Fences (Official Thread)

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Apparently Natalie Portman is a lock to win the oscar for playing Jackie Kennedy. So Viola has no choice but to go supporting if she wants to win. I agree she shouldn't back down, but it seems they intel that Portman is getting the award no matter what.

fukk what the intel says, she's not a supporting actress in this movie....she's the lead actress, right beside denzel's lead actor....she should go head to head with portman...i get portman is playing a loved historcial figure, which is gonna get her votes, and while i like her as an actress, she's not seeing viola...especially in a role that viola already won a tony for....i think she'd win and i think a lot of them think the same, that's why they trying to help portman out by not having her in the same category....it's like they trying to stack the deck for portman, while also throwing viola a bone with the supporting actress nod....playing some behind the scenes politics to please everyone...fukk that...let her be in the main event...if portman's acting is better, so be it; but the same should go the other way too....if viola's is better, so be it....

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
decembercover-noupc3-2.jpg

The stars speak on honoring the legacy of August Wilson, dissecting the colossal effect of deferred dreams, and showcasing the breadth and beauty of the African American experience on film.

The holidays will be extra special this year when Denzel Washington and Viola Davis gift viewers their award-winning performances in August Wilson’s Fences.

Before the film arrives in theaters Christmas Day, the Hollywood heavyweights share the spotlight on ESSENCE’s December cover. The stars speak on honoring the legacy of August Wilson, dissecting the colossal effect of deferred dreams, and showcasing the breadth and beauty of the African American experience on film.

Bringing the brilliance of August Wilson beyond Broadway has always been a dream for Denzel Washington, who pulls double duty as director and star of Fences. The story centers on the midlife crisis of Troy Maxson (played by Washington) and how his “unrealized pain” produces a ripple effect throughout his broken family, especially on his wife Rose (Viola Davis).

The big screen adaptation is a reunion for the actors, who both won Tony Awards for their 2010 performances on Broadway. Washington considers Wilson a master storyteller and he’s committed to bringing Wilson’s ten-play series, affectionately known as the Century Cycle, beyond the stage.

But he wants to clear up one Hollywood rumor: “I’m not directing or acting in all the rest of them…that I know of!” The two-time Oscar winner’s focus now is on Fences. He says, “What’s most important to me is that I take care of his words and his will for this play.”

Leading lady Viola Davis should be making room next to her Emmy for an Oscar. Critics already see an Academy Award in Davis’s future for playing long suffering wife Rose. Still, there were challenges coming back to such familiar material.

Says Davis, “It’s not always that a director can say one thing that unlocks a scene when you’re blocked, especially with a scene that you’ve done so many times, but Denzel did that time and time again. He has a huge honesty gauge, so when he asked me to trust him, I did.”

That trust is felt from the other costars in Fences, including actor Russell Hornsby, who plays Tory’s firstborn son Lyon, and Jovan Adepo, who stars as teen Cory.

“First and foremost, Denzel came to the moment with love,” says Hornsby. “Those were some of the first words out of his mouth: ‘We love these people.’” Says Adepo on filming with Davis, “Watching her work to find the truth within a scene was so humbling for me. She’s just awesome.”

Love was felt all around the day of Davis and Washington’s cover shoot as well.
The pair, who first worked together in 2002 on Washington’s directorial debut Antwone Fisher, connected like old friends in front of the ESSENCE camera. At Washington’s request, jazz was the preferred on set sound and the duo fell right in step on the Paramount Pictures backlot in Hollywood. Hopefully they will be in hand in hand as newly minted Oscar winners soon.
For more on Fences, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, pick up a copy of our December issue, on newsstands November 11.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
It's a wrap guys, Denzel and Viola got Hollywood by the balls. Denzel has won twice off Five Nominations and Viola has 2 nominations without a win. They about to clean up with this. I still want "Birth of a Nation" to atleast get some nominations but this movie is the one Oscar voters will go for clearly. As someone posted, the early reviews are already huge. People are completely showering this movie already off press and critic screenings.

Denzel+Washington+Viola+Davis+64th+Annual+ZA5dMq9Voevl.jpg

Denzel Washington, Viola Davis Become Instant Oscar Frontrunners in ‘Fences’

Tony - Check
Golden Globe ?
SAG ?
Oscar ?
Viola looking fukkable in that pic :whoo:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Metacritic not that great for a potential oscar contender (67) :francis:
Fences

For reference

Birth of a Nation 68
Moonlight 99
Hacksaw Ridge 71
Manchester by the Sea 95
Lala Land 91
Arrival 81
Hell or Highwater 88

Maybe it picks up later..

90 on RT tho :manny::ehh:

Last edited:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Metacritic not that great for a potential oscar contender (67) :francis:
Fences

For reference

Birth of a Nation 68
Moonlight 99
Hacksaw Ridge 71
Manchester by the Sea 95
Lala Land 91
Arrival 81
Hell or Highwater 88

Maybe it picks up later..

90 on RT tho :manny::ehh:

trust crackers when it comes to positive black images

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Might not get the best picture push but it can still get director, actor, actress nods with those kind of scores.