Duke vs. UNC thread

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
2005 was mainly the crew that Matt Doherty had recruited: Felton, May, McCants. Jawad Williams. Roy had brought in Marvin Williams though. Even then, people were throwing shade saying that Illinois was a better TEAM and that UNC had the better TALENT. Low key, 2009 shoulda been a back to back chip. He let Kansas mop them in the final four in 2008.

I'm fearing that Roy's time is about up. A cat like Shaka Smart could come to Chapel Hill and absolutely murda the recruiting trail.

i was just about to say this...on the real roy owes doherty an honorary ring for that title, cause he recruited all those players and despite them hating his fukking guts by the time he was fired, they still stayed at UNC. I've never seen a coach come into a better situation in the history of basketball except maybe steven kerr with the GS warriors this year. that phantom travel against 'nova iin the tourney that sealed their win was also very :dahell: . that was some lucky ass shyt to get that horrible call at that point in the game.

roy stayed underachieving at kansas and always choked. him not winning a ring with pierce, lafrentz and vaughn was fukking criminal...

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
i was just about to say this...on the real roy owes doherty an honorary ring for that title, cause he recruited all those players and despite them hating his fukking guts by the time he was fired, they still stayed at UNC. I've never seen a coach come into a better situation in the history of basketball except maybe steven kerr with the GS warriors this year. that phantom travel against 'nova iin the tourney that sealed their win was also very :dahell: . that was some lucky ass shyt to get that horrible call at that point in the game.

roy stayed underachieving at kansas and always choked. him not winning a ring with pierce, lafrentz and vaughn was fukking criminal...

See, I'm on the side that feels that Doherty didn't deserve a ring for recruiting all those players, namely May, McCants and Felton. They were coming to UNC regardless, with the exception of maybe Sean May; he was right there in Bloomington, IN, his pops played for Bobby Knight, but it was Coach Knight throwing salt in the game for IU by steering him away and letting UNC come in and get him. But Felton and McCants both grew up loving UNC and would probably have signed up to play there if you or I were coaching UNC. If anything I give Roy credit for holding everything together, because that situation was really torn up, especially when the perception was that the players ran Doherty outta town. When really, even Dean Smith realized that Doherty was in over his head, and basically told Roy, "aight, I know you stayed the first time. This time, I really need you to come in here and get this right". That's why I think, in my most humble opinion, that Roy probably got more enjoyment out of the 2009 title because they were all his players and nobody could go "oh but you ain't recruit them, that was all Doherty"

funkee

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
I hope dennis smith jr and harry giles are taking notes watching jones and okafor as a freshmen tandem/package deal...they're gonna look real good in duke blue.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
First of all....@jparker90 @muzikfrk75 @NaijaProdigy Redux
broom-striped.jpg
:win: :win: :win:

2005 was mainly the crew that Matt Doherty had recruited: Felton, May, McCants. Jawad Williams. Roy had brought in Marvin Williams though. Even then, people were throwing shade saying that Illinois was a better TEAM and that UNC had the better TALENT. Low key, 2009 shoulda been a back to back chip. He let Kansas mop them in the final four in 2008.

I'm fearing that Roy's time is about up. A cat like Shaka Smart could come to Chapel Hill and absolutely murda the recruiting trail.
No way in fukking HELL should Carolina have went back to back ANY year, esp not 2008 and 2009. Kansas, Memphis and UCLA all had better teams then that 2008 UNC team. Now had you had 2007, I might have agreed. That 2007 team was better than the 2009 team, and way deeper. They just ran out of luck bc they faced Georgetown. Only reason 2009 UNC won the title is because all of the great teams talent had left by then (Kansas, UCLA, Florida, Memphis).
See, I'm on the side that feels that Doherty didn't deserve a ring for recruiting all those players, namely May, McCants and Felton. They were coming to UNC regardless, with the exception of maybe Sean May; he was right there in Bloomington, IN, his pops played for Bobby Knight, but it was Coach Knight throwing salt in the game for IU by steering him away and letting UNC come in and get him. But Felton and McCants both grew up loving UNC and would probably have signed up to play there if you or I were coaching UNC. If anything I give Roy credit for holding everything together, because that situation was really torn up, especially when the perception was that the players ran Doherty outta town. When really, even Dean Smith realized that Doherty was in over his head, and basically told Roy, "aight, I know you stayed the first time. This time, I really need you to come in here and get this right". That's why I think, in my most humble opinion, that Roy probably got more enjoyment out of the 2009 title because they were all his players and nobody could go "oh but you ain't recruit them, that was all Doherty"
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....are you forgetting about Bill Guthridge LOLOLOL. Motherfukker sucked. Doherty saved yall's asses with that recruiting class. Lets not act like Doherty shouldn't have deserved that shyt. All Roy did was bring in Marvin Williams. The rest of that team was nothing but juniors and seniors. To be fair though, Roy had a beast fukking class with Marvin Williams, JamesOn Curry and JR Smith. I'm happy as fukk that Curry and Smith never suited up for y'all that year.

