Eidos Montreal founder: "I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in [acquiring] Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest."

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Cry more nikka.
SE going multiplat with M$ was a shyt decision that fukked the quality of their games.
Best for SE to be acquired by Sony to save themselves, and like I said I wouldn’t mind Nintendo getting some from SE just not piece of dog shyt M$
Console war bullshyt, Like Microsoft has any bearing on decisions made by square enix. You're a fukkin weirdo.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Apparently Sony is just gonna kick in the door and command a hostile takeover of SE. They may not want to sell but it’s sony so….

anigif_enhanced-22393-1435615038-2.gif

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Console war bullshyt, Like Microsoft has any bearing on decisions made by square enix. You're a fukkin weirdo.
If I was like that I’d be go Sony, and I wouldn’t own no Nintendo consoles or handheld besides my Sony ones.
However I do. I just
Do not fukk with M$ they need to be dikk in the dirt. I’d rather have Apple take their place or Sega making a comeback besides their fukking bytch asses being here
:umad: cry more you xbot

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
If I was like that I’d be go Sony, and I wouldn’t own no Nintendo consoles or handheld besides my Sony ones.
However I do. I just
Do not fukk with M$ they need to be dikk in the dirt. I’d rather have Apple take their place or Sega making a comeback besides their fukking bytch asses being here
:umad: cry more you xbot
This is a great example of why this place has gone to shyt. Get labeled an Xbot despite not owning an Xbox since the early days of the 360, which I traded for a ps3. You're literally the reason good conversations don't happen here. fukkin weirdo , keep waving the pom poms.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a great example of why this place has gone to shyt. Get labeled an Xbot despite not owning an Xbox since the early days of the 360, which I traded for a ps3. You're literally the reason good conversations don't happen here. fukkin weirdo , keep waving the pom poms.

You realize if square enix get bought its because they WANT to be bought, right? These things don’t happen because one party wants it to happen, they usually happen because they need to for the company to survive.

If theres any company I’d want to purchase square enix of course I’d rather it be sony than tencent or embracer. Like thats common sense

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Cry more about it. It still won’t stop SE letting themselves get acquired by Sony :umad:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I think square, sega and capcom in particular need a home because they carry themselves like big timers but really can't do the things that big timers do for their franchises.

Like there's no reason FF couldn't consistently be a multimedia franchise with movies, series, toys, etc produced for it on the regular

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Seems like Sony is on some knee-jerk shyt trying to buy whatever they can afford before Microsoft gets to them.

shyt is bad for the industry

I can have a level conversation with you about this.

Generally speaking, I would agree with you that consolidation is bad for reasons that we both know and understand. Having said that, it’s a reality in the capitalist society we currently live in.

In realtime we have been seeing online multiplayer games turn into Free-to-Play, store-front driven, micro-transaction garbage due to a variety of market factors. Another reality that I don't like, but it is what it is.

In this case, however, I agree with some people who say that Sony purchasing Square Tokyo is the best case scenario. The history between the two companies is well documented, the relationship has been strong and the output from that relationship have been classic, or at least well developed, titles.

For Sony, purchasing this developer guarantees the future of these titles on Playstation during a time when big corps are swallowing little corps.

For gamers, it ensures that Square Enix Tokyo continues to make the games that we want to play on the platforms that we already expect to play them on.

I wouldn’t put this in the same category as Sony buying Bungie or Microsoft buying Besthesda, Activision, Double Fine, Ninja Theory etc.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I can have a level conversation with you about this.

Generally speaking, I would agree with you that consolidation is bad for reasons that we both know and understand. Having said that, it’s a reality in the capitalist society we currently live in.

In realtime we have been seeing online multiplayer games turn into Free-to-Play, store-front driven, micro-transaction garbage due to a variety of market factors. Another reality that I don't like, but it is what it is.

In this case, however, I agree with some people who say that Sony purchasing Square Tokyo is the best case scenario. The history between the two companies is well documented, the relationship has been strong and the output from that relationship have been classic, or at least well developed, titles.

For Sony, purchasing this developer guarantees the future of these titles on Playstation during a time when big corps are swallowing little corps.

For gamers, it ensures that Square Enix Tokyo continues to make the games that we want to play on the platforms that we already expect to play them on.

I wouldn’t put this in the same category as Sony buying Bungie or Microsoft buying Besthesda, Activision, Double Fine, Ninja Theory etc.
I don't have a problem with Sony purchasing square Enix in particular, it's the fact that they feel like this is what they have to do since Microsoft started buying huge 3rd party publishers just to keep them from releasing games on Playstation.

Sony really doesn't have the kind of money to wage this kind of war against Microsoft and Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to monopolize the gaming industry. These consolidations aren't good for the industry, and I can see Sony changing their business model from offering a better product to maximizing profits to make up for the extra spending trying to keep up with Microsoft.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I doubt they would, sony is still getting smaller AA games from them exclusively this year.
That's wait and see, but I guess best case scenario for those games to continue to release on Switch since they make a ton there which could appease shareholders.