Film Room's Top 10 Movies of 2017 - we have a winner!

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ill Use Wiki to further my point

Oscar bait
is a term used in the film community for movies that appear to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations for Academy Awards or "Oscars", as they are commonly known.[1] They are usually released just in advance of Oscar season, late in the calendar year, so as to meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the awards and be fresh in the minds of Oscar voters. The prestige or acclaim the studio may receive from the nomination or award is often secondary to the increased box office receipts such a film may garner; some films may even be depending on it to turn a profit.[2][3][4][5]

Films seen as Oscar bait often have distinct characteristics. Lavishly produced epic length period dramas, often set against tragic historical events such as The Holocaust, are frequently seen this way and often contend for the technical Oscars such as cinematography, makeup and hairstyling, costume design or production design.[6] Alternatively, if set in the present, the plot may center on a character with a physical or mental disability. The cast may well include actors with previous awards or nominations, a trait that may also be shared by the director or writer.

Oscar Rollout. Check. Period Drama. Check. Character with a disability. Check.

To top off the film mostly takes placeb above a theatre,constantly has references and footage of films that would appeal to the bias of academy members,takes place during the "golden era"for the age group of them....I could go on and on.

The film is as cut and dry Oscar Bait as it gets. The films desperation was palpable.

Well Lord knows I couldn’t possibly disagree with anything on Wikipedia. The same place where I was able to write Bruce Jenner was friends with Craig Mack and it stood there for at least a day until it was edited.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Being released in hopes of getting an Oscar nod doesn’t mean it’s oscar bait breh. The two aren’t synonymous. It’s a love story about a woman and a fish helmed by a Spanish director with a love for universal monster movies. I don’t think shape of water is designed for Oscars outside of makeup of course.
See post above. The film was obnoxious with how obvious it was desperate to appeal to academy members.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Well Lord knows I couldn’t possibly disagree with anything on Wikipedia. The same place where I was able to write Bruce Jenner was friends with Craig Mack and it stood there for at least a day until it was edited.
Are you suggesting none of what was listed classifies as Oscar bait? Instead of attacking the source with ad hominem,actually refute the points.

A period drama love story about a character with a disability is not oscar bait?

A films roll out specifically designed around Oscar nominations is not oscar bait?

I'm not actually seeing any counter arguments being brought to the table.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Are you suggesting none of what was listed classifies as Oscar bait? Instead of attacking the source with ad hominem,actually refute the points.

I’m suggesting that it’s not a hardened fast rule and to use Wikipedia as a source to buttress your argument isn’t the move. That’s like using dr suess books as proof that you’re educated.

What wiki doesn’t put is those Oscar bait movies are engineered and normally have no heart to them. They’re rarely personal stories. Oscar bait has a negative connotation and I wouldn’t think of applying that connotation to a very personal movie del toro made. The kings speech? Most definitely. But not The Shape of Water.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I’m suggesting that it’s not a hardened fast rule and to use Wikipedia as a source to buttress your argument isn’t the move. That’s like using dr suess books as proof that you’re educated.

What wiki doesn’t put is those Oscar bait movies are engineered and normally have no heart to them. They’re rarely personal stories. Oscar bait has a negative connotation and I wouldn’t think of applying that connotation to a very personal movie del toro made. The kings speech? Most definitely. But not The Shape of Water.
Like I said, it's a period drama love story about a character with a disability. It wears its Oscar bait badge on its sleeve.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
And like I said Oscar bait implies negative and no heart or soul. This is the exact opposite of all that
The film checks all the boxes of typical Oscar bait fluff. It has some combination of every cliche Oscar film you can think of.

If you didn't like the film you would be saying the same thing,but you do,so instead it has heart and soul. I'm sure it's heart and soul being exactly the stuff the academy drools on themselves for is just a coincidence.:skip:,

You see heart and soul, I see a cynical awards grab of a film. :hubie:

Im just calling a spade a spade. If you want to romanticize this film the way academy members romanticize the period it's set in have at it.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The film checks all the boxes of typical Oscar bait fluff. It has some combination of every cliche Oscar film you can think of.

If you didn't like the film you would be saying the same thing,but you do,so instead it has heart and soul. I'm sure it's heart and soul being exactly the stuff the academy drools on themselves for is just a coincidence.:skip:,

You see heart and soul, I see a cynical awards grab of a film. :hubie:

Not at all. Me liking it has nothing to do with it. shyt I like the Kings speech but it’s obvious Oscar bait.