external hard drive died?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
The easy stores have some of the best consumer drives in them (WD reds and whites that are rated for 24/7 NAS operation). Most people buy them up in droves to take them out of the enclosure and put them in file servers.

I’ve done this roughly 4 times and the drives are excellent. Can’t speak for the external hard drive enclosure though.

I keep all my shyt with proper handling. Hopefully these can last me a few years.

Also, I’m wondering if they die early cuz cats leave them connected in for so long. The only one I keep plug in is the one I use for movies/shows. But after reading this thread ima just drag the files to my HD.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I keep all my shyt with proper handling. Hopefully these can last me a few years.

Also, I’m wondering if they die early cuz cats leave them connected in for so long. The only one I keep plug in is the one I use for movies/shows. But after reading this thread ima just drag the files to my HD.

I think the failures are a combination of the enclosures themselves having a certain shelf-life, combined with movement of the enclosure. Even if you baby the external drives, you're still moving a mechanical hard drive around that's not really meant for all that movement. Not to mention the enclosures themselves aren't super padded or anything and don't have great shock absorption.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think the failures are a combination of the enclosures themselves having a certain shelf-life, combined with movement of the enclosure. Even if you baby the external drives, you're still moving a mechanical hard drive around that's not really meant for all that movement. Not to mention the enclosures themselves aren't super padded or anything and don't have great shock absorption.
So basically don’t drop your shyt. :ld:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
So basically don’t drop your shyt. :ld:

Never said anything about dropping. Even “normal” activities of transporting a drive in a bag going from place to place (like I see a lot of people doing) is still moving the drive around and adds up over an extended period of time. Obviously if you’re just putting it on a shelf and plugging it in it’s not as stressful on the drive.

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
In the future, get yourself a RAID enclosure with RAID 1 support. You put 2 disk drives in it and they back each other up. One goes down, you immediately replace it. Once a drive goes down, you’ve probably lost that data forever; recovery services are pretty expensive from what I know. And if you have anything sensitive on your drives, you can be assured that that information will be stolen.