Drakes earlier music sounded a lot more polished than Kendrick

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
I, for one, welcome our new space overlords.
Lab designed. No one knew Drake in 2007 but his first mixtapes had Wayne features. It was by design that Drake will be Drake.

I knew it back in 2012 after Take Care dropped. My last year as a Drake fan and not entirely coincidentally, my last year as a teenager. That guy is the biggest industry plant ever. And it worked.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Drake got with Wayne at the right time… fresh off a milli first week with C3…

He scored a jackpot with Drake..

He was marketable(Black women love a light skinned dude)

All of a sudden, he became most requested for features.

Wayne, Cash Money, and the Princes weren’t going to let their “investment” go to waste

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
this much should be obvious to anyone who was listening in the Comeback Season/So Far Gone era.

The sound he had that got him noticed doesn't even share similarities to what he sounds like now, which is pretty damning an indictment of his pen. Early Kendrick still sounds like Kendrick. Like the same 'character', just further along in the seasons of the show.

Drake's pen sounds like it's been Aunt Viv recast 4-5 times at LEAST.

I, ironically, believe that he has the most hand in his R&B/Pop singing outing than his bars by far, and I even think dude has a good staff that works with him on those sounds - good enough to carry a career in that lane alone. Hell, the number of tracks he has writing credits on for non-rappers is high and pretty quality.

I don't think Drake could freestyle. I don't think he could sequence a record and be able to move bars around and rearrange them in post to adjust the track. I don't think he could have gotten 20 minutes of bars and then moved and spliced things during the process of the beef the way Kendrick threw in rebuttal bars after the fact and then dropped so people were thinking he fully recored MTG/NLU after Family Matters when he very much did not.

I think Drake is a pop artist. And if he'd accepted that and leaned into that, no one would be on his neck about it like they are. No one cares that The-Dream wrote Umbrella for Rihanna. But if they found out he also wrote Jay's verse; there would be conversations.

Drake just wants to have his cake and eat it when that just isn't his bag.

He's definitely been fraudulent from multiple directions though. But there is a talent in being that adaptable/malleable as to move from fad to fad like he has. But being that moldable means you don't have a shape of your own. And... that's pretty much the Story of Adid Drake
Yup, no growing pains

Like there's no music that sounds like an amateur trying to get there

Bruh basically just had ghost writers for dudes who could mimic the hottest sounds of thr current generation

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Yup, no growing pains

Like there's no music that sounds like an amateur trying to get there

Bruh basically just had ghost writers for dudes who could mimic the hottest sounds of thr current generation
Drake was basically getting power-leveled his whole career.
Always had someone higher level stood next to him, making sure he had the support and the tools to succeed. Making sure he got seen. Carrying tracks that needed salvation when the writers just couldn't spare enough bars.

Which is whatever. Plenty of dudes had that. But... all of those dudes ended up B-tier max because... you can't ever be better than your teacher if you are always being taught. Bleek, Banks, AZ, etc. All stood beside greats. Became good. Never became them.

But Aubrey came out talking like he'd made it to S-Tier and sat atop the game... when you can't be that person while focus group-testing your bars.

Artists that make it there do so with some help, but always have to grind their own skill/sound out the mud. They always have to have a period of time with more misses than hits, just to learn what NOT to do.

Drake ain't get that kind of education. And when he couldn't stand in Wayne or Kanye or Jay shadows anymore.... what do you do? Iron sharpens iron. Drake got so big before really being left on his own that now he can't even spar to get better because everyone around him is either hoping he fails, aiming to take his spot, or so afraid of losing their meal-ticket...

it's like in the beginning of Attack on Titan when the fat king never considered he was playing people letting him win. So when it comes down time to play someone who won't... you ain't ready.

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Lab designed. No one knew Drake in 2007 but his first mixtapes had Wayne features. It was by design that Drake will be Drake.

I knew it back in 2012 after Take Care dropped. My last year as a Drake fan and not entirely coincidentally, my last year as a teenager. That guy is the biggest industry plant ever. And it worked.
So Far Gone had TREY SONGZ

Last edited:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Take Care had TREY SONGZ
before Take Care tbh

Comeback Season had Trey on there three times. Replacement Girl even got played on BET when no one knew who the recycled-paper colored Canadian was besides people who watched way too much random TV.
Mans had Phonte and Elzhi on that album and Kardinal Offishall

Aubrey was also sat on the car in the background of the Wonder Woman video.

The exposure-to-skills disparity was really telling on the early stuff. He had musical access to people no B-tier teen actor from Canada shoulda had for his first project that not even the other teens on the show took seriously when he put it out.

We joke about Degrassi and never really mention that it wasn't even like Wheelchair Jimmy was a major character on the show. It's one thing that Arianna ended up where she did - that girl can legit sing, and came off an American teen show where she was basically the #2 lead.

Jimmy wasn't even Mr. Feeney status on Degrassi in terms of focus. shyt just don't match up without some outside assistance.

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
before Take Care tbh

Comeback Season had Trey on there three times. Replacement Girl even got played on BET when no one knew who the recycled-paper colored Canadian was besides people who watched way too much random TV.
Mans had Phonte and Elzhi on that album and Kardinal Offishall

Aubrey was also sat on the car in the background of the Superwoman video.

The exposure-to-skills disparity was really telling on the early stuff. He had musical access to people no B-tier teen actor from Canada shoulda had for his first project that not even the other teens on the show took seriously when he put it out.

We joke about Degrassi and never really mention that it wasn't even like Wheelchair Jimmy was a major character on the show. It's one thing that Arianna ended up where she did - that girl can legit sing, and came off an American teen show where she was basically the #2 lead.

Jimmy wasn't even Mr. Feeney status on Degrassi in terms of focus. shyt just don't match up without some outside assistance.
Yeah I had the albums mixed up

I really wanna know whats the real story

Drake probably bought his way in

He had that much from Degrassi money tho :ohhh:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Actor money from theatre world where recording arts is a turn down the other hallway

the other is probably a covert music school alumni painted out to be a prodigy of sorts

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Yeah I had the albums mixed up

I really wanna know whats the real story

Drake probably bought his way in

He had that much from Degrassi money tho :ohhh:
probably more likely just some situational leverage. Use who and what you are to gain accesses you normally wouldn't have.
Plus, it was clear that his deal situation was on some weird shyt from the jump with how many people had their hands in the pot.
certain groups have wanted to infiltrate what had become the biggest music genre in the world at the time but had notoriously been insular and rejected including people who didn't match the culture.

Em got passed because the man had transcendant lyrical skill at the time, but even he required Dre co-signing him for years and constant showcases just to prove to people that he could actually rap.
Drake ain't have a Dre to introduce him to the world. And he damn sure didn't have Em's skillset. But what he did have was a man with a big mustache down in Memphis that the mere existence of got his foot in the door with a single utterance of the world 'nikka'. (which he said wrong)

But it seemed to have worked. Technically speaking, Marshall Mathers has more in common with, and connection to, the poor black American inner-city that the spirit of all hip-hop is born from than Aubrey Graham did. And they're basically the same color; visually.

Amazing what one black parent can do for someone.

Because I'mma jump out this window: Drake isn't actually even a better rapper than Lil dikky. He makes hits. He sells records. He does tours. But if it were a meritocracy on actual rap skills, Drake ain't where he is now. But it isn't. And Drake was able to leverage his black father into a position in the culture that he... probably doesn't deserve tbh.

Good for him tho :yeshrug:
And good for the legion of ghostwriters that have been keeping food on their table because an off-white Canadian made the right connections with Lyor'nem.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
Its easy to sound polished when you’ve got veteran ghostwriters penning your shyt.

No wonder Nas sounds so crisp on those bullshyt albums' with Hit Boy, he got A-Z and Cormega still writing his shyt :wow: