't care enough to notice; or to bring it up to Toby; or Toby didn't let them know she was missing cause he was salty and embarrassed so they minded their own business and didn't go into detail.

The show is filled with so many things like this, but we gotta pay attention. Really well crafted.
Her “friends” are pieces of shyt. It’s funny that Rachel knew it too, but saw the opportunities being on that circle would create.

Rachel grew up longing for that world while Toby was already in it and don’t realize it.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
wonder if she just stares in the mirror practicing her "ugly" cry face and making her bottom lip quiver.

You can’t be a good actress if you don’t got that clutch “ugly” face. Kerry Washington got one, Viola Davis gone one…you can’t be a good actress if you still look cute while suffering from emotional distress.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Just binged.

Claire Danes is the GOAT at playing crazy white women. Most actors try to avoid looking ugly, she don't give a fukk. She killing this role. I lowkey think she is crazy tho.

And the writing is top notch. Had me hating her character for the first few episodes but Toby's been getting worse and worse the more information comes out. Danes is a c*nty but she has been in self defense mode for over 10 years after her husband failed to have a back. The trust is gone and she had a mental breakdown while attempting to address her trauma.

And Lizzy Caplan frumpy cottage cheese ass would get wrecked:wow:Ted Mosby don't know what to do with the p*ssy, yet again.

Last edited: