Education vs Networking

iMajor

MartinLouisTheKingJr
Daps
Reppin
shutter island
I would put this in higher learning but I think there will be a lot more variety of answers in this section.

Which out of the two is more effective in today's economy? And do the two actually go hand in hand...? Can you rely on one more than the other...?

Thoughts..? Stories...?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
you have to have a reasonable level of education, but you will get much further in this day and age if you know the right people.

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
Network in college breh. If you go to a big school, alumni's help out undergrads all the time. 3.5 gpa, join clubs, network, eat.

It's not who you know, it's who knows YOU

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Networking>>>> education

I feel like a lot of things taught in school can be learned on the job

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Networking, and this is coming from a high school drop out.

Daps
Networking in college has helped me tremendously. Professors have given me great chances to participate in research and conduct my own experiments. This greatly improved my chances of getting into grad school and also provided me with some good letters of recommendation.

Be vocal and confident.

Anothergirl

Goat ™
Daps
depends on the person really. most people need higher education to learn the critical thinking and organizational skills needed to even make any kind of "networking" useful for them. some need that foundation.
and then there are those that are born gifted and don't :manny:

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Both are important, but networking is a little more important.

In this day and age is who you know that's more important than what you know . Going to a good university will open doors and college is a great place to network.

NVME

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Having a plan and adapting as you push towards your goal is what's most important. If you're doing either of the two without driving towards a goal and learning as you go then a case could be made for either and honestly your chance of succeeding is low.

The biggest problem with college grads is a lot of them think they have to have everything figured out before they get started and they lose the ability to hustle and adapt as they go. The ones that didn't have a plan in college make up the high majority of these grads. If you're going to school think of it as networking and push to set up a killer job for yourself. This will save you from bytching about the economy when you're embarrassed you can't find a job because "you don't know what you want to do in life".

Harsh advice but trying to be real based on my own experience.