Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
It'll probably get pushed back, it's easier to push games back now with C-19 as an excuse.

In saying that, I'd imagine Square will want it out for the next fiscal year (so before Feb 2022). It's likely to clash with GoW 2 in that case.

Q1 is a DEAD zone for games nowadays. People don't stop playing what they got over the holidays fast enough. Its either Holiday 2021 or early Q2 2022. Late March/April.

Daps
It'll probably get pushed back, it's easier to push games back now with C-19 as an excuse.

In saying that, I'd imagine Square will want it out for the next fiscal year (so before Feb 2022). It's likely to clash with GoW 2 in that case.
It will be fine
GOW2 and FF16 will release anywhere from Sep 2021-May 2022
I hope FF16 and GOW2 both make 2021
Even if both get delayed to 2022 and are close to release of one another, people are hungry for video games more than ever before because of the pandemic
Look at Hitman 3 and the RE8 big titty vampire lady viral sensation
People who have a PS5 are going to want the latest PS5 exclusives (Ragnarok could be cross gen though) to experience what the PS5 is capable of and to see what the graphics look like on their tv
FF16 won't have any problem selling even if it clashes w/ GOW2 since people will be hungry for games

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Q1 is a DEAD zone for games nowadays. People don't stop playing what they got over the holidays fast enough. Its either Holiday 2021 or early Q2 2022. Late March/April.
capcom has taken advantage of that with resident evil and monster hunter.

crazy success with world and RE2 releasing early first quarter. a mainline final fantasy title released in that time window with nothing else to compete with has to look attractive if they're as close to finished with it as they say they are.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
capcom has taken advantage of that with resident evil and monster hunter.

crazy success with world and RE2 releasing early first quarter. a mainline final fantasy title released in that time window with nothing else to compete with has to look attractive if they're as close to finished with it as they say they are.

You're 100% Right on Capcom.

...but Square would be competing with itself and they hardly ever do that even in the summer/fall. As a FAN I'd like it to happen...but just based of how they operate as a company I don't see it happening.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's no way

FFXVI has been in production longer than FF7R-2

XVI been in development for the past three years. And its the FFXIV team...the one that actually knows how to put out games on time. I think Holiday 2021 is DOABLE but ambitions.

Also, 7R 2 hasn't even been spoken about. I don't expect that until 2024 PS5 exclusive. There's no way they clip XVI's earnings by dropping VIIIR the very next year. Square almost NEVER does back to back years with big games like that. The only exception was back in 99/2000 when VIII and IX were developed at the same time.

When i'm proven right I want reps and specific posts :bow: to me from the both of you :ufdup:

Man said FFVIIR2 is coming out in 2024 and that the developers have said nothing about the game when the developers have already said it wouldn't take aslong to make as the first one and there's tons of info about the game coming out all the time :deadmanny::mjlol:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 Will Surprise Players

Literally from yesterday :bryan:

Let alone way back in december the japanese actors that play aerith and sephiroth spoke about doing loads of mocap scenes together

Final Fantasy VII Remake’s Aerith Recorded Four Hour Session With Sephiroth Mocap Actor

And this is just the tip of yhe iceberg of info that's been released...but yer, its not been spoken about :mjpls:

I know what you're referring to in that no official trailers have been released yet but i think its obvious they don't want to do what they did last time by releasing trailers earlier than they should like they did with part 1. It's coming out early 2023...it wont take no damn 4 years to make the second part :dead:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
When i'm proven right I want reps and specific posts :bow: to me from the both of you :ufdup:

Man said FFVIIR2 is coming out in 2024 and that the developers have said nothing about the game when the developers have already said it wouldn't take aslong to make as the first one and there's tons of info about the game coming out all the time :deadmanny::mjlol:

Let alone way back in december the japanese actors that play aerith and sephiroth spoke about doing loads of mocap scenes together

Final Fantasy VII Remake’s Aerith Recorded Four Hour Session With Sephiroth Mocap Actor

And this is just the tip of yhe iceberg of info that's been released...but yer, its not been spoken about :mjpls:

I know what you're referring to in that no official trailers have been released yet but i think its obvious they don't want to do what they did last time by releasing trailers earlier than they should like they did with part 1. It's coming out early 2023...it wont take no damn 4 years to make the second part :dead:

I wouldn't be surprised if remake pt 2 came out next year. People just think cause of how long the first one took to make it's gonna take them 10 years and shyt to make the next one. The foundation is already there, they don't have anywhere near as much work to do this time. If it takes them 5 years to put out remake pt 2 they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I wouldn't be surprised if remake pt 2 came out next year. People just think cause of how long the first one took to make it's gonna take them 10 years and shyt to make the next one. The foundation is already there, they don't have anywhere near as much work to do this time. If it takes them 5 years to put out remake pt 2 they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

