EuroGamer: Now Xbox is really scary - editorial: A powerful conference, a scary future.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
curious about the ascent…reminds me of killzone liberation (PSP) as far as the look of the game…I loved that joint…game pass has rebounded well this year…adding the bethesda library really kicked things off right

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The level of care they've given to backwards compatibility, even upgrading the performance of older games on it hasn't gone unnoticed. The fact that they even allowed it at all is nice.

this is really underrated…the old games things is jokes but with current gen games still being relatively sparse across both systems, I’ve had fun playing updated old games in between current gen games…playing the dishonored series and sleeping dogs in 60 fps really made a noticeable difference

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
this is really underrated…the old games things is jokes but with current gen games still being relatively sparse across both systems, I’ve had fun playing updated old games in between current gen games…playing the dishonored series and sleeping dogs in 60 fps really made a noticeable difference
I was thinking of playing Xenosaga today. On PlayStation I gotta dig out my PS2. Lucky for me I still have a controller and a memory card both plugged into the damn thing but I haven’t used it in well over two decades so not sure it works. Hell I still have classic JRPGs like the Lunar games in PS1. I should be able to play those games on my PS5. It’s more than powerful enough to emulate that older hardware. Hell I believe Sony has working PS2 emulation on the PS4.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Satya has turned Microsoft into a cloud based company. Phil has intertwined the Xbox vision with the Microsoft vision, making it one and the same. That's why they are spending this money. They legit might have over a billion dollars currently wrap up in gaming development on just games. Once I understood the end goal, I knew what the outcome was going to be. However, I just did not know what speed they'd move at. It is beyond breakneck speed. In a few years, there is going to be an Xbox related something in more homes than any other gaming centric platform ever in less than, say, five years with the Xbox App loaded on televisions, the Xbox stick for hdmi outlets, consoles, tablets and computers.

Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft's biggest opportunity since Windows itself

Making that leap will require even more investment to grow out the cloud business, leading to more variety for current Xbox customers, along with more value, and more high-quality games. It drives Microsoft to try new things, it drives them to be more inclusive, and invest in accessibility technology. The returns will fund even more games, even more exclusives, and even more technological innovation, too. The rewards are already being reflected in Xbox's financials. And this is just the tip of the iceberg representing Xbox's slumbering potential that a perfect storm of leadership vision, and cloud tech advancement is making possible for the first time

It's happening. fukk you Steve Ballmer. fukk. You. I hope the Clippers lose tonight too.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Satya has turned Microsoft into a cloud based company. Phil has intertwined the Xbox vision with the Microsoft vision, making it one and the same. That's why they are spending this money. They legit might have over a billion dollars currently wrap up in gaming development on just games. Once I understood the end goal, I knew what the outcome was going to be. However, I just did not know what speed they'd move at. It is beyond breakneck speed. In a few years, there is going to be an Xbox related something in more homes than any other gaming centric platform ever in less than, say, five years with the Xbox App loaded on televisions, the Xbox stick for hdmi outlets, consoles, tablets and computers.

It's happening. fukk you Steve Ballmer. fukk. You. I hope the Clippers lose tonight too.
Nobody has ever put this kind of might behind game streaming and a gaming subscription service before. Some people just can't see it because they're used to gaming how we do now where you buy the hardware and buy the games individually. I will continue to say look at every other from of media and they're all going this way. Gamers not having to buy $500 consoles just to play new games. Not having to spend $70 per game on titles. Being able to hop in and out of a monthly sub as they see fit. It's just a win win for everyone involved. The only real tradeoff I see is gamers trading ownership of games for them as a service.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
For the price of a console and 1 game $570 you can have a Game Pass sub for 4.75 years. This buys you an instant persistent library of several hundred games and first party new releases day 1 as well as whatever games they partner with. The way it is now I spend $570 and that's a console and a single game.

As a gamer that's a win. You don't even have to hunt down a console on release day you just load it on what you have now.
For Microsoft they don't have to sell $500 hardware at a loss. Also when a game is sold at a store they don't even get all that. When you sub to that service all that money goes directly to them so that's a win for the company.

Again the down side is you give up ownership. For all the non-first party games they'll rotate in and out. I'd say that's a fair trade. Even so like Stadia they can give you the option to buy the other games even if it's through the cloud.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
E4NaUtOVEAA-Dx6

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
Competition is good. But again, none of those games are remotely close to being done, we're talking 2023 for most of those. If they were ready, they would've shown them. Get out of here with that doomsday bullshyt :mjlol:
And the annoying part is that they are almost all long games.
Fable, Avowed, and starfield in the same year you won't have time for many other games if you're a completionist

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And the annoying part is that they are almost all long games.
Fable, Avowed, and starfield in the same year you won't have time for many other games if you're a completionist

Its gonna be mid gen by the time those games come out.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For the price of a console and 1 game $570 you can have a Game Pass sub for 4.75 years. This buys you an instant persistent library of several hundred games and first party new releases day 1 as well as whatever games they partner with. The way it is now I spend $570 and that's a console and a single game.

As a gamer that's a win. You don't even have to hunt down a console on release day you just load it on what you have now.
For Microsoft they don't have to sell $500 hardware at a loss. Also when a game is sold at a store they don't even get all that. When you sub to that service all that money goes directly to them so that's a win for the company.

Again the down side is you give up ownership. For all the non-first party games they'll rotate in and out. I'd say that's a fair trade. Even so like Stadia they can give you the option to buy the other games even if it's through the cloud.
Don't get me wrong I completely understand the benefits it entails for MSFT. I may joke around in terms of games on a personal level but business-wise it makes sense and it's not a matter of if but WHEN others(Sony/NTDOY) adopt it. The upfront costs may be higher to the company but a freemium model to grow the customer base eventually can offset those costs via upselling. It's why MSFT is going ham offering $1 sign-ups for 1~2 months and/or constantly adding more and more content for the user. We live in a society that pays more money for convenience. It's not that we can't drive or catch a bus, we just rather press a button on our phone to have someone come pick us up or deliver food to us. This extends to entertainment and software usage.

MSFT would rather get way more users to join them at a cost while still being open to buying even more things while currently paying a sub. Whereas the old model is okay you have to buy this console first and then you can buy a game from our store(hopefully digital!).

First though - Why is the subscription world so important
It may seem obvious, but let's look at the true power of recurring revenue. While you may have to pay a larger portion up front to acquire a customer, the beauty of the recurring revenue world is that these customers are the gifts that keep on giving.

In a one time payment model, you get results like the below, where you make a profit, but in order to make more money on a customer, you have to sell them another item.

PI-GraphSlides-v1-nonrecurr.003.jpeg

Contrast this relationship with Monthly Recurring Revenue (MRR). Now, you may have higher costs upfront (traditionally at least), but the accumulated revenue very quickly covers those costs and then starts to exceed those costs within a reasonable amount of time.
PI-GraphSlides-v1-recurrrev.001.jpeg

The secret and beauty isn't in the recurring piece necessarily, but in the relationship building, which is accounted for through good ol' expansionary revenue. If you're able to get into that particular account and essentially upsell through added value (either through more usage of your product, add-ons, etc.) you can not only recover your customer acquisition cost (CAC) quicker, but you can maximize profits, as well.
PI-GraphSlides-v1-recurrexp.001.jpeg

How Adobe, GoPro, Microsoft, and Gillette saved their businesses through subscription revenue

Good read.

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
So somebody explain to me how the cloud is going to let me stream this great game in 4K on my tv app without lag, stuttering and all the other shyt.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

You posted this and Microsoft since coming into the gaming industry set the damm standard. You like trophies??? You like broadband in your homes with online play? You like hard drives in your system? You like gamertags?

Sony didn't innovate anything they are a typical Japanese company who don't like change. Sony would of been like Nintendo if it didn't follow Microsoft model