Elephant in the room

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Doubt the arcadium is ready for this grown conversation yet even though majority of the posters here are grown :ld:

No one else finds it shameless that both xbox and playstation are coming out with multiple SKU's on launch date ? And will count both SKU's towards 1 sales goal to compete with each other ? Its basically saying, hey we couldn't make 1 complete great console that caters towards a definite console crowd so we are going to release welfare versions under the new generation names but will be barely more powerful than current gen (looking at you xbox series x)

The original idea of the console was supposed to be a single simple solution to video gaming. You plug it into the wall, you put the game in and it you play it. That was the argument all these years vs PC gaming where you had to customize your set up, your in game settings, etc.

But this is basically what Sony and Microsoft are doing. Different rigs, that can play games on different settings, that will require different TV's and internet set ups, etc.

I also found it shameless that half way through a cycle they release the "pro" versions of these consoles, almost no different then video game companies hiding characters behind a paywall/DLC package, Sony and Microsoft have all intentions of releasing multiple SKU's during a console cycle (and again adding all these sales towards 1 sale and boasting about it even though it took 3-4 models in that period to accomplish that).

what im saying is that - the technology you will see in the PS5 Pro or Xbox Series X X or whatever dumb name Microsoft will come out with, 3 years down the road, is already available. Sony and Microsoft are budgeting right now, in a race (dont you miss when consoles had different release dates, I really dont understand the marriage that Microsoft and Sony have created to always be in competition even down to the release months and dates. Nintendo be doing its own thing and winning :hubie: ) and its completely dumbing / slowing down technology. Because as example if Sony would just wait 6 months to a year to release PS5, they would have way superior hardware -- which they will release 3 years under the "Pro" SKU and name but they HAVE to release the same time as Microsoft and vice versa to be in this race for who sells the most units the fastest.

Im sure im not articulating this the right way but basically what im saying is, you arent getting neither Sony or Microsoft A+ effort on either of these release date consoles and theyre just bidding time til they can release a superior product just 2-3 years down the line and resell it to you guys for a few better frames per second or more guaranteed 4k resolution and they know people will buy them again, doubling their sales.

The days of companies releasing just 1 great console and it lasting 7 years are done.

Not even sure why I wasted my time typing this, no one reads anything past 3 sentences on here and since this is the home of the extreme stan im sure no one is going to read this with an open mind. Just my 2 cents.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
With how weak the hardware was last gen and the birth of 4K sets needing to be sold it was inevitable that they would try to squeeze out something with better performance. Even though the pc parts coming out this year and next will be better than consoles they are still dropping with impressive technology. I don't see a need for a pro version and I don't think they outsell the base models either.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
With how weak the hardware was last gen and the birth of 4K sets needing to be sold it was inevitable that they would try to squeeze out something with better performance. Even though the pc parts coming out this year and next will be better than consoles they are still dropping with impressive technology. I don't see a need for a pro version and I don't think they outsell the base models either.

you truly dont think their will be an "updated" SKU in 3 or so years ?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
you truly dont think their will be an "updated" SKU in 3 or so years ?
Sony has patents for some dual gpu shyt and who knows what Microsoft is doing to try to say they're "8k." I just don't see it as important as last gen. If anything we'll see the usual slim models :hubie:

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
You made some good point OP @itsyoung!! Repped
:ufdup:

I am from the era of the CONSOLE (singular) release.

The whole ‘pro’ thing, I’m not feeling it at all.

It used to be you’d buy a console, and that’s it.

You copped the OG Xbox. And.. that was that.
PS3... Xbox 360.. And that was it.

All this PRO.. and especially the incredibly confusing naming conventions the Xbox has (Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X)

It makes a mockery out of console gaming in my opinion because even the gamers can barely keep up with the differences.

If they MUST have a lesser and OPTIMIZED version; fine: drop 2 at once. And that’s it. No “PRO” later etc.

I guess it makes more money in the end, but for us as gamers it makes you second guess anything you buy because it might not be the ultimate experience within a matter of months.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
PS4 dominated Xbox1 in sales and released like 4 different SKU's
The Slim doesn't count for this convo. We're talking upgrades. These new gen machines should be able to get over the 4K/60 hump, so what is Sony's impetus to leapfrog in power if they are winning?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The Slim doesn't count for this convo. We're talking upgrades. These new gen machines should be able to get over the 4K/60 hump, so what is Sony's impetus to leapfrog in power if they are winning?

im sorry, do you live under a rock ? Where did I ever mention the Slim version?

