Glad to see a glimpse of Mykelti Williamson in that trailer
always liked him
What play is it based on ?

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
Denzel is so smooth with his play
that guy reallly can pull of any character

that's Courtney B. Vance with James Earl Jones (thought he was dead) in the 1987 clip
I'd like to see more vintage stage scenes like that

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
First critic screening reactions
Pete Hammond ‏@DeadlinePete 32m32 minutes ago
First film adaptation of August Wilson play EVER gets smash reaction and Fences thoroughly deserves it. Powerful stuff.

Scott Mantz ‏@MovieMantz 1h1 hour ago
FENCES: Holy moly, WOW! Powerful film! #DenzelWashington & #ViolaDavis are the stuff that GREAT PERFORMANCES are made of! #FencesMovie

Anne ThompsonVerified account ‏@akstanwyck 35s35 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA
Denzel Washington knocks Fences out of the park as director and actor; Viola Davis and Mykelti Williamson will also be Oscar Contenders.

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 2m2 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
Not sure Fences gets a Best Picture nod. Very much sticks to theatrical roots. Possible but unclear.
#fences #oscars

VoteVoteVote(Poland) ‏@DavidPoland 39s39 seconds ago
Fences is as expected. The material is strong. Can’t avoid the theatricality. Plenty of noms. Viola Davis probably locked for Sppt Actress.

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood 1m1 minute ago VA, Los Angeles
Denzel Washington & August Wilson’s “Fences” just ended — great adaptation, great play, Oscar grandeur. Best Pic, Actor, Supp. Actress.

Kristopher Tapley ‏@kristapley 22s23 seconds ago
Denzel is winning #3. Go ahead and engrave Viola's, too.

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 42s42 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA
Viola Davis is absolutely the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress for #fences #oscars

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 28s28 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA
Denzel Washington should get nominated for Best Actor. Very interesting race with Affleck. #fences #oscars

Jenelle Riley ‏@jenelleriley 9s9 seconds ago
Wow. Standing O for FENCES *during the credits*!

Sasha Stone ‏@AwardsDaily 17s18 seconds ago
Fences blew me away. It's all writing and acting but to watch pros like that with that script. I was bedazzled.

Kristopher Tapley ‏@kristapley 4m4 minutes ago
"Fences" is so good. So, so good.

Glenn Whipp ‏@GlennWhipp 16s17 seconds ago
This audience was really with FENCES. Big roars of approval and applause throughout. Lots of love for Denzel. Even more for Viola Davis.

Sasha Stone ‏@AwardsDaily 49s50 seconds ago
Fences is like watching Mamet or Shakespeare. Don't waste my time with a review if you don't get that it's all about the language.

Tim Gray ‏@timgray_variety 2m2 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
First #fences screening, audience applauded several times during film& goes but when cast comes onstage.

Kyle BuchananVerified account ‏@kylebuchanan 33s33 seconds ago
Denzel Washington is the only black actor to win two Oscars. FENCES is liable to extend that achievement by one.

Kyle BuchananVerified account ‏@kylebuchanan 1m1 minute ago
FENCES, full of titanic performances and well-measured support, will be a major awards contender. Viola Davis is unbeatable. Sorry, ladies.

Joe UtichiVerified account ‏@joeutichi 49s50 seconds ago
Denzel Washington's Fences charges ahead of the pack by miles. His masterpiece. Viola Davis makes the ground shake. Stunned. Moved.

David Geffner ‏@DGeffner 3m3 minutes ago
Best movie of the year race is on! Fences LA premiere. Awesome!

Kyle BuchananVerified account ‏@kylebuchanan 30s30 seconds ago
Denzel has more lines in the first 10 minutes of FENCES than any other Best Actor contender has got in their entire film
full

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It's a wrap guys, Denzel and Viola got Hollywood by the balls. Denzel has won twice off Five Nominations and Viola has 2 nominations without a win. They about to clean up with this. I still want "Birth of a Nation" to atleast get some nominations but this movie is the one Oscar voters will go for clearly. As someone posted, the early reviews are already huge. People are completely showering this movie already off press and critic screenings.

Denzel+Washington+Viola+Davis+64th+Annual+ZA5dMq9Voevl.jpg

Denzel Washington, Viola Davis Become Instant Oscar Frontrunners in ‘Fences’

Tony - Check
Golden Globe ?
SAG ?
Oscar ?

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
It's a wrap guys, Denzel and Viola got Hollywood by the balls. Denzel has won twice off Five Nominations and Viola has 2 nominations without a win. They about to clean up with this. I still want "Birth of a Nation" to atleast get some nominations but this movie is the one Oscar voters will go for clearly. As someone posted, the early reviews are already huge. People are completely showering this movie already off press and critic screenings.

Tony - Check
Golden Globe ?
SAG ?
Oscar ?
I personally think Nate should get nominated as Best Actor. Shame that he won't.

CapitalOne

Do You Believe...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Tony - Check
Golden Globe ?
SAG ?
Oscar ?
:woww2:

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i wonder how james earl jones feels. 25 years ago he would've won an oscar for this movie as well

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First critic screening reactions

full

the only thing i dont like about that: viola campaigning for supporting actress, instead of lead actress...fukk that, she should be in the main event category....and if her and denzel's acting is as good as it was in the play, there is no question they better walk away with the awards.....i mean, they won tonys for the same roles, which to me says a lot....

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
the only thing i dont like about that: viola campaigning for supporting actress, instead of lead actress...fukk that, she should be in the main event category....and if her and denzel's acting is as good as it was in the play, there is no question they better walk away with the awards.....i mean, they won tonys for the same roles, which to me says a lot....
Apparently Natalie Portman is a lock to win the oscar for playing Jackie Kennedy. So Viola has no choice but to go supporting if she wants to win. I agree she shouldn't back down, but it seems they intel that Portman is getting the award no matter what.