Thatrogueassdiaz

Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Love seeing hubert davis bytchass mad on the bench, dude was so damn biased for UNC when he was doing color commentary. fukk him and the rest of heels.
He was super biased when he was a color commentator. Remember when Bob Knight sonned him in 2010 during Duke's senior night? :laff:
They aren't. The lack of shooters and playmakers gets them in trouble again. Paige can get so much attention because no teams fear any other players on the floor.

They need shooters...badly

Everyone hones in on Paige
They haven't had great shooters since 2009, imo. Wayne Ellington isn't walking through that door :sas2:

that's typical Roy. He can only excel when his team has the most talent in the nation and even then he's lost when he shouldn't have (see 2008 final four & 2011). Live by the "gaddumit", die by the "gaddumit". :youngsabo:
Yup. He hasn't had great talent since 2009. I mean that fukking fakkit Harrison Barnes was decent, and Kendall Marshall was a great system player, but ever since the violation allegations and UK uprising, Roy hasn't been shyt.
Roy won 2005 & 2009 though. I think we had the most talent in 09 i dont remember about 05 @DredScott
Wake, UNC, Illinois and Louisville were far and away the best teams that year

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
First of all....@jparker90 @muzikfrk75 @NaijaProdigy Redux
broom-striped.jpg
:win: :win: :win:

No way in fukking HELL should Carolina have went back to back ANY year, esp not 2008 and 2009. Kansas, Memphis and UCLA all had better teams then that 2008 UNC team. Now had you had 2007, I might have agreed. That 2007 team was better than the 2009 team, and way deeper. They just ran out of luck bc they faced Georgetown. Only reason 2009 UNC won the title is because all of the great teams talent had left by then (Kansas, UCLA, Florida, Memphis).

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....are you forgetting about Bill Guthridge LOLOLOL. Motherfukker sucked. Doherty saved yall's asses with that recruiting class. Lets not act like Doherty shouldn't have deserved that shyt. All Roy did was bring in Marvin Williams. The rest of that team was nothing but juniors and seniors. To be fair though, Roy had a beast fukking class with Marvin Williams, JamesOn Curry and JR Smith. I'm happy as fukk that Curry and Smith never suited up for y'all that year.

I love Gut as much as the next man but the recruiting had fallen off under him. He was part of the reason the 8-20 season happened. UNC is one of the few schools that recruits itself. You get a boss on the recruiting trail + name brand program (i.e. Kentucky + Calipari, dook + K) and success is guaranteed. Felton and McCants were going to UNC regardless. May was pretty much handed to us by Coach Knight. Let's not front like Doherty was not on the verge of setting the program back big time. He just happened to be manning the ship when McCants, May and Felton signed on.

Daps
UNC is most definitely a school that can get a lot of big name talent very interested, simply by the program and the beautiful campus itself, but let's be honest. All those fake classes gave them a huge advantage on the recruiting trail and most definitely during the season. There's a reason UNC hasn't done much since all that stuff came to light. I wonder what Chancellor Folt is thinking with Syracuse and Boeheim being suspended all those games?

Thatrogueassdiaz

Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I love Gut as much as the next man but the recruiting had fallen off under him. He was part of the reason the 8-20 season happened. UNC is one of the few schools that recruits itself. You get a boss on the recruiting trail + name brand program (i.e. Kentucky + Calipari, dook + K) and success is guaranteed. Felton and McCants were going to UNC regardless. May was pretty much handed to us by Coach Knight. Let's not front like Doherty was not on the verge of setting the program back big time. He just happened to be manning the ship when McCants, May and Felton signed on.
Oh UNC recruits itself, huh? How's that worked out in the last few years? Smh

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
I feel like we gonna be alright tonight been playing a lot better since we got unranked I say Luke Kennard has a 25+ point game. I hope Ingram doesn't try to play alone

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
Adding @funkee @DredScott @Bishop_BP_Jakes

Can see this going either way to be honest. UNC has no reason not to sweep us but they've been playing like shyt. I'd assume they'd get up for a rivalry game though
I can adnot they're the better team but we have the momentum right now. We have 3 in a row against UNC and a Natty over their heads they might come out swinging :to: