Eidos Montreal founder: "I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in [acquiring] Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest."

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
console-relations.gif
giphy.gif

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I mean this lines up with Square's decision to sell crystal dynamics/edios

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I don't have a problem with Sony purchasing square Enix in particular, it's the fact that they feel like this is what they have to do since Microsoft started buying huge 3rd party publishers just to keep them from releasing games on Playstation.

Sony really doesn't have the kind of money to wage this kind of war against Microsoft and Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to monopolize the gaming industry. These consolidations aren't good for the industry, and I can see Sony changing their business model from offering a better product to maximizing profits to make up for the extra spending trying to keep up with Microsoft.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t think that they ‘feel’ like this is what they have to do. They ‘know’ that this is what they have to do.

Microsoft and other big tech companies already changed the landscape. Sony didnt start buying things until they had to. Look at how long they were working with Insomniac before buying them. They were fine with those types of ‘2nd party’ relationships until bigger corps started buying, or threatening to buy, everything.

From my perspective, without going too deep into it, big companies with a lot of cash on hand would rather invest it by purchasing other companies (along with their IP) and place the new purchase as an asset on the balance sheet as opposed to just holding onto devaluating cash. In addition big companies want to buy their way into relevance.

Microsoft has a ton of cash, Amazon has a ton, Tencent is funded by China so they have a ton, so acquisitions are always a threat in this landscape.

You are 100% right. Sony doesn’t have the money to go toe-to-toe with MS. So they have to be smart. It’s no different than sports. Team executives manage payroll, salary caps and budgets to stay competitive and produce more with less. You’ve got to add the right pieces.

As much as I dislike the acquisition of Bungie…in retrospect, it was a smart move. If we are to believe Jim Ryan, they bought Bungie for their knowledge, toolset, tech and experience in running a successful live-service game. They can now assign high level Bungie people to oversee launches and maintenance of projects from other 1st party SIE devs to strengthen their portfolio all around as they have 0 experience in this live service area. They also get the benefit of owning a premier FPS studio and ensuring that Bungie games go wherever they allow them to go moving forward.

That’s a smart purchase.

You are also right in thinking that the business models will change in the future to further maximize profits. I don’t think there is anything we can do to stop that.

Daps
Cry more nikka.
SE going multiplat with M$ was a shyt decision that fukked the quality of their games.
Best for SE to be acquired by Sony to save themselves, and like I said I wouldn’t mind Nintendo getting some from SE just not piece of dog shyt M$
You’re the one crying about FF going multiplat :mjlol:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I see what you’re saying but I don’t think that they ‘feel’ like this is what they have to do. They ‘know’ that this is what they have to do.

Microsoft and other big tech companies already changed the landscape. Sony didnt start buying things until they had to. Look at how long they were working with Insomniac before buying them. They were fine with those types of ‘2nd party’ relationships until bigger corps started buying, or threatening to buy, everything.

From my perspective, without going too deep into it, big companies with a lot of cash on hand would rather invest it by purchasing other companies (along with their IP) and place the new purchase as an asset on the balance sheet as opposed to just holding onto devaluating cash. In addition big companies want to buy their way into relevance.

Microsoft has a ton of cash, Amazon has a ton, Tencent is funded by China so they have a ton, so acquisitions are always a threat in this landscape.

You are 100% right. Sony doesn’t have the money to go toe-to-toe with MS. So they have to be smart. It’s no different than sports. Team executives manage payroll, salary caps and budgets to stay competitive and produce more with less. You’ve got to add the right pieces.

As much as I dislike the acquisition of Bungie…in retrospect, it was a smart move. If we are to believe Jim Ryan, they bought Bungie for their knowledge, toolset, tech and experience in running a successful live-service game. They can now assign high level Bungie people to oversee launches and maintenance of projects from other 1st party SIE devs to strengthen their portfolio all around as they have 0 experience in this live service area. They also get the benefit of owning a premier FPS studio and ensuring that Bungie games go wherever they allow them to go moving forward.

That’s a smart purchase.

You are also right in thinking that the business models will change in the future to further maximize profits. I don’t think there is anything we can do to stop that.
One thing I also feel you are missing which is something @42 Monks brought up is the rising cost of games and inflation, this financial landscape is changing because it has to. A lot of these companies can't survive on their own, they need a parent company to cover their ass in case they flop, or else fade into obscurity

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't see Sony outright buying Square Enix but maybe scooping up some IPs or smaller studios. If they do buy them, I don't see them becoming exclusive to Sony as Switch makes a lot of money for them

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This needs to happen. Square Enix would be better with Sony's guidance.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
I want total domination :demonic:
FF13 going multiplat fukked it up and probably for FFXV fukk M$ :pacspit:
Shiet give a bone to Nintendo now and then but that’s it!
:ohhh:

Never thought about that.. ff been trash since Xbox got it

Just give GG the rights to an open world ff6 remake

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I want total domination :demonic:
FF13 going multiplat fukked it up and probably for FFXV fukk M$ :pacspit:
Shiet give a bone to Nintendo now and then but that’s it!

:ohhh:

Never thought about that.. ff been trash since Xbox got it

Just give GG the rights to an open world ff6 remake

I know at the end of the day its all jokes but that is a pretty big coincidence. The two mainline final fantasy games to release on xbox are considered the worst in the series, they even skipped XIV which is critically praised.

now FF7R and FF16 are back on playstation, the former was very well received and the latter looks to be a return to form, a lot of hype behind it.

is Microsoft actually a curse?:ohhh:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I don't have a problem with Sony purchasing square Enix in particular, it's the fact that they feel like this is what they have to do since Microsoft started...
Herein lies the issue with everything you've posted in this thread.

Developer and studio acquisitions are being welcomed by independent studios and developers because game development for the current generation is significantly different than past generations. It's not cost effective for a studio to put all of its resources into developing an IP for 6-8 years and missing out on the generation or missing the mark graphically and performance wise on their product. Take CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk as an example.

Studios and developers are aligning with other studios or console manufacturers themselves to get ahead of the development curve to deliver products. The gaming industry has been plagued with delays, piss poor launches, and never-ending bugs for the last several years. Covid played a part but a new generation of console development doesn't get enough of the attention for it's part in all of that.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think a SE purchase does anything for Sony as most games were already PS exclusive.

The Witcher
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
World Of Warcraft
Final Fantasy

Those are the RPGs that most americans play.

I want to see how FF16 is. I enjoyed FF7,8,9,10, 11,14,15.. I didn't play 12 and 13 because i was playing FFXI all the time. I played 11 and 14 on PC because MMOs are for PC..

Last edited:

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
If I was like that I’d be go Sony, and I wouldn’t own no Nintendo consoles or handheld besides my Sony ones.
However I do. I just
Do not fukk with M$ they need to be dikk in the dirt. I’d rather have Apple take their place or Sega making a comeback besides their fukking bytch asses being here
:umad: cry more you xbot
:whoa: chill we do not want Apple involved in gaming at all