Film Room's Top 10 Movies of 2017 - we have a winner!

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Well it's a poll, so everyone's list matters. But if we're talking about posters whose opinions I really care about, yes those three, @Tasha And, @jayshiggs, and probably anyone else who can give a credible review because they actually stayed to see the entire movie.
Thanks but in order for me to make a decent list there are a few Oscar bait movies I want to see first (Bladerunner 2049, Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name, Good Time).

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I still have about ten movies I want to see before I create a list.

I've also discovered in the last year or so that I don't like creating lists for art. There really isn't much separating the #4 film and the #12 film on lists for me, other than what I feel that particular day. And it changes all of the time. So I'll list 10, but the order will probably just be based on what films I want to see represented for sentimental purposes.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I still have about ten movies I want to see before I create a list.

I've also discovered in the last year or so that I don't like creating lists for art. There really isn't much separating the #4 film and the #12 film on lists for me, other than what I feel that particular day. And it changes all of the time. So I'll list 10, but the order will probably just be based on what films I want to see represented for sentimental purposes.
I agree. I own 7 of my honorable mentions which didn't make my top 10. Plus another that didn't make either cut.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I don't begrudge your disliking it, but it's neither pretentious nor Oscar bait. I don't even know how you can call something that weird Oscar bait.
The film is both pretentious and Oscar bait. It checks almost every box that academy members can't help but fellate themselves to. When that musical number hit del Toro might as well have come out on screen holding a sign that said "please give me an Oscar. Remember Pan's Labyrinth?"

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The film is both pretentious and Oscar bait. It checks almost every box that academy members can't help but fellate themselves to. When that musical number hit del Toro might as well have come out on screen holding a sign that said "please give me an Oscar. Remember Pan's Labyrinth?"

You and I have very different definitions of Oscar Bait I guess. I don't think anything so firmly planted in FANTASY deserves that pejorative.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
You and I have very different definitions of Oscar Bait I guess. I don't think anything so firmly planted in FANTASY deserves that pejorative.
So a film that gets the cookie cutter standard Oscar theatre roll out package specifically designed around a behind the scenes oscar push is not Oscar bait? :ohhh:

Why else would they do it then? A film being "weird" or "fantasy" does not preclude something from being Oscar bait.

Oscar Bait is a film released and designed specifically to win Oscars. Id say that label fits this film perfectly.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Getting an "Oscar push" doesn't mean a film is Oscar bait.

The Darkest Hour is Oscar bait. The King's Speech, The Imitation Game, The Artist, Fences, The Danish Girl etc are what I think of as Oscar bait.

Nothing about Shape has that feel to me.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So a film that gets the cookie cutter standard Oscar theatre roll out package specifically designed around a behind the scenes oscar push is not Oscar bait? :ohhh:

Why else would they do it then? A film being "weird" or "fantasy" does not preclude something from being Oscar bait.

Oscar Bait is a film released and designed specifically to win Oscars. Id say that label fits this film perfectly.

Being released in hopes of getting an Oscar nod doesn’t mean it’s oscar bait breh. The two aren’t synonymous. It’s a love story about a woman and a fish helmed by a Spanish director with a love for universal monster movies. I don’t think shape of water is designed for Oscars outside of makeup of course.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Ill Use Wiki to further my point

Oscar bait
is a term used in the film community for movies that appear to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations for Academy Awards or "Oscars", as they are commonly known.[1] They are usually released just in advance of Oscar season, late in the calendar year, so as to meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the awards and be fresh in the minds of Oscar voters. The prestige or acclaim the studio may receive from the nomination or award is often secondary to the increased box office receipts such a film may garner; some films may even be depending on it to turn a profit.[2][3][4][5]

Films seen as Oscar bait often have distinct characteristics. Lavishly produced epic length period dramas, often set against tragic historical events such as The Holocaust, are frequently seen this way and often contend for the technical Oscars such as cinematography, makeup and hairstyling, costume design or production design.[6] Alternatively, if set in the present, the plot may center on a character with a physical or mental disability. The cast may well include actors with previous awards or nominations, a trait that may also be shared by the director or writer.

Oscar Rollout. Check. Period Drama. Check. Character with a disability. Check.

To top off the film mostly takes place above a theatre,constantly has references and footage of films that would appeal to the bias of academy members,takes place during the "golden era"for the age group of them....I could go on and on.

The film is as cut and dry Oscar Bait as it gets. The films desperation was palpable.