FAMU football team suspended after rap video shot in locker room

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Do I think top rank admins (President/Provost) knew about it? No.

Did the athletic department and coaching staff know? Yes. They’re trying to be Jackson State, so they said “why not?” They condoned it. Did they get spooked when they saw the finished product filled with wild lyrics and content? They damn sure did.

This isn’t an iPhone video; there was a full audio, video crew in a private area in the stadium.

Do I think the Nike relationship has a lot to do with the response? Absolutely. Do I think they called FAMU when they saw their logos front and center on jerseys and in a locker room they helped pay for, in a wild rap video? Absolutely.

Shutting down the ENTIRE program in the middle of camp for a season starting in a month is a lot more heavy handed than I would have expected for something like this. It’s not like a criminal offense happened.

I’m not saying the school has no standards, but the pressure they have on them from sponsors pushed the sledge hammer response.
I respect your opinion. I have a different take.

I don't think the music video shoot was authorized. 24 hours in a day, cannot tell when the artist and crew entered the facilities and shot footage. And who the other guys in the video were.

Its Summer session at FAMU, so how many football players are on campus now? What does "Suspending all football activities" mean in mid to late July?
Article says that camp wouldn't start until Aug 4. FAMU's response isn't heavy handed at all.

In the article I posted link to, the HC said they are going to get to the bottom of this today, as they have a team meeting scheduled.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Just saw an article that compared this case, to an instance of rappers getting express permission from U. of Oregon AD and school admin. to film a video in their facilities and showing their licensed apparel.

Same Ns and Bs content as the video shot at FAMU, and coincidentally the same athletic sponsor,

So, like I said earlier, the reaction at FAMU appears to have more to do with the University, AD, and Head Coach's standards than Nike's.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
We're prob hours away from some loser on twitter arguing this is white supremacy. At some point people have to understand context, decorum, and professionalism. If you want to cameo in an ignorant rap vid in the neighborhood, fine whatever. But these brehs couldn't think for 5 seconds and realize this content in the fukking locker room, with the school name/logo present, was a bad idea?

Just keep seeing shyt like this. If you want to twerk, you can twerk. But you wouldn't twerk at a...funeral. Or a church. Or an office setting. Yet we've got large groups of people who don't understand that and are so impulsive they either end up looking stupid or losing opportunities.
Respectability politics :troll:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@invalid
Don't know if you've seen this thread or heard about this story. Reminds me of the MV story you posted before.
Dudes not respecting the spaces they occupy , and being convinced to stoop down in the muck by others to degrade those spaces.

invalid

Banned
Daps
@invalid
Don't know if you've seen this thread or heard about this story. Reminds me of the MV story you posted before.
Dudes not respecting the spaces they occupy , and being convinced to stoop down in the muck by others to degrade those spaces.

Another case of brehs not having any situational awareness at all. Listened to the first couple of seconds of the video and couldn't believe it.

The football players present don't even have enough esteem for their school to sit back and say nah...this is a bad look.

Don't think they should be kicked off the team. But maybe sit out for a season. And the administration should take this time to have them really understand the history of the school, the spirit of HBCU's in general, and to explain to them that institutions like FAMU were created for the purposes of lifting the black masses from out of the muck, to inspire, and to have the black masses ascend. And that this culture is equally authentically black even though it looks different from some of the black communities from which they come.

Sometimes you just have to sit folks down and explain things. I would think that would be the purpose of orientation but sometimes it takes situations like these for people to get it.

drederick tatum

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Finally listened to it, whoever dude is should be suspended from the school of rap :scust:

Why is he rapping about pimping hoes surrounded by male football players in the men's locker room? Why is he holding two team equipment bags? How do I remove someone else's video from YouTube?

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dead:

Gen Z rap is fukkin hilariously bad that shyt sounded so terrible like the rest of the “current shyt” my stomach hurts from laughing so long🤣