Finishers in Wrestling

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
So, I haven’t really watched wrestling since the mergers. Then I went to a Monday Night Raw event in Chicago a couple months ago I’ve I’ve been watching a lot more, and one of the things I’ve noticed is that the finishers don’t really end the match anymore. I remember when Rock did the people’s elbow then the show was over. It seems now like a finisher doesn’t really mean much and it has to be done 4-5 times before they win. Why is that?

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
It's stupid. I understand if it's a big money match and they want the match to be remembered. But a typical midcard match would have someone kick out of a finisher... Come on. It actually ruins the suspense a little. We know damn well a match will continue if someone kicks out of 1 finishing move, and it's all because of how it's been ruined

That's why I appreciate GUNTHER. he will end matches with a splash from the turnbuckle, wicked clothesline, a powerbomb, or a chop, depending on how small the person is.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
So, I haven’t really watched wrestling since the mergers. Then I went to a Monday Night Raw event in Chicago a couple months ago I’ve I’ve been watching a lot more, and one of the things I’ve noticed is that the finishers don’t really end the match anymore. I remember when Rock did the people’s elbow then the show was over. It seems now like a finisher doesn’t really mean much and it has to be done 4-5 times before they win. Why is that?
Problem is so many finishers have been co-opted by others as just regular moves in their repertoire or by jabronis as their finisher. And it's not just a WWE thing either, happening all over the place.

People need to take some notes from Japan where they still abide by the super finisher thing.

People got like a few secondary finishers to get most of their wins but then for the big matches they’ll bust out their super finisher and it’s game over. Like Kenta Kobashi's Burning Hammer or Kenny Omega's One Winged Angel.

No one ever kicked out of Kobashi's Burning Hammer and only one person has ever kicked out of the One Winged Angel and there was a ton of story and history behind that.

But now you have jabronis like Brian Kendrick using the Burning Hammer. fukking criminal.

Last edited:

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Problem is so many finishers have been co-opted by others as just regular moves in their repertoire or by jabronis as their finisher. And it's not just a WWE thing either, happening all over the place.

People need to take some notes from Japan where they still abide by the super finisher thing.

People got like a few secondary finishers to get most of their wins but then for the big matches they’ll bust out their super finisher and it’s game over. Like Kenya Kobashi's Burning Hammer or Kenny Omega's One Winged Angel.

No one ever kicked out of Kobashi's Burning Hammer and only one person has ever kicked out of the One Winged Angel and there was a ton of story and history behind that.

But now you have jabronis like Brian Kendrick using the Burning Hammer. fukking criminal.
Im not real familiar with the names but I understand what you mean. I’m introducing my son to wrasslin and I hate that all the finishers are damn near meaningless. Has it been this was for a while?

Where do you watch the Japan wrestling? YouTube?

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Im not real familiar with the names but I understand what you mean. I’m introducing my son to wrasslin and I hate that all the finishers are damn near meaningless. Has it been this was for a while?

Where do you watch the Japan wrestling? YouTube?
It pretty much sprung up from ECW and, to a lesser degree, the indies and worked it's way into the mainstream of wrestling. Half them ECW wrestlers only had like 5 moves so they didn't have much to work with lol.

Japan, I mostly watch the big shows on the streaming sites but New Japan talent work all over the place. AEW is about to have a co-branded show with New Japan later this month so about half the wrestlers on that PPV are going to be from New Japan.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
I'm usually first to go in for bat for wrestling evolving, but this is the worst thing about the modern era.

How are you going to sell a move as deadly when it gets kicked out of in the middle of a mid-card TV match?

The way the One-Winged Angel is treated shouldn't be an exception, it should be the rule. If you get hit with someone's finisher it should be over unless someone breaks up the pin or you can get a foot on the rope.

If your finisher needs to be done from the top rope to finish a match then surely you'd learn you need to do it from the top rope every time.

Main Event of Wrestlemania? Sure, throw a kick out in... rest of the time the story should be less about the opponent being so tough your finisher bounced off them and more about how they can avoid you getting it done at all - Jake trying to hook the DDT early in the match and falling to the ground on his own, Bret getting pushed away trying to hook the sharpshooter before he's worked the legs down enough.

But if you fall with Jake, you're done. If Bret hooks you into the Sharpshooter in the middle of the ring, you're done*

*then you get the opportunity to make a clip that is STILL being watched about the ONE guy who was so damn tough he passed out instead of quitting.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Don't even get me started on the superkicks

Young bucks and the Usos gotta have a talking to about this shyt

Man, out the blue Superkick finishes used to be so fukkin sweet.

To be fair, HBK started the death of the Superkick AND the death of the believable finisher with all that Tuning Up The Band bs that Dolph, Sheamus, Drew and plenty more copy now. How you going to ADVERTISE your shot to the guy you're trying to kick in the face?

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
It pretty much sprung up from ECW and, to a lesser degree, the indies and worked it's way into the mainstream of wrestling. Half them ECW wrestlers only had like 5 moves so they didn't have much to work with lol.

Japan, I mostly watch the big shows on the streaming sites but New Japan talent work all over the place. AEW is about to have a co-branded show with New Japan later this month so about half the wrestlers on that PPV are going to be from New Japan.
Oh I think thats in Chicago on the 17th. I was thinking about going

Daps
Reppin
LDN

People got like a few secondary finishers to get most of their wins but then for the big matches they’ll bust out their super finisher and it’s game over. Like Kenya Kobashi's Burning Hammer or Kenny Omega's One Winged Angel.

This is exactly like when Drew McIntyre was the first and only person to kick out of End of Days, except nothing like it because it was Baron Corbin, there was no history and story behind it, and nobody gave a single solitary flying fukk

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City

Burning hammer from the top rope to the outside apron. Dude gets up and wrestles for 17 more minutes

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Gunther and Daniel Bryan have the best finishers because it's not spam moves and it's unpredictable but devastating enough to only need to be done once.

They also have multiple finishers so there's that.

I noticed that this also elevated Roman Reigns wrestling up a couple of notches with the guillotine lock.

I think that wrestlers should incorporate different variations of their finishers.