East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
:pachaha:bless your lil heart
:laff::laff:whatever, :deadrose:I tried. I was a little azz girl, lol.... I had to think back to what my older brothers were listening and vibing to during that time... and we had a lot of local talent that was on the come up by us living in the same neighborhoods...

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
I think the east at the time was still doing alright...those big artists over there were never huge sellers save for a few ...but west coast rappers were doing silly numbers so it overshadowed the east.. And the media still gave the east all the shine ...but the "rapping since the 70s and still never went gold" line by MC Ren was kinda true for a lot of them dudes even tho they dominated Yo MTV raps and Rap City...and in Texas at the time we didn't fuk with to much east coast rap at all

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:laff::laff:HOW???!! LMAOFFFFF.... :deadrose::dead: That inferiority complex runs deep with yall huh?? What flavor, yall have no style (I'll give Jersey and Baltimore more swag and style that I would ever give Philly).... what swag... ??!! yall cant keep up with New York.. wtf.. Hold that delusion. what music are you basing that on - The Roots?? what eras were you prevalent in? and you HAVE to say East Coast because nothing was popping off in Philly as a city for hip hop.

extremely ignorant & un-informed post.

I could have a field day with this, but its off-topic. and youre clearly trying to control the narrative in the most ridiculous of fashions.

I'll just leave you with this; most of the cool modern-day trends & fashion that you think started in new York, popped off in philly first. and you can ask any of your fellow native new Yorkers that actually leaves the city. most of them will tell you themselves.

back on-topic tho.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
If we talking National scale...

90 BBD, Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, Kid N Play in movies and cartoons

91 OPP, LLs Mama saying to knock Moe Dee out, Heavy Ds existence, The movie New Jack City.

92 Das Efx had everyone in that iggidy shyt to the point Ice Cube was on the tip. You had Wrecks N Effex on some rumpshaker shyt. They Reminisce Over You. The movie Juice. Those white boys had that song Jump Around.

93 Nuaghty By Nature had the anthem of the year with Hip Hop Hooray, Onyx slammin',, Redman was in his own lane, Lords Of The Underground had hits.

94 DJ Clue is starting to make noise in the DJ world.

Also...It was Puffy who groomed Jodeci.

AGAIN, you didn't read my post in the OP.

we already covered the new jack swing(which purists refuse to prop up) and '80s layover rappers. and we're definitely not talking about r&b acts. either you didn't read or youre reaching for straws.

only legit names you mentioned for the flip-styles rappers.(das efx, ONYX, naughty, LOTUG) and hits. and again, theyre not the ones that got the high marks in the publications, and theyre not the ones whose legacies get shoved down our throats.

Daps
Reppin
Stapletown..Shaolin
LMAO one thing I've learned since being on here is there a lot of insecure ppl in the west and the south...Nikkas gotta try and rewrite history...you a joke and I had respect for dope music no matter where it came from but Nikkas trying to rewrite history and distort the truth to the youth that wasn't there or know no better..has made me lose respect for these areas cuz everybody helped hip hop grow and now cats want to change the narrative...smh Nikkas are really a joke...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
LMAO one thing I've learned since being on here is there a lot of insecure ppl in the west and the south...Nikkas gotta try and rewrite history...you a joke and I had respect for dope music no matter where it came from but Nikkas trying to rewrite history and distort the truth to the youth that wasn't there or know no better..has made me lose respect for these areas cuz everybody helped hip hop grow and now cats want to change the narrative...smh Nikkas are really a joke...

what narrative am I pushing exactly? and how am I wrong?

also, keep in mind, im from the east coast.

and I also made it perfectly clear that im not downplaying anything. so you can leave that out of your response.
and before you respond, you might want to actually read my OP instead of just my title.

Daps
Reppin
Stapletown..Shaolin
I did read your OP and was lacking whether you from the east or not...crazy classic albums and legendary artist came out during that time but it was lacking? Gtfuoh if you from the east then you know cats like brand nubian went gold in the streets...my had a big bootleg issue..cl smooth and others have addressed..that don't count against cats cuz to be honest until 90 91 only a minor few..like a handful of cats was even going gold...plus I can't trust nobody that tries and dismiss the wu's reach when you got cats in countrys you never heard of with EU rats and throwing up the W...