Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in talks to remake Cult Classic "Big Trouble in Little China"

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in negotiations to star in and produce a remake of John Carpenter‘s cult classic “Big Trouble in Little China” that will be written by “X-Men: First Class” scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

A representative for 20th Century Fox did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Johnson is making a deal play Jack Burton, an All-American trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in San Francisco’s Chinatown.

Johnson and his producing partners Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia pitched the remake to rights-owner Fox, which released the original film. “Big Trouble in Little China” is one of Johnson’s favorite movies, and Miller and Stentz have already closed a deal to write the script.

The original 1986 movie starred Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall. The film only grossed $11 million at the domestic box office but it is revered as a cult classic and a cable TV staple that fans can’t turn away from when it airs.

Johnson is coming off an earth-shaking $54 million domestic opening weekend for “San Andreas,” which was also set in San Francisco. The film topped both the domestic and international box office and cemented Johnson’s place as America’s premiere action star.

Johnson will soon be seen on HBO’s new original series “Ballers,” which debuts later this month, and he’s also set to star in WB’s comic book movie “Shazam.” Johnson is also lending his voice to Disney’s animated movie “Moana.” He’s represented by WME and Gang, Tyre, Ramer and Brown.

Miller and Stentz wrote the screenplay for Marvel’s “Thor” as well as the upcoming “Power Rangers” movie that will be directed by Dean Israelite. They’re repped by WME and Principato-Young Entertainment.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
look on the bright side breh...you'll still have your classic right?

i get what u saying tho there have been some remake movies that have been pretty good just cant think off the top of my head

just this one i grew up with and watched the shyt outta of it and I'm :old: now and still watch the shyt outta of it :noah:

they do it well see if it holds up tho

bad enough they wanna make remake the raid
i dont even see how they could do that shyt on top of it :snoop:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I would go see it on opening weekend if it gets made but The Rock isn't the right fit for the inadvertent hero archetype that Russell's Jack Burton was.
Y'know who I think would make a good new age Burton? Colin Farrell or even Channing Tatum. Not that I want a remake of this classic movie at all. though.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I can't see Rocky doing a Kurt Russell impression nor should he, so I think he'd actually give the studio the movie they wanted in the first place plus all the weird shyt of the original

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I would go see it on opening weekend if it gets made but The Rock isn't the right fit for the inadvertent hero archetype that Russell's Jack Burton was.
Y'know who I think would make a good new age Burton? Colin Farrell or even Channing Tatum. Not that I want a remake of this classic movie at all. though.

He ain't doing that though. To me, if you're going to remake this movie, don't do that, go opposite and like you said, he's not the guy to play the reluctant hero who's really the sidekick

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i get what u saying tho there have been some remake movies that have been pretty good just cant think off the top of my head

just this one i grew up with and watched the shyt outta of it and I'm :old: now and still watch the shyt outta of it :noah:

they do it well see if it holds up tho

bad enough they wanna make remake the raid
i dont even see how they could do that shyt on top of it :snoop:

The Thing, The Ring, Evil Dead (to me anyway) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (first one, not that prequel), Oceans 11, The Departed, Thomas Crown Affair, Insomnia, 3:10 to Yuma, True Lies, The Fly, Invasion of the body snatchers, Cape Fear, Magnificent Seven..that's all i got lol

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:camby: :snoop: :mindblown: :why: :scust:

stay far the fukk away from remaking this classic movie its still too good leave it alone for gods sake :snoop:
I feel you man.Big Trouble in Little China still gives me goosebumps when i watch it just like when i was a kid.Special movie right there.They bout to whore it out on some last action hero shyt.