I don’t see it happening for the simple fact that it’s nomura and they still haven’t even decided if its gonna be open world or more enclosed just only half a year ago they still hadn’t decided this. I also think if they are planning on making this a trilogy this part has to be longer than part 1.

shyt, kingdom hearts mechanics wise isn’t that much different than part 2 year it still took my entire adult life to be made, same with ff15.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

You aren't factoring in COVID which Part 1 didn't have to deal with. And the simple fact that there's a new gen in the mix, yes its already in development but even if you cut dev time in HALF and don't factor in COVID that's a 2.5 year (at the LEAST) development cycle. Factor in covid and we'll say a 3 year cycle. Which means its either March or Holiday 2023/24. My point was that it for sure WASN'T coming out in 2022. And based on how SquareEnix has developed games for the better part of a decade...to expect anything less than 3 years is WISHFUL THINKING.

I'd love to be shocked, I'd love to be wrong....but I just don't think they'll rush this game.

Even with previous assets they'd have to make SO much still. Beyond certain character models. Remember back with OG Midgar is the ONLY place in the world that looks like that...so outside of Junon you'd be building almost three to four times as many unique assets depending on how far they go into the story. But even if they stop at the end of disc 1 they'd have to make.

at least 9 towns all with side quests and recorded dialogue
redesign nearly every enemy and boss battle
record new story dialogue and cutscenes
overhaul Gold Saucer and its mini-games (and probably add more)
record new music

If they wanted to FINSH the story in one go...they could totally take another three years making it (from now).

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
You aren't factoring in COVID which Part 1 didn't have to deal with. And the simple fact that there's a new gen in the mix, yes its already in development but even if you cut dev time in HALF and don't factor in COVID that's a 2.5 year (at the LEAST) development cycle. Factor in covid and we'll say a 3 year cycle. Which means its either March or Holiday 2023/24. My point was that it for sure WASN'T coming out in 2022. And based on how SquareEnix has developed games for the better part of a decade...to expect anything less than 3 years is WISHFUL THINKING.

I'd love to be shocked, I'd love to be wrong....but I just don't think they'll rush this game.

Even with previous assets they'd have to make SO much still. Beyond certain character models. Remember back with OG Midgar is the ONLY place in the world that looks like that...so outside of Junon you'd be building almost three to four times as many unique assets depending on how far they go into the story. But even if they stop at the end of disc 1 they'd have to make.

at least 9 towns all with side quests and recorded dialogue
redesign nearly every enemy and boss battle
record new story dialogue and cutscenes
overhaul Gold Saucer and its mini-games (and probably add more)
record new music

If they wanted to FINSH the story in one go...they could totally take another three years making it (from now).

They aren't gonna do it all in one go, which is why I don't think it will take that long. Two years between release dates as episodes would be great. Hell I fully expect them to put out some form of DLC as soon as they announce the Xbox, PC and next gen versions. The potential to make money off DLC for the game is too great for me to believe they wouldn't capitalize on it. Hell they already teased a Tifa solo chapter DLC and look at the overwhelming amount of positive feedback it got. They gonna milk FF7R to death and it is gonna be easier to do that by keeping it coming. They already trademarked two spin offs for it already. Believe me it's coming, COVID is probably the only thing that has delayed the announcements.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
They also have the new endwalker expansion for thier ff14 mmo coming out this summer which is going to be big. I would not expect ff16 to release until the holidays this year at the earliest. Endwalker q2 and ff16 q4 would be most likely

And they are releasing ff14 ps5 version with improved graphics in April

Ff7r sequel definitely not coming out till next summer at the least if you are being hopeful

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I just pray it resembles FF7R combat system, as that had elements of action and RPG.

I’m done with hoping for games to be anything. However it comes out comes out and it will be judged accordingly and not on expectations i set for it. It’s much more enjoyable that way.

Plus i want to see more AAA developers change shyt up more often. I get tired of these designers playing it safe and giving us the same gameplay every other game already has

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't mind if Square Enix remakes all their old turn based Final Fantasy for nostalgia purposes and keeps the series going in the action based direction.

I was replaying FF12:ZA last week and bruh that game has aged better than any other Final Fantasy. All that game was missing was a journal otherwise you would think it could of came out recently. It truly was ahead of it's time.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
I wouldn't mind if Square Enix remakes all their old turn based Final Fantasy for nostalgia purposes and keeps the series going in the action based direction.

I was replaying FF12:ZA last week and bruh that game has aged better than any other Final Fantasy. All that game was missing was a journal otherwise you would think it could of came out recently. It truly was ahead of it's time.

I'd like them to remAke 6 using an anime style cell shaded engine like gravity rush :banderas: