Dr.Dre officially becomes the FIRST billionaire in hip hop (only 10 black billionaires in the world)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
these rappers need to start getting into the tech industry, startups, venture capital and all that jazz. If I had access to these nikkas, that'd be the hustle I'd try to put them on.

Just read this.

The VC hustle is bullet-proof, damn near guaranteed to make money :whoo:
That shyt is cray. I wonder if mofos like Jigga, Puff and Rush would start a VC for the hell of it. All they need is one hit then boom! From what I read, that sounds as bad as deal with a major label.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i wonder if this is more than just the headphones and the streaming service. with dre and iovine down with apple they could go ahead and change the way music is made and distributed. with both their pull in the industry they could turn beats/itunes into a major label/distributor/outlet. just a thought but this could potentially a big change in the music industry

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
these rappers need to start getting into the tech industry, startups, venture capital and all that jazz. If I had access to these nikkas, that'd be the hustle I'd try to put them on.

Just read this.

The VC hustle is bullet-proof, damn near guaranteed to make money :whoo:

no it's not. we only hear about the successful deals and not the truck load of VCs that lost money and went under.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
That shyt is cray. I wonder if mofos like Jigga, Puff and Rush would start a VC for the hell of it. All they need is one hit then boom! From what I read, that sounds as bad as deal with a major label.

Breh hell yeah. The music business isn't the only place where nikkas getting jerked. But worse of all with a tech startup, you almost have to get million dollar funding because there isn't an effective way to monetize it to keep it afloat.

no it's not. we only hear about the successful deals and not the truck load of VCs that lost money and went under.

I was a little overzealous with that statement but the deals are setup for the VC to receive the lions share. The lionsshare of 0 is still 0 I suppose

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
i wonder if this is more than just the headphones and the streaming service. with dre and iovine down with apple they could go ahead and change the way music is made and distributed. with both their pull in the industry they could turn beats/itunes into a major label/distributor/outlet. just a thought but this could potentially a big change in the music industry

This is exactly what Steve Jobs was hoping to set-up with Doug Morris at the helm

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Dre and Jimmy are going over to work at Apple

Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine Would Both Join Apple in Beats Deal - WSJ.com

Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine Would Both Join Apple in Beats Deal
Music mogul Jimmy Iovine gravitates to the limelight in a way that previously might have made him ill-suited to work at Apple Inc., AAPL -0.42% which historically had one face: Steve Jobs.

But as Apple completes a deal to buy headphone and streaming-service company Beats Electronics LLC from Mr. Iovine and his co-founder, rap star Dr. Dre, both men are likely to take senior positions with the Cupertino, Calif., tech company, according to people familiar with the matter, commuting from the Los Angeles area to Silicon Valley—or meetings elsewhere—as needed.

Though the details of the men's potential Apple assignments remain unclear, the mere possibility underscores how Apple's corporate culture has loosened under the leadership of Mr. Jobs's successor, Chief Executive Tim Cook. Though Mr. Iovine and Dr. Dre—whose real name is Andre Young —would likely be the coolest kids by a long shot on Apple's campus, they aren't the first big personalities Mr. Cook has welcomed to Apple headquarters from flashier industries.

Last year he hired former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts to run retail, for example. He also posed for the cover of Bloomberg Businessweek with Apple executives Jonathan Ive and Craig Federighi —a display that would have been unthinkable in the Jobs era, when Apple's products were the only other stars permitted to shine.

Assuming Apple seals the deal to buy Beats, Mr. Iovine will leave his longtime post as chairman of Interscope Geffen A&M records, a division of Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group, according to a person familiar with the matter, though it isn't clear how soon he would depart. Universal, which owns a 14% stake in Beats and would reap roughly $500 million from a $3.2 billion acquisition, is likely to let Mr. Iovine split before his contract expires early next year.

Interscope President John Janick, 35 years old, has for more than 18 months been overseeing day-to-day operations at the label while Mr. Iovine focused his attention on Beats and other ventures such as his role on "American Idol." In 2013, Mr. Janick guided the label through its most profitable year on record.

Mr. Iovine, 61, may not have landed a gig at Apple under Mr. Jobs, but the two were close friends, and Mr. Jobs was sometimes a house guest at Mr. Iovine's Los Angeles home. Among the acts Mr. Iovine has produced are Tom Petty, Patti Smith and U2, for whom he helped win a deal to create a specially designed iPod preloaded with the band's music.

While Mr. Iovine's rock-star temperament could still ruffle some feathers in tech-centric Cupertino, it may help Apple broker deals in the music industry and appeal to the younger consumers who gravitate to Beats headphones.

He has been just as creative as a deal maker. After co-founding Interscope in 1990 with retail and media heir Ted Field and Time Warner Inc., TWX +0.49% he wrested away Time Warner's 50% share of the fast-growing label five years later for a discounted price of $115 million, after a Time Warner shareholder complained that Interscope's "gangsta rap" was offensive. Mr. Iovine resold that same stake a year later for $200 million to MCA Records, which was eventually absorbed by what is now Universal Music.

Mr. Iovine and Mr. Young, who co-founded Beats in Santa Monica, Calif., in 2006, profited again after selling a 50.1% stake in Beats Electronics to Taiwan's HTCCorp. 2498.TW -2.95% for around $300 million, only to buy back half of what they sold a year later for around $150 million—a discount given Beats' substantial growth in the intervening months.

The pending Apple deal is the richest of them all, a $3.2 billion payday for Mr. Iovine and his backers that Dr. Dre has already proclaimed on YouTube will make him "the first billionaire in hip-hop."

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly

Why not? All that money they pour into stereotypical "black" businesses, they could start a VC easily. Hire some tech background guys and be the money behind it. The guy (Paul Graham) who started Y Combinator had a HELL lot less money than Jay-Z and Puff...he sold his first company for $50MM, which is nothing compared to them, and then started the seed fund. After 10 years, Y Combinator has given seed funding to so many companies, AirBnb (now worth $10 Billion :lawdeddie:smile:, Reddit (now worth $240 million), DropBox (now worth $10 billion :lawdeddie:smile:, Stripe (now worth 1.75 billion :lawdeddie:smile:, Heroku (acquired for $250 million). Shiiiit nikkkkkkaaaaaa....the first thing I'd invest in would be a VC if I had Puff and Jigga's money :lawdeddie:

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly

Jay was going to give $10 million dollars to a convicted felon with no real work history to purchase a commercial property. Does that seem financially prudent to you :sas1: Instead of giving $10 million to that questionable muthafukka, you could give $100,000 to 100 startup companies. Odds are a handful of that 100 would be successful enough to cover your investment. Then again, he's Jay-Z. I'm me. He's rich. I'm not. I can't tell that dude nothing about nothing. But hopefully....Dre selling Beats to Apple makes some of the rap bosses realize its alot of money in the tech world.