Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Trailer

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Dungeons And Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Is Wrapping Its Box Office Run, And It's Not Great News For The Fans
The fantasy-comedy film Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has grossed over $207 million worldwide and was the 10th highest-grossing film of the year. As soon as you heard back in 2016 that this role-playing game adaptation would be making its way to movie theaters, you probably assumed that fans and anyone who favored the D&D cast which featured Hugh Grant, Chris Pine, Regé-Jean Page, and Michelle Rodriguez would be lining up to see this movie. However, its wrapped-up it's run in movie theaters, and the box office numbers say otherwise which might not be great news for the fans.

It’s hard to know why the masses aren’t racing to see Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Despite its massive marketing through the movie’s trailers and its big Super Bowl spot, audiences might have turned away from the movie due to the title. Its connections to the tabletop role-playing game it's based on could have had audiences believing this movie was tailored only toward D&D fans. The truth is, though, you don’t have to be a Dungeons and Dragons fan to enjoy Honor Among Thieves. If you love fantasy, heists, and good-hearted humor, you'd likely love this movie. Plus, the movie meets all fans where they're at, and doesn't expect you to be a D&D expert. So, you can ignore the D&D connection and just watch the movie for the fantasy-adventure aspects of it.

Even though the new Dungeons and Dragons movie may have suffered a disheartening box office, the critics had very positive things to say about the movie especially when it came to the stellar ensemble and the amazing practical effects. While there may have been Easter eggs for D&D fans, the comprehensible plot for those who’ve never played D&D was also a notable quality. One critic also noted that they loved the movie’s blend of light and dark where it’s like you’re watching something out of a Tolkien adaptation and then heading straight to The Princess Bride's lightness. Honor Among Thieves also has a critical score of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 93% audience score. It appears that those who saw the movie had an incredible experience watching it.

A Dungeons and Dragons sequel may not be in the cards anytime soon, but it doesn’t mean we’ll never see the Forgotten Realms again on screen. A spin-off series was ordered for Paramount+ that will consist of eight episodes with Red Notice’s Rawson Marshall Thurber acting as creator, writer, executive producer, and showrunner. This new series is said to “complement” the Honor Among Thieves side of the story. With this upcoming series and Honor Among Thieves being available to those with a Paramount+ subscription, this should increase this fantasy-heist film’s popularity.

What Honor Among Thieves co-producer Jeremy Latcham learned from his time producing Iron Man was not to count your chickens before they hatch. To just focus on this particular movie before thinking about a sequel. Unfortunately, the box office numbers don’t match the rave reviews the new Dungeons and Dragons received. But considering the film industry today is made up of sequels and spin-offs, I personally don’t believe the Dungeons and Dragons realm will be completely kaput. Even if we don’t get a theatrical sequel treatment, we may have a growing fan base among Paramount+ subscribers in the upcoming months which could mean more D&D projects on this particular streaming service.
That's too bad, because it's the funniest film that I've seen this year, thus far. Very entertaining too. I've watched it three times now. Once in the theater, and twice on Paramount Plus, and it's got good replay value. This is coming from someone who never played D&D in his life. I guess it's better to get one film than no film at all. :yeshrug: It still sucks to see good films flop though. :francis: I'll bet in ten years, after more people discover it; retrospective articles/videos will be done about this film as a movie that deserved to do better than it actually did.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
what are you talking about? it was talked about for a bit around its release

it was also unfortunately wedged between wick and mario
I saw the trailers and all that, I just assumed it was another trash cash grab trying to bank on known IP. I figure a movie this entertaining should've had a lot more conversation based around how good it is. I didn't even hear about any reviews.

Even this thread only has 2 pages. There's just not a lot of discussion that I've seen online.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
That was wildly entertaining. I've really only seen positive word of mouth online but I think this kinda flopped because of the awful trailers. When I saw them, I assumed this was gonna be trash and was surprised when I saw almost nothing but good things from people who watched it.