Eric Bellinger Says Beyoncé Paved The Way For Artists To Get SongWriting Credits On Songs They Didn’t Write

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
i think it started with janet, madonna, and mariah (to an extent) because i don't think they were writing like that
the producers would use some of their ideas/experiences in certain instances
in other instances, i'm sure some of the legendary producers/songwriters they worked with didn't need help

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Nikka what you think “ghostwriting” is :why:
It’s not ghostwriting. The song writer is credited, but the artist is taking a piece they don’t deserve as they didn’t write anything

And not sure if it started with Bey, but she definitely popularized it, this goes way back to her Bootylicious days

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Nah. Probably one of the Jackson siblings or Madonna

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think it started with janet, madonna, and mariah (to an extent) because i don't think they were writing like that
the producers would use some of their ideas/experiences in certain instances
in other instances, i'm sure some of the legendary producers/songwriters they worked with didn't need help
Nah, Mariah and Janet wrote their shyt. More specifically their early stuff. It’s another reason Mariah be on folks necks

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
Nah, Mariah and Janet wrote their shyt. More specifically their early stuff. It’s another reason Mariah be on folks necks
co-wrote
which is my point

how many songs do they have where they wrote the song by themselves?
do you really think jam and lewis needed help "co writing?"

i'd question what and how much they did (especially janet and madonna [who you didn't mention])
i wouldn't be surprised if beyonce (who i'm not a big fan of) at times did as much as they did
for example, some people believe vocal arrangements is part of the songwriting process
there's no way to actually prove what any of them really did (see miseducation of lauryn hill)
can lauryn hill do that again and why hasn't she tried (yet) :jbhmm:?

my barometer has always been "what did they do by themselves?"
and i always use la and babyface as an example

look at how many songs babyface wrote and produced WITHOUT la reid
then look up how many songs la reid did WITHOUT babyface
that tells me who was doing the heavy lifting in the "co writing" process.