Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Daps
I don't think SE (or Sony) forsaw this global component shortage when deciding on the exclusivity

They'd be losing on a lot of sales making it next-gen only, if it's really slated for next year/
That decision was already made years ago. People say the pandemic made games cross gen, when it is a business strategy the companies agreed upon years ago.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Considering what got shown was pre alpha graphics I'd say it aint look that bad. I thought XVI was a PS5 exclusive?
It’s PS5 console exclusive. It will come to PC eventually. It’s obvious with the Yuffie DLC that SE is moving on from the PS4 at least concerning FF.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
That decision was already made years ago. People say the pandemic made games cross gen, when it is a business strategy the companies agreed upon years ago.
You're telling me Sony factored this unforeseen global chip shortage into their forecast years ago?

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I'm saying cross gen is a decision made years ago so people saying it is because of COVID doesn't make sense.
It's rumored that GT7 (one of their larger selling IPs) was only decided to also release on PS4 late in it's development.

If Sony decided to hedge with GoW, HZD with cross-gen, you don't think SE is now having those same reservations?

Daps
It's rumored that GT7 (one of their larger selling IPs) was only decided to also release on PS4 late in it's development.

If Sony decided to hedge with GoW, HZD with cross-gen, you don't think SE is now having those same reservations?
Assuming GOW 2, Horizon 2, began development in 2017 and 2018, 3-4 years of development would have already passed and the specs of the game games would have already been laid out. This has already been confirmed by GG and SM. COVID wouldn't have suddenly made them make the decision to make it cross gen. Development started on PS4, Sony introduced the PS5 dev kits later on, and the companies saw an opportunity for max profit by making a supped up version for the PS5. GT7 probably wasn't that far along development anyway since it's GT and there was enough time to make it cross gen.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Assuming GOW 2, Horizon 2, began development in 2017 and 2018, 2-3 years of development would have already passed and the specs of the game games would have already been laid out. This has already been confirmed by GG and SM. COVID wouldn't have suddenly made them make the decision to make it cross gen. Development started on PS4, Sony introduced the PS5 dev kits later on, and the companies saw an opportunity for max profit by making a boosted PS4 version for the PS5. GT7 probably wasn't that far along development anyway since it's GT and there was enough time to make it cross gen.
I 100% believe, if there was no pandemic, and no global chip shortage, I believe all of those titles would be PS5 only

except for FF16 and maaaaybe GoW

Daps
Why didn't they make a PS4 version for Ratchet? and even Demon Souls?
Ratchet and Clank and Demon's Souls most likely started development later. Horizon 2 and GOW2 started in 2017/2018 before they had final PS5 dev kits so they had to start on PS4. They probably decided to make the big established franchises cross gen and the smaller IPs and new IPs PS5 exclusive. I don't expect any major cross gen first party studio titles after the first half of 2022. Even if they have cross gen past that and into 2023, they will probably have a mix of cross gen and PS5 exclusive AAA games each year. I expect each new first party studio IP to be PS5 exclusive. I don't see a game like Spiderman 2 being cross gen since that is probably a 2023 release.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
even if there were no pandemic, they would still be cross gen

This this thiiiiis

all these 2021 scheduled games were always gonna be cross gen. They spent the brunt of their production time on ps4 dev kits. The only reason cross gen support is being extended into 2022 is because of covid delays and chip shortages

what this means for ff16, I’m not sure but SE doesn’t have to play by the same cross gen rules as sony

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Ratchet and Clank and Demon's Souls most likely started development later. Horizon 2 and GOW2 started in 2017/2018 before they had final PS5 dev kits so they had to start on PS4. They probably decided to make the big established franchises cross gen and the smaller IPs and new IPs PS5 exclusive. I don't expect any major cross gen first party studio titles after the first half of 2022. Even if they have cross gen past that and into 2023, they will probably have a mix of cross gen and PS5 exclusive AAA games each year. I expect each new first party studio IP to be PS5 exclusive. I don't see a game like Spiderman 2 being cross gen since that is probably a 2023 release.

Nah, Spidey 2 gonna be crossgen. I can't even give a good reason for it not to. But the PS5 version will be better, so it don't matter to me. The PS4 versions will just have to run in lower rez :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nah, Spidey 2 gonna be crossgen. I can't even give a good reason for it not to. But the PS5 version will be better, so it don't matter to me. The PS4 versions will just have to run in lower rez :yeshrug:

No game that releases in 2023 (from Sony) will be cross gen. I will put money on that