Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't think an FF game being good is a surprise to anyone. Its still the standard for which all JRPGs are measured.
For more casual fans maybe but people who are into JRPGs have been disenchanted with Final Fantasy for a while now. It’s been a series living more off its history than anything it’s done lately.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
For more casual fans maybe but people who are into JRPGs have been disenchanted with Final Fantasy for a while now. It’s been a series living more off its history than anything it’s done lately.

Stop using the term ‘casuals’ unironically, you sound dumb

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

What is a "casual" JRPG fan? I don't think that's been a thing since the 90's.

But I'll agree it lost alot of luster, but 7 Remake is beloved. And XV sold like gang busters and actually got alot of Gen Z into the genre/series.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

But I'll agree it lost alot of luster, but 7 Remake is beloved. And XV sold like gang busters and actually got alot of Gen Z into the genre/series.
I assume those that only play the mainstream ones. Which is Pokemon, FF and Kingdom Hearts. But yea JRPG's graphically have been behind at least 1 gen for majority of their titles minus those coming from Square since the PS3 era.

Still I don't think it's fair to not include FF XIV. I get not liking MMO's but it absolutely should be included when we talk about recent FF.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I assume those that only play the mainstream ones. Which is Pokemon, FF and Kingdom Hearts. But yea JRPG's graphically have been behind at least 1 gen for majority of their titles minus those coming from Square since the PS3 era.

Still I don't think it's fair to not include FF XIV. I get not liking MMO's but it absolutely should be included when we talk about recent FF.

I agree. But Fire Emblem Three Houses was one of the most successful games on the Switch and that's a hardcore strategy JRPG.

Persona 5 is approaching 10 milly sold. I don't think its as "dead" of a genre as people like to say it is. And to your point XIV is arguably the most healthy MMO on market not named WoW (which has been bleeding players for going on 3 years now). And lastly, JRPGs never actually relied on graphical power, that was a Final Fantasy thing. Most JRPGs rely heavily on art style and writing, much more that graphical power. That's the way it kinda always has been.

Persona, Dragon Quest, SaGa, Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, etc....these were NEVER the most graphically impressive games when they dropped. KH maybe, but even then the draw was the Disney IP and the art style and not that it had the most hyper realistic engine.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Stop using the term ‘casuals’ unironically, you sound dumb
I sound dumb for recognizing the difference between casual fans who dabble in mostly mainstream titles and more serious fans that are deep in the genre. Yeah ok.

Some of us almost all of what we play is JRPGs and to others Final Fantasy and maybe Persona is about as deep as they get into it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

So all JRPG fans are created equal. The guy that just plays Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is just as much a JRPG fan as the one holding out hope Ciel Nosurge DX gets an English localization so they can play the prequel to Ar Nosuge they still own a PS3 copy of?

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
So all JRPG fans are created equal. The guy that just plays Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is just as much a JRPG fan as the one holding out hope Ciel Nosurge DX gets an English localization so they can play the prequel to Ar Nosuge they still own a PS3 copy of?

One of those JRPG fans sounds like he doesn't get laid :manny:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

See here's the thing. What you just described is a "hardcore" JRPG fan. Why is the first reaction to slingshot all the way to the other end and say if you aren't on THIS level, then you're a "casual"?

If you've played more than one FF and/or more than one Persona or even just one from many different JRPG series...then that's way beyond a casual.

IMO, the only "casual" JRPG is probably Pokemon, because most people don't even think of it as a JRPG. Beyond that, you're already diving into some deep gaming waters.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
See here's the thing. What you just described is a "hardcore" JRPG fan. Why is the first reaction to slingshot all the way to the other end and say if you aren't on THIS level, then you're a "casual"?

If you've played more than one FF and/or more than one Persona or even just one from many different JRPG series...then that's way beyond a casual.

IMO, the only "casual" JRPG is probably Pokemon, because most people don't even think of it as a JRPG. Beyond that, you're already diving into some deep gaming waters.

Exactly.

What @winb83 is describing is some body pillow weeb shyt.

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
Exactly.

140430-fallon-brony-tease_mhocmv

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I agree. But Fire Emblem Three Houses was one of the most successful games on the Switch and that's a hardcore strategy JRPG.

Persona 5 is approaching 10 milly sold. I don't think its as "dead" of a genre as people like to say it is. And to your point XIV is arguably the most healthy MMO on market not named WoW (which has been bleeding players for going on 3 years now). And lastly, JRPGs never actually relied on graphical power, that was a Final Fantasy thing. Most JRPGs rely heavily on art style and writing, much more that graphical power. That's the way it kinda always has been.

Persona, Dragon Quest, SaGa, Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, etc....these were NEVER the most graphically impressive games when they dropped. KH maybe, but even then the draw was the Disney IP and the art style and not that it had the most hyper realistic engine.
Well to be fair I wouldn't call Fire Emblem hardcore anymore. It has a good balance of being both casual/beginner friendly and hardcore. It gives you so many options between difficulties and getting to choose between classic and casual.

But you are right on the fact that JRPG's relied on art style more. Persona 5 is a big example like you people judging the quality of the game and not what it looks like. But you still have JRPG's like Trails of Cold Steel saga that is the opposite example where it was all the things people hate about anime-like JRPG's.

I think with FF it was always a series that evolved. Everyone who complains that it isn't turn based you got DQ, Kiseki and the SMT series (including Persona). As the ones that def will stick with turn-based. But it would be a big deal if FF XVI was the first console hit since X. Since the criticisms of the series being mediocore since it stopped being turned-based can be put to rest.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Exactly.

I mean you say this as if there's not a bunch of "weebs" with Tifa bodypillows and shyt. Not everybody that likes a video game beyond the scope of what you're interested in is a stereotype. Some people just like JRPGs and they hear about some shyt online and play it.

Once you step outside the popular mainstream games and it quickly turns into people being condescending, talking up negative stereotypes, and trying to shame people. Ironically Final Fantasy is just as anime and "weebish" deep down as all that other shyt.