Sony released a Playstation 4, then the slim, then a PS4 Pro with upgraded hardware.. do you not know of the PS4 Pro?

edit: Sony released 11 different versions of the PS4 in total. Rather hard drive difference (500 gb or 1 TB hard drive), Slim, and PS4 Pro.

This is what im talking about.

edit: not counting other colors/20th anniversary/bundles with gamesl ike Battlefield edition.

SKU Models - PS4 Developer wiki

this is ridiculous :francis:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Doubt the arcadium is ready for this grown conversation yet even though majority of the posters here are grown :ld:

No one else finds it shameless that both xbox and playstation are coming out with multiple SKU's on launch date ? And will count both SKU's towards 1 sales goal to compete with each other ? Its basically saying, hey we couldn't make 1 complete great console that caters towards a definite console crowd so we are going to release welfare versions under the new generation names but will be barely more powerful than current gen (looking at you xbox series x)

The original idea of the console was supposed to be a single simple solution to video gaming. You plug it into the wall, you put the game in and it you play it. That was the argument all these years vs PC gaming where you had to customize your set up, your in game settings, etc.

But this is basically what Sony and Microsoft are doing. Different rigs, that can play games on different settings, that will require different TV's and internet set ups, etc.

I also found it shameless that half way through a cycle they release the "pro" versions of these consoles, almost no different then video game companies hiding characters behind a paywall/DLC package, Sony and Microsoft have all intentions of releasing multiple SKU's during a console cycle (and again adding all these sales towards 1 sale and boasting about it even though it took 3-4 models in that period to accomplish that).

what im saying is that - the technology you will see in the PS5 Pro or Xbox Series X X or whatever dumb name Microsoft will come out with, 3 years down the road, is already available. Sony and Microsoft are budgeting right now, in a race (dont you miss when consoles had different release dates, I really dont understand the marriage that Microsoft and Sony have created to always be in competition even down to the release months and dates. Nintendo be doing its own thing and winning :hubie: ) and its completely dumbing / slowing down technology. Because as example if Sony would just wait 6 months to a year to release PS5, they would have way superior hardware -- which they will release 3 years under the "Pro" SKU and name but they HAVE to release the same time as Microsoft and vice versa to be in this race for who sells the most units the fastest.

Im sure im not articulating this the right way but basically what im saying is, you arent getting neither Sony or Microsoft A+ effort on either of these release date consoles and theyre just bidding time til they can release a superior product just 2-3 years down the line and resell it to you guys for a few better frames per second or more guaranteed 4k resolution and they know people will buy them again, doubling their sales.

The days of companies releasing just 1 great console and it lasting 7 years are done.

Not even sure why I wasted my time typing this, no one reads anything past 3 sentences on here and since this is the home of the extreme stan im sure no one is going to read this with an open mind. Just my 2 cents.
I was under the impression that Microsoft spent billions on this cloud thing and that consoles would become obsolete because of it. The fear was going all digital, the masses are not comfortable with the idea even tho they been doing just that ever since cellphones became "smartphones"

Xcloud hits the masses on Tuesday. The cloud will be Xbox series x powered by this winter. They can and will upgrade the cloud only once gamepass reaches a certain user count. I get it that not everybody understands the value of gamepass but it can't be denied. An upgraded console 3/4yrs down the line is possible but how many PC upgrades will happen in that same span? So I don't agree and I don't see why it's a negative to have a similar option as PC gamers like yourself have

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
im sorry, do you live under a rock ? Where did I ever mention the Slim version?

Sony released a Playstation 4, then the slim, then a PS4 Pro with upgraded hardware.. do you not know of the PS4 Pro?

edit: Sony released 11 different versions of the PS4 in total. Rather hard drive difference (500 gb or 1 TB hard drive), Slim, and PS4 Pro.

This is what im talking about.

edit: not counting other colors/20th anniversary/bundles with gamesl ike Battlefield edition.

SKU Models - PS4 Developer wiki

this is ridiculous :francis:
The subject was mid gen upgrades. Who gives a shyt about any other SKU?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
That's what I said. That counts, the rest don't.

:mindblown: so then what the fukk are you talking about the PS4 Slim for :mindblown:

The Pro was the only example used :mindblown:

mafukkas really retarded on here :mindblown:

having an actual adult conversation with everyone staying on the actual subject at hand is impossible here :mindblown: