Fiyastarter Podcast Thread...

I.V.

Keep this Fire
Supporter
Daps
1. For me, growing up as a Georgetown fan, the program stood for something. Watching Big John walk off the floor in protest of Prop. 42 made me proud as a fan of the program because he was giving a voice to the voiceless because he cared about black youth being disenfranchised. If the same things that have come out about UNC came out about Georgetown under his tenure, I'd be crushed.

2. I coach and mentor kids and the biggest thing we - my charitable group/team - emphasize is the importance of an education. I would lose my mind if I found out one of my kids was being taken advantage of the way UNC took advantage of the kids they were bringing in to their football and basketball programs.

This is really well put. Having played, been around, and then worked in sports... as well as coached/mentored for years... the thing that cuts deep isn't that "Schools are cheating"... It's that there are young kids getting taken advantage of, used-up, and then tossed in the garbage and replaced with younger, newer models. And when they leave the factory... they don't have the tools they were promised. Most college athletes don't become pros, and when you use their athletic talents, without giving them education - their only form of salary - when they leave, what are they supposed to do?

These coaches come into your home, sit with your mom, your dad, your sisters and brothers... and they tell you they're going to take care of you, and look out for you. You have to see it, experience to understand what a betrayal these academic fraud charges are.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
1. For me, growing up as a Georgetown fan, the program stood for something. Watching Big John walk off the floor in protest of Prop. 42 made me proud as a fan of the program because he was giving a voice to the voiceless because he cared about black youth being disenfranchised. If the same things that have come out about UNC came out about Georgetown under his tenure, I'd be crushed.

2. I coach and mentor kids and the biggest thing we - my charitable group/team - emphasize is the importance of an education. I would lose my mind if I found out one of my kids was being taken advantage of the way UNC took advantage of the kids they were bringing in to their football and basketball programs.
you made a great point about this in the podcast. That "your son will get an education" line is real. Most of the coaches are scumbags who sell that lie are scumbags.

KBadd

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
P.G.
This is really well put. Having played, been around, and then worked in sports... as well as coached/mentored for years... the thing that cuts deep isn't that "Schools are cheating"... It's that there are young kids getting taken advantage of, used-up, and then tossed in the garbage and replaced with younger, newer models. And when they leave the factory... they don't have the tools they were promised. Most college athletes don't become pros, and when you use their athletic talents, without giving them education - their only form of salary - when they leave, what are they supposed to do?

These coaches come into your home, sit with your mom, your dad, your sisters and brothers... and they tell you they're going to take care of you, and look out for you. You have to see it, experience to understand what a betrayal these academic fraud charges are.

I agree 100% and even said as much on our podcast last night and it's why I mentioned what Rob Ambrose, the head coach at Towson, said that resonated with me. I've heard countless spiels from head coaches over the last few years but he was the first that ever said if you come to Towson, no one is going to give you an education, you're going to have to earn it.

I have kids I coach/mentor that I would adopt if I could and love them as if they were my own and like you said, I couldn't imagine what I would feel if one of them told me they allowed someone on their coaching staff in college to fill out their entire schedule, place them in a major not of their choosing and have classes where they don't even have to show up yet are given passing grades all in the name of simply keeping them eligible.

KBadd

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
P.G.
you made a great point about this in the podcast. That "your son will get an education" line is real. Most of the coaches are scumbags who sell that lie are scumbags.

Thanks dogg.

Coaches tell parents all the time, "Your son will get a top-notch education" and 99.9% of the time, the parents take them at their word. For any coach to say that they can't be responsible for what their players are doing academically in regards to blatant fraud is a lying sack of shyt.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Thanks dogg.

Coaches tell parents all the time, "Your son will get a top-notch education" and 99.9% of the time, the parents take them at their word. For any coach to say that they can't be responsible for what their players are doing academically in regards to blatant fraud is a lying sack of shyt.
exactly

The focus shouldnt be on the players, but on the coaching staff and university. It never happens that way.

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU

The point that I didn't make was that unless we choose the teams we root for as adults, we aren't cheering for the entire program just the team on the floor. When I was young, Jordan went to unc, I liked Jordan thus = unc fan. I didn't know anything about academics, the football team, the "prestige". So if you would have for some reasons been a Virginia fan or Virginia tech as a kid you have to ride that shyt out forever. That's the part I don't understand, like why can't we just say I liked a team for an arbitrary reason years ago, if you wanna fry 10 year old me for my selection in a program in 2014 ok fine, have it, I'm not responsible for any of it. As a matter of fact whatever team you like, I like too because you were so persuasive. We don't get shyt if these teams win. What's the best case scenario, we spend our dollars to fly out watch them and purchase merchandise...great..

shyt, started ranting about how dumb we are for being fans and that's off topic.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most of the time the players arent looking for an education either they are there to play sports and try to live their dream of playing professionally no matter how far fetched it is.

Also this lack of education usually starts way before college in high school and even elementary school these players get passing grades for being star athletes.

My uncle was a professor at a college that has a big time athletic program he said most of these athletes couldnt write a coherent sentence there was no way they belonged in college and there was no way they were gonna learn anytihng in college with such a lack of basic knowledge

KBadd

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
P.G.
The point that I didn't make was that unless we choose the teams we root for as adults, we aren't cheering for the entire program just the team on the floor. When I was young, Jordan went to unc, I liked Jordan thus = unc fan. I didn't know anything about academics, the football team, the "prestige". So if you would have for some reasons been a Virginia fan or Virginia tech as a kid you have to ride that shyt out forever. That's the part I don't understand, like why can't we just say I liked a team for an arbitrary reason years ago, if you wanna fry 10 year old me for my selection in a program in 2014 ok fine, have it, I'm not responsible for any of it. As a matter of fact whatever team you like, I like too because you were so persuasive. We don't get shyt if these teams win. What's the best case scenario, we spend our dollars to fly out watch them and purchase merchandise...great..

shyt, started ranting about how dumb we are for being fans and that's off topic.

I'm not debating that, as far as I'm concerned, you can like who you want for whatever reason for all I care. However, in this case, I know people from Raleigh/Durham who bleed Carolina Blue and have in the past, taken shots at programs like Kentucky for obviously cheating, or taken shots at Miami's football program for obviously cheating, or questioned how could Victor Page possibly stay eligible at Georgetown yet are now taking the stance of, "This isn't a big deal, it happens everywhere." Nah dogg, same intensity.

Also, as far as my Georgetown fandom, that's just me personally. I get it if others don't understand why I feel the way they do.

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not debating that, as far as I'm concerned, you can like who you want for whatever reason for all I care. However, in this case, I know people from Raleigh/Durham who bleed Carolina Blue and have in the past, taken shots at programs like Kentucky for obviously cheating, or taken shots at Miami's football program for obviously cheating, or questioned how could Victor Page possibly stay eligible at Georgetown yet are now taking the stance of, "This isn't a big deal, it happens everywhere." Nah dogg, same intensity.

Also, as far as my Georgetown fandom, that's just me personally. I get it if others don't understand why I feel the way they do.

It really blows my mind that in 2014 the discourse about NCAA academic scandal still amounts to "every team does it except mine" or "how could this happen" or "it's an isolated incident."

I worked in college admissions for a division III school, which has irrelevant sports teams, and cannot offer athletic scholarships, and they still had a special admissions process for athletes. I watched with my own eyes as a white kid from an educated household with plenty of money was admitted to a school that boasted a median SAT over 1400 for incoming frosh despite several F's on his transcript. F's. This is a school where straight A students with top 10 percentile standardized test scores are regularly rejected. If D III schools are doing that, what in the fukk do people think major D-I schools are doing?

If you have a top level football, basketball, hockey, baseball, or lacrosse team at your school, there are at least a handful of borderline illiterate kids on your campus disguised as students. This has been way past the point of mere speculation for years and years. It's a lie that Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships (I mean, you know, I guess on some Bill Clinton "depends on what your definition of 'is' is" bullshyt they don't). It's a lie that coaches, AD's, and administrators (sometimes the university presidents) don't know precisely what academic and legal loopholes are being manipulated every step of the way. It's fact that they perpetuate academic fraud and cover up crimes that range from drug use to theft to assault to rape.

I remember talking about the corrupt nature of college sports with a couple sensible dudes from Iowa who were cosigning every single point I made, until I said Iowa was, as a football school that spent 70 mil on a new football stadium, 100% certainly doing the same shyt as the other schools I named... Suddenly they got mad defensive, then antagonistic, called me off base and cynical, and said "Kirk Ferentz is a values guy."

I was like oh, is he?:sas2:

A year later, a report comes out that Iowa Football spent six months covering up a rape charge, purposely tainted a crime scene, and had the most players arrested in a 5 year period in all of the NCAA.
:sas1:

I've seen, with my own two fukking eyes, tutors hand test answers and papers to athletes for classes they only attended 3-4 times all semester. I have in my possession two handwritten papers (which were supposed to be typed) from a d lineman who did not know the difference between "manager" and "manger," "baby" and "bady," "definitely" and "defitly." Who misspelled "the" several times. Who described a woman thusly: "She is girl." Those papers were graded 5/5 by a college professor. Thank the lord the player ended up making a nice bit of money playing for the Cowboys, because he was a step away from illiterate and had no critical thinking skills. One of his papers started "Is abortion rite or wrong nobody no. Sum say it up to God but it aslo a women who have to carry th bady." Fam.

If people believe these coaches are leaders and educators, they are fukking militantly obtuse. And if they think that, but are also willing to believe the coaches have no idea what classes their players are taking and what their GPAs are, then they're doing all kinds of bizarre mental gymnastics.

The institutions are committing academic fraud. There is no way around that basic, fundamental truth. The shame of the McCants situation is he's such a fukking nincompoop that he can be easily dismissed, so Carolina fans can continue to pretend their program holds itself to a higher standard than others. Roy is about as annoying, cloying, and saccharine a fraud as there has ever been. Then again, that hardly makes him unique in this racket.
:manny:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
lets forgo all the bullshiet and let the players make money off their name, you don't have to pay them, if they can go out there and get a cash offer, then let them go get it

this whole "student athlete" myth and the "scholarship is your salary" nonsense is the biggest deception out there #nothyperbole