Elizabeth Warren HQ: She's Got A Plan!

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
@dtownreppin214

Nap aka ∆y = f(∆x) are carpetbagging establishment hacks. You should read their posts from the beginning of this thread to see their actual posture towards Warren. Nothing about Warren has changed and they pretend to be knowledgeable about politics (they aren't) so why the sudden change?

Also don't you think it's strange that they like her but gave this thread 1 star?
IYPwixC.jpg

The grift is so obvious it bores me.:coffee:

CBSkyline

Chill
Daps
People have been fighting for reparations for over a century... people aren’t calling out #ADOS because of reparations. Y’all need to stop lying :pachaha:
And yet on this site, even in HL, the only thing people have wanted to talk about up til now is Tariq and right wing trolls opinions on the matter as if they are leading experts:mjlol:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
The good thing about being a policy wonk is she should be able to come up with a plan and numbers.

The bad thing about a policy wonk people may not like your plan and numbers.

It better be more robust than what Williamson was offering because her plan leaves much to be desired regarding the dollar amount and the delivery mechanism. Fortunately, Warren's academic background should help here as I would expect her to meet with experts on the subject.

I'm glad she's being aggressive in recruiting black and women voters because she has a lot of ground to cover.
I still don't think she's actually saying much different than Bernie though... once you get passed the surface

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Unfortunately, Briahna is wrong on this one. Warren has presented a prototype of reparatory measure for FBAs in terms of land.
Where'd she bring up land? Didn't see it in the NYT article

Edit: Are you talking about: "special home-buying assistance to residents of communities that were adversely affected by “redlining,”"

That would be great but I don't think that's race-specific and it's not technically slavery related

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
I still don't think she's actually saying much different than Bernie though... once you get passed the surface

Oh, I agree with you. To my knowledge she hasn’t done anything yet; however, my expectation is that she will come up with a policy down the road because that’s usually what she does. I’m just musing about the type of proposal she will need to have if she gets specific.

Unfortunately, Briahna is wrong on this one. Warren has presented a prototype of reparatory measure for FBAs in terms of land.

Could you post a link? The NYT article said she didn't go into specifics.

CBSkyline

Chill
Daps
I mentioned it in another thread, but the major criticism of Warren's housing policy is that if not crafted right, it could end up benefiting those it wasn't meant to help.

Warren’s bill tries to solve a problem that is explicitly rooted in race, but without mentioning race. That’s a strategy that could either narrow the gap or blur the issue.

Here’s how it works: Title II of Warren’s proposed bill establishes a new fund within the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. This to-be-determined purse would provide down-payment assistance to first-time homebuyers in communities that were once subject to redlining. Redlining refers to the notorious practice under the New Deal by which the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation marked up residential maps to indicate risk for lenders, often assigning black communities failing grades. Legal redlining by lenders persisted into the 1970s (and discriminatory maps still surface from time to time). Formerly redlined neighborhoods are sites of deep racial disparities in home value and lending activity.

Under the new dispensation, homes in low-income census tracts that are within areas once graded as “hazardous” by the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation—or areas that were otherwise zoned for minority residents—would qualify for the down-payment program. To be eligible to receive the assistance (3.5 percent, good enough for a Federal Housing Administration loan), an individual would need to be a first-time buyer, a resident of the area for four years, and earning no more than 120 percent of the area median income.

So this part of Warren’s plan—titled “Reversing the Legacy of Housing Discrimination and Government Negligence”—is an effort to identify communities segregated by law and provide cash assistance to home-buyers in these areas. But the filters can only do so much. This formula cannot guarantee that white gentrifiers never qualify for a program intended for African-American and other minority buyers, although the bill seems to bear them in mind.

Inside Senator Elizabeth Warren's Housing Crisis Fix - CityLab

Warren is trying to bridge the gap between universal policies and specific race based ones. It's a tough act, but she's probably the only one running who could get something like that right.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Of course none of these progressives can't distance themselves. Because you can only tax the wealthy so much and use that money to give free shyt to people.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Could you post a link? The NYT article said she didn't go into specifics.
I mentioned it in another thread, but the major criticism of Warren's housing policy is that if not crafted right, it could end up benefiting those it wasn't meant to help.

Inside Senator Elizabeth Warren's Housing Crisis Fix - CityLab

Warren is trying to bridge the gap between universal policies and specific race based ones. It's a tough act, but she's probably the only one running who could get something like that right.

That's what I'm referring to.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
That's what I'm referring to.
I don't think universal programs, even ones that disproportionately benefit our people, can be counted as reparations. If reparations never entered the national discussion for the primary, then Warren's plan would still exist. Sanders is a proponent of universal programs that will disproportionately help African-Americans and other POCs but as of now he isn't a proponent of reparations.

Lastly the policy that @CBSkyline posted couldn't be considered reparations for slavery, it's oriented towards America's post-slavery apartheid practices.