Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
One of those JRPG fans sounds like he doesn't get laid :manny:
I mean you say that to say what? Getting laid isn't the be all end all. It might be really important to you but I couldn't care less about it. If I never had sex again in my life I wouldn't care and in fact that's the plan.

I know it's a struggle to understand that not everybody sees the world the same way and not everybody prioritizes what you do but it's a big world out there and your view of it is just that.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@winb83 isn't wrong tho, FF is THE casual rpg player's rpg of choice. If there is one RPG that most people have given a shot or tried it's final fantasy. I mean the series itself is instrumental in not only shooting JRPGS into mainstream popularity in the US it also pretty much solidified the PS1 as being THE system to have during a time when a lot of rpgs fans in the US didn't even really know the different kinds of rpgs or really what the genre was called at all.

I have a couple Casual rpgs friends, some use to be hardcore or look forward to play and purchase new ones on release. The rest of that group has always casually played FF since 7 in most cases and in most case all of them play kingdom hearts.

Final Fantasy and Kingdom are the casual rpg players series of choice. And if you want to know just how casual I let know you what to ask.
If they only have played FF7, some of 8, 10 (which is probably their favorite) and 15.

I think the hardcore jrpg fans still love FF but it's mostly because you can expect a attempt at a high quality jrpg or japanese western action RPG the way FF's are made nowadays.

I don't think FF7 being an exclusive to Playstation and it square not being a 1st party studio helps the FF brand grow tho. FF16 should be getting multi platform releases like the new souls games now

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't think FF7 being an exclusive to Playstation and it square not being a 1st party studio helps the FF brand grow tho. FF16 should be getting multi platform releases like the new souls games now
Shoulda coulda woulda, cry more nerd. FF7 remake sold like hotcakes just like FF7 remake, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 did. 16 will be fine and dandy. You are so full of shyt.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Shoulda coulda woulda, cry more nerd. FF7 remake sold like hotcakes just like FF7 remake, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 did. 16 will be fine and dandy. You are so full of shyt.
Final Fantasy 12 came out in 2006 17 years ago. That was the last new Final Fantasy game that was well received and even then people were kinda lukewarm on it as I bought the game on PS2 and remember the reception it got. People really disliked the story and characters and shat on the game because it borderline played itself. The last new game in the series that was universally loved was from 2001 so 22 years ago.

So yeah there are a lot of people who weren't alive or were babies when this series was both a critical darling and the general public felt the same way.

Don't even bother pointing to the reviews because Final Fantasy reviews will almost always skew positive. Even XIII was given an 83 on Metacritic and most fans say that's a terrible game. This is literally a series where a gam can be made that you just walk down a hallway and watch nonsensical cutscenes with no town or exploration other than an single open field and it gets a positive review score.

It may sell well but Call of Duty Ghosts sold well too.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People really disliked the story and characters and shat on the game because it borderline played itself. The last new game in the series that was universally loved was from 2001 so 22 years ago.

You would have to completely disregard XIV and all its expansions (the team who are working on this game) and ff7 Remake for this to be accurate.

Yall just be talking to talk. Final Fantasy doesn’t need to be on anything but a playstation to be successful, never has. If anything Final Fantasy going multiplatform the last two generations didn’t do anything to help the series grow at all

we all have data on this, and Square Enix have even more data to suggest that its not worth their time putting these games on xbox. It will eventually get a PC Port in a few months just like every other final fantasy game

A sony marketing agreement is more valuable than square enix trying to market it themselves as a multiplatform game. Kind of like how the 2D HD games being heavily associate with Nintendo did more for those games than being multiplatform and SE trying to figure out a way to market them outside of Nintendo Directs

FF16 being made exclusive again is a sign of Final Fantasy returning to form. Its worst two entries in the HD era were the multiplatform releases.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
BFF65-BD9-54-D3-4-BCA-8-DF6-7-E9582-B70-B46.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Those are MMOs, not traditional games in the series.

Never played it. Zero interest in diving into an MMO Final Fantasy.

Doesn’t make a difference. Its still a numbered entry in the franchise, one of the most financially and critically successful entries, along with all its expansions.

Sakaguchi himself acknowledges it and he hates SE.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And perhaps it is a great game. Still this series being the gold standard for JRPGs simply because it's high budget and popular isn't true. At one point it was that but it's been decades since that was the case.

At one point Kanye West was putting out amazing albums. He may have even been considered the gold standard of producer turned rapper. The Kanye West of today even if he put out an amazing album isn't the sam guy as he was on those first few albums.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And perhaps it is a great game. Still this series being the gold standard for JRPGs simply because it's high budget and popular isn't true. At one point it was that but it's been decades since that was the case.

At one point Kanye West was putting out amazing albums. He may have even been considered the gold standard of producer turned rapper. The Kanye West of today even if he put out an amazing album isn't the sam guy as he was on those first few albums.

Its still one of biggest JRPG series critically and commercially, and nothing you really argue will prove otherwise. Theres a reason Square can continue to invest so much money into it while every other developer has given up on making AAA JRPGs.

FF16 and Rebirth are exclusive because Sony knows they will move consoles. The only other JRPG that applies to is Pokemon

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:martin: You haven't played FF16 and have no idea if what he is saying is true or not - what a bullshyt fukking post.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Its still the biggest JRPG series critically and commercially, and nothing you really argue will prove otherwise
I didn't say it wasn't. I said to many JRPG fans that go beyond a casual interest at best in JRPGs Final Fantasy is not the gold standard for JRPGs anymore. It's quality has fallen so hard in recent times that people have become disenchanted with the series.

In fact here's you talking about the most recent new release in the gold standard of JRPGs Final Fantasy XV.
I downloaded it but i really dislike the actual game so i havent tried to play it.

Game sucks ass

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Those are MMOs, not traditional games in the series.

Never played it. Zero interest in diving into an MMO Final Fantasy.
YOU aren't interested in it. No one is telling you to play it or anything. But to discount them when talking about recent FF is absurd.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I didn't say it wasn't. I said to many JRPG fans that go beyond a casual interest at best in JRPGs Final Fantasy is not the gold standard for JRPGs anymore. It's quality has fallen so hard in recent times that people have become disenchanted with the series.

In fact here's you talking about the most recent new release in the gold standard of JRPGs Final Fantasy XV.

FFXV wasn’t even the last Final Fantasy game that came out :dahell:

And I find it hilarious that you continue to throw words like ‘casual’ around when you yourself can’t commit to playing FFXIV because it takes too much of a commitment. Seems like a very casual thing to say