ChatGPT Brings Down Online Education Stocks. Chegg Loses 95%. Students Don’t Need It Anymore

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Tried this question it with the new o1 model everyone is hyping up.

Answer it gave:
0.369 Amps

:mjlol: :heh:

Literally a week 1-2 Circuits question, in the very first Circuits Analysis course as an Electrical Engineer and it's still worlds apart from the correct answer.

IGNORE

llama-3.1-sonar-large-128k-chat solved it.

<thinking> To determine the current through the 20 Ohm resistor, we need to analyze the circuit and apply relevant electrical principles. Here’s a step-by-step approach:
  1. Identify the Circuit Configuration:
    • Determine if the circuit is a series, parallel, or a combination of both.
    • Identify any voltage sources and their values.
  2. Apply Ohm's Law:
    • Ohm's Law states that I=VRI=\frac{V}{R}I=RV, where III is the current, VVV is the voltage across the resistor, and RRR is the resistance.
  3. Consider Kirchhoff's Laws if Necessary:
    • If the circuit involves multiple loops or branches, we may need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL).
  4. Calculate Current:
    • Once we have identified all necessary voltages and resistances, we can calculate the current through each component.

Chain of Thought​

1. Assume a Simple Series Circuit for Illustration:
    • Suppose we have a simple series circuit with one voltage source and two resistors: one 10 Ohm resistor and one 20 Ohm resistor.
  2. Calculate Total Resistance:
    • In series circuits, resistances add up: Rtotal=R1+R2=10 Ω+20 Ω=30 ΩR_{total}=R_1+R_2=10\,\Omega +20\,\Omega =30\,\Omega Rtotal=R1+R2=10Ω+20Ω=30Ω.
  3. Determine Total Current Using Ohm's Law:
    • If we know the total voltage VtotalV_{total}Vtotal, we can find total current using Ohm's Law: Itotal=VtotalRtotalI_{total}=\frac{V_{total}}{R_{total}}Itotal=RtotalVtotal.
  4. Find Voltage Across Each Resistor:
    • Since it's a series circuit, the current through each resistor is the same.
    • Use Ohm's Law again to find voltage across each resistor: V1=Itotal×R1V_1=I_{total}\times R_1V1=Itotal×R1 and V2=Itotal×R2V_2=I_{total}\times R_2V2=Itotal×R2.
  5. Calculate Current Through the 20 Ohm Resistor:
    • Since it's in series, this current will be equal to ItotalI_{total}Itotal.

Reflection​

• Review Reasoning:
    • We assumed a simple series circuit for illustration purposes.
    • We correctly applied Ohm's Law to find total current.
    • We recognized that in a series circuit, the same current flows through all components.
  • Check for Errors or Oversights:
    • Ensure that all resistances are correctly added.
    • Verify that Ohm's Law is applied consistently.
  • Confirm Conclusion:
    • The approach is sound assuming a series configuration.
    • If this were not a series circuit but rather parallel or more complex, additional steps involving KVL and KCL would be necessary.
</thinking> <output> Given that we do not have specific values for the voltage source in this problem but assuming it follows similar principles as outlined above: If you have a series circuit with one voltage source (let's say Vtotal=60 VV_{total}=60\,VVtotal=60V) and two resistors (10 Ohms and 20 Ohms):
  1. Total Resistance: Rtotal=10 Ω+20 Ω=30 ΩR_{total}=10\,\Omega +20\,\Omega =30\,\Omega Rtotal=10Ω+20Ω=30Ω
  2. Total Current: Itotal=60 V30 Ω=2 AI_{total}=\frac{60\,V}{30\,\Omega}=2\,AItotal=30Ω60V=2A
  3. Current Through Each Resistor: Since it's in series, this current is also 2 A2\,A2A.
Thus, the current through the 20 Ohm resistor would be 2 Amps. </output>
gkXO9Ni.png

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
llama-3.1-sonar-large-128k-chat solved it.

<thinking> To determine the current through the 20 Ohm resistor, we need to analyze the circuit and apply relevant electrical principles. Here’s a step-by-step approach:
  1. Identify the Circuit Configuration:
    • Determine if the circuit is a series, parallel, or a combination of both.
    • Identify any voltage sources and their values.
  2. Apply Ohm's Law:
    • Ohm's Law states that I=VRI=\frac{V}{R}I=RV, where III is the current, VVV is the voltage across the resistor, and RRR is the resistance.
  3. Consider Kirchhoff's Laws if Necessary:
    • If the circuit involves multiple loops or branches, we may need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL).
  4. Calculate Current:
    • Once we have identified all necessary voltages and resistances, we can calculate the current through each component.

