East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
East Coast didnt lose its footing til the 00s.

east coast was actually better off in the 2000s.

it may seem that way because the east coast had the media in its back-pocket in the '90s.

now, if youre talking 2010s, then that's some other chit. but this decade doesn't hold any weight anyway.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
No East Coast rapper during the first half of the 90s was going platinum in a short time until Biggie came out. And those that did, took years to get there.

Meanwhile Dre, Snoop, Outkast, NWA, Ice Cube, 2pac was selling out albums easy.

It was ONLY when Puffy came along and helped make the NY rap scene more fun to listen to.
Because white kids were the primary consumers/buyers of their music during that time too... but you wont mention that tho.. :coffee:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
you sound like you based your whole opinion from pages of Right On! Magazine circa 1990, NY alone had a lot of rappers and entertainment poppin off.
-Special Ed
- Black Moon
-Smif n Wessun
-Gang Starr (Guru)
-Tribe
-De La Soul
- DJ Premier
- the whole backpack clique movement started
-Salt n Pepa
-Nikki D
- Sweet T
-Stretch and Bobbitto
-Digable Planets (jazz/rap influence)
-

most of these rappers aren't high on the entertainment scale, and im a fan of some and/or think some have classic works.

the ones that actually do rank high on the entertainment level, are layovers from the '80s. none of the actual early-mid '90s products that you listed, make the cut.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
most of these rappers aren't high on the entertainment scale, and im a fan of some and/or think some have classic works.

the ones that actually do rank high on the entertainment level, are layovers from the '80s. none of the actual early-mid '90s products that you listed, make the cut.
I expect you to say that, since your entire city had NO market at that time. The only ones that made the cut were Cool C and Steady B- that didn't work out so well huh?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I expect you to say that, since your entire city had NO market at that time. The only ones that made the cut were Cool C and Steady B- that didn't work out so well huh?

and right on time: you prove the point of my previous post.

and clearly, im not in here waving a flag for philly either.

altho, I will say that philly always had more style, flavor & swag than new York and it always showed in the music. but you took it there, not me. we can save this for another spinoff thread.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
whats that supposed to mean??

philly was almost as biased as new York.

only thing that made new York even worse is that new York would be biased against other east coast cities as well.:scust:
It means what I said... you sound like a dude from Philly; which is how my initial guess was right, that you're from Philly. Yall just have a way of coming off, like yall have a complex.

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
you sound like you based your whole opinion from pages of Right On! Magazine circa 1990, NY alone had a lot of rappers and entertainment poppin off.
-Special Ed
- Black Moon
-Smif n Wessun
-Gang Starr (Guru)
-Tribe
-De La Soul
- DJ Premier
- the whole backpack clique movement started
-Salt n Pepa
-Nikki D
- Sweet T
-Stretch and Bobbitto
-Digable Planets (jazz/rap influence)
-
:pachaha:bless your lil heart

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It means what I said... you sound like a dude from Philly; which is how my initial guess was right, that you're from Philly. Yall just have a way of coming off, like yall have a complex.

new Yorkers are the ones with the complex.

case in point, im talking about the entire east coast, but for some reason, you think im criticizing just new York.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
THANK YOU for having actual content in your rebuttal.

im talking about early-mid '90s tho.

- wutang…...ehhh. hit or miss. on the entertainment front. they had the presentation. and the had the formula to be backpack and still keep at least one joint on the mainstream airwaves while still being backpack. but at the same time, their reach wasn't as far as people like to believe on a NATIONAL scale.

If we talking National scale...

90 BBD, Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, Kid N Play in movies and cartoons

91 OPP, LLs Mama saying to knock Moe Dee out, Heavy Ds existence, The movie New Jack City.

92 Das Efx had everyone in that iggidy shyt to the point Ice Cube was on the tip. You had Wrecks N Effex on some rumpshaker shyt. They Reminisce Over You. The movie Juice. Those white boys had that song Jump Around.

93 Nuaghty By Nature had the anthem of the year with Hip Hop Hooray, Onyx slammin',, Redman was in his own lane, Lords Of The Underground had hits.

94 DJ Clue is starting to make noise in the DJ world.

Also...It was Puffy who groomed Jodeci.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
and right on time: you prove the point of my previous post.

and clearly, im not in here waving a flag for philly either.

altho, I will say that philly always had more style, flavor & swag than new York and it always showed in the music. but you took it there, not me. we can save this for another spinoff thread.
:laff::laff:HOW???!! LMAOFFFFF.... :deadrose::dead: That inferiority complex runs deep with yall huh?? What flavor, yall have no style (I'll give Jersey and Baltimore more swag and style that I would ever give Philly).... what swag... ??!! yall cant keep up with New York.. wtf.. Hold that delusion. what music are you basing that on - The Roots?? what eras were you prevalent in? and you HAVE to say East Coast because nothing was popping off in Philly as a city for hip hop.