ESPN explains their approach to NBA coverage.......

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember being a big rachel nichols hater (i still am to some degree lol) but I thought she was the problem because she seemed to have a lot of power there and EP her own shows.

then she left and ESPN kept doing the same coverage and mikayla andrews became rachel nichols 2.0. that told me it comes from the top down and it sucks at the same time. make it make sesnse.

:mjcry:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The NFL never had to do the same thing the NBA did with being fake.
People love the violence of football and there seemed to be more parity or the sense that any team might have a shot any given year.
So that makes it more popular

The NBA took off once it started to adopt the rivalry story lines, the heel and face, the next big thing etc

Football is also more complex. So the fans have to understand the game at a deeper level.
Which makes the fans more knowledge.

With the NBA you hear alot of commentators refer to things that have nothing to do with x's and O's.
"His body language"... "jokic stood up the whole game"... "they didn't come to play".

Watching inside the NBA with Draymond and seeing people talk about the games on social media, shows me the basketball fan and culture is cooked

Yall love saying this dumb shyt :russ:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The NFL has entire shows dedicated to the X's and O's...
Imo that's more because the way football is played and designed. Players leave the huddle, line up on the line of scrimmage, QB is shotgun or under center, you have time to peep the receivers, RBs, and tight end's positions, etc. Then the ball is snapped and the play happens. After the play there's a long break to analyze said play with replays, commentary, etc. And then you restart the entire process all over again.

Basketball and soccer/football are free flowing and you have to wait until there's a break in action/time out until you can get some kind breakdown on plays or X's and O's -if they even talk about that during the break. I do get the complaints how the NBA is covered compared to the NFL, but the breaking down of X's & O's advantage goes to the NFL by default because of its downtime in between plays and heavy commercials and ads placements. There's only 15-20 of actual playtime in a 3 hour NFL or college game.

Daps
This literally what changed the NBA into what it is today.
The NBA execs understood this, so they started working the storylines and making players winners, losers, heros and villains.
ESPN and every entity associated with the NBA is in on it.

They basically just took the wwf model and applied it to basketball.
It's just Sports entertainment

For the love of God why do these idiots act like something that kept the NBA from going bankrupt like 50 years ago is something new

Charlie Sollers

All Star
Daps
NBA “fans” are increasingly content to ”view” games through highlights and y’all think the answer is more X’s and O’s programming :mjlol:
This right here. So many people who follow don't watch any games and just follow the league through TikTok, twitter and highlight packages on Youtube. It's wild.

Marlow Stanfield

Superstar
Daps
Realistically, how well do these shows do in comparison with your average overview/recap/preview show? And there are more ravenous football coaches and players at all levels soaking this shyt up than basketball. I’m sure the pop Warner system in the south has a bunch of out of shape dad coaches watching that shyt to implement with their 12-14 teams. And there’s more players on the field, a lot more plays and coverage to breakdown, and die hard football fans always wanna be them nikkas trying to call plays during the game vs watching scoring or blocks

Let's be real, not a lot of people are watching the "X's and O's" football shows. They're just not. Hence, why these shows come on at 1pm on Tuesday when the only competition at that time is All My Children.

If more people were interested in that kind of programming, it would be on during peak hours.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I mean when you look at the NBA discourse on this site and social media, their thought process makes total sense.

Posters are always complaining about it, yet stay engaging in said content.
fukkING EXACTLY

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Consider this:

Most people in Asia and Europe don't watch NBA games. They watch NBA highlights.

You got to give them the "summary" because they aren't watching these games and listening to the commentary.

4PM PST/7PM EST is:
12AM in Nigeria
1AM in France
1AM in Serbia
7AM in China
9AM in Australia/Oceania

You think people following the game like that or are they working, at school or sleeping?

Last edited: