Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Is it me or this game is way too easy?
Thats how I felt with the demo. I'd accidentally equipped those rings not realizing that they put the game on easy mode. But even when I took them off, the game was still so button mashy. Yes, you can time the dodge and try and get the perfect dodge, but it just didn't seem to have the weight behind it that a game like Zelda does. In that game, the perfect dodge seems to really screw the enemy. It feels like you really got the one up on them. But not in this game. And I don't think I used the parry one time in the FF demo. I've looked at some of the reviews and other videos to see how the game evolves later. Hoping that maybe the RPG experience saves it and maybe the hack n slash aspect gives way to an "easy to learn, hard to master" type situation. But that doesn't seem the case from what I've seen.

Honestly, it's like the game is all flash and no substance. Like they put a bunch of effort into a lot of dazzling effects and cool cinematic sequences as opposed to really deep combat or deep RPG mechanics. Even the IGN review, which is a glowing review, mentions how the RPG aspect of the game is pretty lackluster. How is that possible in a damn RPG? I don't mind if they make FF into an action game. Just don't call it an RPG. Call it an action game. LOL.

I’m glad to hear this as I don’t have a PS5….:mjcry:
Brotha, you aren't missing anything at all.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Mofo has cosmic power and he does Doordash on the side for a restaurant it would take people 2 minutes or less to reach on foot.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I’m glad to hear this as I don’t have a PS5….:mjcry:
I understand his complaint from a combat perspective, but at the same time. turn based combat isn't really a thing in AAA titles anymore. So i'm not sure what he expected. They could do some Ghost of Tsushima type combat system, instead i guess. but japanese developers generally take a more arcadey enemy damage sponge approach to combat.
it's more the fact that this doesn't do as much of the RPG side of things as expecting.i expected more character custimization appearance wise, and less linearity with the quests

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
It's still a great game btw, but it's basically FF7 remake but without to ability to switch between party members.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I understand his complaint from a combat perspective, but at the same time. turn based combat isn't really a thing in AAA titles anymore. So i'm not sure what he expected. They could do some Ghost of Tsushima type combat system, instead i guess. but japanese developers generally take a more arcadey enemy damage sponge approach to combat.
it's more the fact that this doesn't do as much of the RPG side of things as expecting.i expected more character custimization appearance wise, and less linearity with the quests
I wasn't expecting anything. I wasn't even checking for FF. I went in fresh with no expectations. I just prefer a less arcadey button mashey combat style. And that's in any game. Not just FF. I'm not some FF purist that believe the games have to be turn based. But I expected them to still hearken back to that era with a combat system that at least involved a little strategy. A bit of methodical combat that requires a little brain power can't possibly be too much to expect from a Final Fantasy game, can it?

And who cares if "turn based combat" isn't a thing. Is there a rule that said they couldn't do that? Again, I'm not advocating this, but the idea that if they did do that, it would be some slap in the face of gamers is crazy. But I do believe if they did it, less people would buy it. It's clear they want button mashey ridiculousness.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I wasn't expecting anything. I wasn't even checking for FF. I went in fresh with no expectations. I just prefer a less arcadey button mashey combat style. And that's in any game. Not just FF. I'm not some FF purist that believe the games have to be turn based. But I expected them to still hearken back to that era with a combat system that at least involved a little strategy. A bit of methodical combat that requires a little brain power can't possibly too much to expect from a Final Fantasy game, can it?

And who cares if "turn based combat" isn't a thing. Is there a rule that said they couldn't do that? Again, I'm not advocating this, but the idea that if they did do that, it would be some slap in the face of gamers is crazy. But I do believe if they did it, less people would buy it. It's clear they want button mashey ridiculousness.
Honestly this isn't my favorite type of combat system either, but it is largely what i expected them to do
it's mostly just enjoyable to me because of the spectacle, in FF15 you could do more aerial combat which almost felt like it was straight out of an anime
This scene in that game made that combat system worth it for me for example.

So far in this game its the ability to control and fight as the summons that is making it standout.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly this isn't my favorite type of combat system either, but it is largely what i expected them to do
it's mostly just enjoyable to me because of the spectacle, in FF15 you could do more aerial combat which almost felt like it was straight out of an anime
This scene in that game made that combat system worth it for me for example.

So far in this game its the ability to control and fight as the summons that is making it standout.

FFXV's combat system was one of the most mindless and annoying combat system's I've played in an RPG. It felt like whatever happened on screen was random and wasn't a result of what I did to be honest. It just felt floaty and nonsensical paired with a bad camera obstructing whatever was going on.

FFVIIR's combat was great, I preferred how it played largely over XV.

FFXV's combat from the little fights I've played in the demo were much more sound. It felt like each button press and move was done by the player even if it's easy so far but again this is the start of the game I don't expect it to stay easy.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
FFXV's combat system was one of the most mindless and annoying combat system's I've played in an RPG. It felt like whatever happened on screen was random and wasn't a result of what I did to be honest. It just felt floaty and nonsensical paired with a bad camera obstructing whatever was going on.

FFVIIR's combat was great, I preferred how it played largely over XV.

FFXV's combat from the little fights I've played in the demo were much more sound. It felt like each button press and move was done by the player even if it's easy so far but again this is the start of the game I don't expect it to stay easy.
That particular boss fight if you had mastered the aerial skill tree, was awesome. Sad part is that was one of only two opportunities in that game the fight like that. Second time was at the very end of the game.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm still having a hard time understanding what everyone sees in this game. Been playing FF for years. But this shyt feels like Final Devil May Cry. Just hackin and slashin all over the place. I'll gladly bow out on this one.

Got it, no need for you to post in this thread ever again then. :yeshrug:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Got it, no need for you to post in this thread ever again then. :yeshrug:

This fukking clown only played the demo. :deadrose: And saying the fukking combat in ZELDA is better than this??? :russ::russ::russ:

Breh go play the game for more than two fukking hours and go do "button mashey" against the humanoid bosses (or any of the bosses). This fukking forum man. :what:
No, I think I'll post as much as I want. I don't think you can do a damn thing about it either fukkboy. Do I hurt your feelings because I don't like some game your stanning? The game is a button mashy hack n slash mess. But if you like it that's cool. Says a lot about you muh boi......

Look at this button mashing. :mjcry:

:heh: I don't even see what you are arguing about. It looks like I hit the nail on the head.