Chain of Thought​

1. Assume a Simple Series Circuit for Illustration:
    • Suppose we have a simple series circuit with one voltage source and two resistors: one 10 Ohm resistor and one 20 Ohm resistor.
  2. Calculate Total Resistance:
    • In series circuits, resistances add up: Rtotal=R1+R2=10 Ω+20 Ω=30 ΩR_{total}=R_1+R_2=10\,\Omega +20\,\Omega =30\,\Omega Rtotal=R1+R2=10Ω+20Ω=30Ω.
  3. Determine Total Current Using Ohm's Law:
    • If we know the total voltage VtotalV_{total}Vtotal, we can find total current using Ohm's Law: Itotal=VtotalRtotalI_{total}=\frac{V_{total}}{R_{total}}Itotal=RtotalVtotal.
  4. Find Voltage Across Each Resistor:
    • Since it's a series circuit, the current through each resistor is the same.
    • Use Ohm's Law again to find voltage across each resistor: V1=Itotal×R1V_1=I_{total}\times R_1V1=Itotal×R1 and V2=Itotal×R2V_2=I_{total}\times R_2V2=Itotal×R2.
  5. Calculate Current Through the 20 Ohm Resistor:
    • Since it's in series, this current will be equal to ItotalI_{total}Itotal.

Reflection​

• Review Reasoning:
    • We assumed a simple series circuit for illustration purposes.
    • We correctly applied Ohm's Law to find total current.
    • We recognized that in a series circuit, the same current flows through all components.
  • Check for Errors or Oversights:
    • Ensure that all resistances are correctly added.
    • Verify that Ohm's Law is applied consistently.
  • Confirm Conclusion:
    • The approach is sound assuming a series configuration.
    • If this were not a series circuit but rather parallel or more complex, additional steps involving KVL and KCL would be necessary.
</thinking> <output> Given that we do not have specific values for the voltage source in this problem but assuming it follows similar principles as outlined above: If you have a series circuit with one voltage source (let's say Vtotal=60 VV_{total}=60\,VVtotal=60V) and two resistors (10 Ohms and 20 Ohms):
  1. Total Resistance: Rtotal=10 Ω+20 Ω=30 ΩR_{total}=10\,\Omega +20\,\Omega =30\,\Omega Rtotal=10Ω+20Ω=30Ω
  2. Total Current: Itotal=60 V30 Ω=2 AI_{total}=\frac{60\,V}{30\,\Omega}=2\,AItotal=30Ω60V=2A
  3. Current Through Each Resistor: Since it's in series, this current is also 2 A2\,A2A.
Thus, the current through the 20 Ohm resistor would be 2 Amps. </output>
gkXO9Ni.png
I don't even think that's the question though? It says "let's say Vtotal = 60 V", but is it even using the actual circuit itself or using examples?

It doesn't even mention the 5 Ohm resistor or the current sources.

Ask it to find the current through the 20 Ohm resistor here which should be 2 Amps.

Additionally, can ask it to find the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance which should be 40/3 Ohms.
method1.jpg

It's basically the next step up in difficulty, but still very basic.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I don't even think that's the question though? It says "let's say Vtotal = 60 V", but is it even using the actual circuit itself or using examples?

It doesn't even mention the 5 Ohm resistor or the current sources.

Ask it to find the current through the 20 Ohm resistor. The correct answer is 2Amps. Also ask it to find the Thevenin Equivalent Voltage which should be 40/3 Ohms.
method1.jpg

It's basically the next step up in difficulty, but still very basic.

yeah i realized when i was tryingit on a different model i misunderstood the task completely. :francis:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
yeah i realized when i was tryingit on a different model i misunderstood the task completely. :francis:
Yeah, I have no doubt sooner or later it'll start drilling these things.

In fact, there's already a great Circuit Design tool with Flux.ai which is getting better so I'm just giving it shyt. :mjlol:

What it can do is actually insane:

I do want to see the basic ChatGPT handle it and other EE coursework straight up though, shyt would be :wow:

In time it'll be an ace at this stuff, dang near 99% sure about it.

Last edited: