Dragon Age: The Veilguard (October 31, 2024)

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I'm someone who only ever played DA Inquisition, and really liked it. What do yall think would be the best old DA game for me to try if I want more?
All three games play extremely different from each other.

I Prefer the Action combat so I loved DA2 on the console. On PC it plays more like a faster Dragon Age: Origins.

Origins is like the old school CRPGs where it's real time but you pause to issue commands etc.

Both games are cheap but I liked the overall story so I recommend you get them both to at least understand everything that came before DA4

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm kinda in the middle - I think DA/DA:O got its props because it was different from traditional CRPGs at the time. And it was great.

At the same time, DA:I got a lot of attention for what it wasn't instead of what it was. Like the busy work/material stuff wasn't that different from anything in other stuff in the genre at the time. Witcher, ME, Skyrim, Fallout, all had a resource crunch in some form or another. Hell, Baldurs Gate 3 will teach players to pick up literally everything they can highlight lol... But because DA:I didn't pivot far enough away from DA2 (which probably shouldn't have been called DA2 at all fr), there was just more pushback from fans of the 1st title and Bioware in general.

Like dead ass if they pallet swap DA for KOTOR and keep the principal bones/themes/focus of this, people would treat it entirely differently. Like I just finished the palace section tonight and this shyt is written better than stuff that gets glazed or regularly conveniently ignored in Mass Effect.

All facts here.

In all honesty, as much as I love DA: O it absolutely benefitted from the fact that CRPGs were at a low point as far as large mainstream releases. It hasn't particularly aged all that well, not just from a graphical standpoint (which, if we're being real, wasn't s strength even when it came out), but just from how stiff the gameplay was, even as something meant to be more of a hardcore RPG. Dragon Age 2 swung way too far in the other direction, and had they stuck with it being a game in the same series without having the direct sequel label on it, it would've been received at least a little better. Still would've gotten cooked for the repeated dungeon layouts and the combat being too streamlined, but that's easier to accept from a spinoff.

Inquisition's primary crime was believing that more is always more. The sheer volume of sidequests that are tedious and ultimately pointless is crazy. But then there are other quests that are actually great, and ask some pretty solid questions about the world of the game (like Blackwall's whole situation suggests that maybe the Wardens were fukked even before the opening of Origins), but they're buried so deep into a game that hammers you with shyt you can ignore that it's unsurprising people missed it. But outside of that, it's honestly a great game, and despite not being the most groundbreaking game in the series, it might be the best overall game in the series.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
icegif-520.gif

Damn the placeholder name was way cooler
bioware can't get right man :dead:

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
Well, the leaks/rumors were true: you can only have two companions at a time instead of three

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Can’t wait to see people lose their minds when they find out its more of an action game this time around lol

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
It's a bad sign, because just like with DA:I and Andromeda, there's gonna be a Mass Effect game off of this one as well, so if DA is a disappointing it's gonna be a double up.
Shocking that these guys were once the darling of the gaming community. There was a time BioWare were viewed as CDPR was prior to the Cyberpunk fiasco and how Larian are now viewed and adored. Truly sad how EA just Shang Tsung them on your soul is mine and literally took the soul of the company.