Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Cancel debt and end all for profit colleges
This. For-profit colleges are one of the biggest banes of Black and Brown students. They purposely target people who are in difficult circumstances or who are desperate to get ahead in life, then they suck them dry in order to force-feed a useless degree.

I was reading this book about it recently and there's some incredible bullshyt going on with those places.

* Vatterott College directs recruiters to target “Welfare Mom w/Kids. Pregnant Ladies. Recent Divorce. Low Self-Esteem. Low Income Jobs. Experienced a Recent Death. Physically/Mentally Abused. Recent Incarceration. Drug Rehabilitation. Dead-End Jobs—No Future.” Their recruiting manuals say, “We deal with people that live in the moment and for the moment. Their decision to start, stay in school or quit school is based more on emotion than logic. Pain is the greater motivator in the short term.”

* ITT Tech’s recruiting team had a picture of a dentist bearing down on a patient with the words, “Find Out Where Their Pain Is.”

* University of Phoenix spent $50 million in one year on Google ads alone (out of a $1 billion marketing budget), meaning they spend $2,225 per student on marketing and only $892 per student on instruction. Many of the google and facebook ads are specifically tailored to target students who are going through struggles in their life. Their CEO made $25.1 million in 2011.

* Corinthian’s marketing team spends $120 million annually trying to lure people to the school.

* Investigators from CALDER/American Institutes for Research found that for people hiring in a wide variety fo fields, for-profit degrees had less value than even two-year community college degrees and were often treated no differently than a high school diploma.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"DONT PUT A CAP ON AMBITION. THAT WILL MAKE PEOPLE LAZY AND NOT STRIVE FOR BETTER THINGS. BESIDES, I NEED TO BUY MY 6TH YACHT AND RIP OFF MY EMPLOYEES AT THE SAME TIME!" Some random "Breh" that is a scumbag CAC.

I was talking to this a$$hole who doesn't want the minimum wage to go up, he was talking about how he's a small business owner and needs to pay his employees minimum wage "so that I can put my kids through college and retire before I'm old."

* Except the a$$hole I was talking to is 30 years old, has no kids, and isn't even in a relationship.

* He has a high-paying full-time job that has NOTHING to do with the small business, his parents are the ones who actually run the family business (and who paid for both of his degrees), he just counts the business as "his" because he's going to inherit it even though he didn't build it and doesn't run it.

So he thinks that his imaginary future children deserve the money more than the employees who are grinding out working days making his products. And he thinks his early retirement from the proceeds of a business that HE DOESN'T EVEN DO ANY WORK FOR is more important than the actual workers getting a living wage.

Just a full-on, entitled a$$hole. His parents actually did work their butts off, but in the end just so their rich-ass son can abuse other people for his own benefit.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
You borrow something you pay it back. For education costs to go down, the government needs to get out of the student loan business. I don't agree with absolving people's debt. You need to be aware of the consequences of choosing certain fields of study. Go to a cheaper school or community college to knock out prerequisites. My parents made the decision for me to go to a cheaper school. Some parents need to make that decision for their kid.

Did this happen when we bailed out the banks and auto manufacturers? :bpgucci:

Why can't we get the same deal? :bpgucci:

This honestly makes Trump one of the GOATs.

If Hillary won in 2016, NONE of this type of shyt (including reparations) would be talked about....

You're dumb as f*ck. No further response needed.:bpfacepalm:

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Did this happen when we bailed out the banks and auto manufacturers? :bpgucci:

Why can't we get the same deal? :bpgucci:

You're dumb as f*ck. No further response needed.:bpfacepalm:

Folks have truly been assimilated,worried about whether or not the banks get paid back or not:wow:
How about we make the banks pay back what they owed since they got bailed out with tax payer money.
Then didn't actually bother to help people like they were instructed.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Real question I got here
If college is free than wouldn't the value of a degree go down? And if the value of degrees and knowledge go down wouldnt the value of those jobs go down and people would get paid less?
We know how capitalists think and move.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Real question I got here
If college is free than wouldn't the value of a degree go down? And if the value of degrees and knowledge go down wouldnt the value of those jobs go down and people would get paid less?
We know how capitalists think and move.

Why would the value of a degree go down? This is not the same as a simple product like Gas. It being free would not make it any easier to get accepted into a good college and pass, for instance, stem courses. All it does it make it easier for people who otherwise couldn't afford it to go in the first place. If they actually graduate, then they have proven that they are valuable. The cost of the degree does not equate to it's value, it's what's learned in the process of obtaining the degree that's valuable.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Why would the value of a degree go down? This is not the same as a simple product like Gas. It being free would not make it any easier to get accepted into a good college and pass, for instance, stem courses. All it does it make it easier for people who otherwise couldn't afford it to go in the first place. If they actually graduate, then they have proven that they are valuable. The cost of the degree does not equate to it's value, it's what's learned in the process of obtaining the degree that's valuable.

I just figure more people would go to college in general. And the more going more degrees out in the market.
I see what you saying though and I get it.
Im just a pessimist and im looking at the potential downsides to it.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just figure more people would go to college in general. And the more going more degrees out in the market.

For STEM at least, there is actually a higher demand for qualified graduates than supply right now, hence all of the H1B1 hires. This would increase the supply and hopefully lead to more innovation coming out of this country which would be good for everyone. A more educated populace in general would be better for everyone.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

It will just mean there is a bigger pool of applicants. I imagine their admission rates will be roughly the same.