Dr Claud Anderson -State of Black America [2014] (this is what yall dont want to hear)

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I don't see him slamming acquiring knowledge. Where?

"Education" and acquiring knowledge are two different things and carry different connotations. If you believe this guy, schools are the least of Black people's worries, it's their local economies then with that settled, you can buy all the other stuff. All besides the point since these paradigms are going to be archaic fairly soon.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
everyone isn't awake yet, man. what can i say? i was blind and ignorant to this type of mindset in my teenage and young adulthood as well. sadly, what we really need is a popular rapper to put this type of shyt in a hot verse. sad but true

Yeah but I mean if this thread would have been something like

"Mexican dude trips a black woman" coli Militant squad would have been in here full force along with the usual characters talkin about the silliest things that need to be done etc in the meantime Dr Anderson basically sets out a blue print and I don't see a fraction of the response

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
everyone isn't awake yet, man. what can i say? i was blind and ignorant to this type of mindset in my teenage and young adulthood as well. sadly, what we really need is a popular rapper to put this type of shyt in a hot verse. sad but true

True, a few years ago, I thought the same. Can't wait to get independent schools in place, so there's generations of blacks embedded with this mindset instead of spending all the time teaching people who will likely never change. Btw, I heard there was a black hotel in LA 50+ years ago, does that still exist?

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Dr Anderson makes some great points. However, how can what he is talking about being applied right now by us? I think of one example being Harlem. Right now, it's undergoing revitalization and some people are upset about whites moving in and the rising prices of housing. This goes back to what Dr Anderson speaks about. For those Blacks/Dominicans/Puerto Ricans, etc that own their apartments, houses, condos, etc they will benefit from the revitalization. The key is ownership. If you're just a renter then you are subject at any moment to be priced out.

Even when Harlem becomes totally "redone", they will still sell it off the history of the area. You have places like the Red Rooster which is owned by Marcus Samuelsson, but it would nice to see some more black owned business's in the area in general.

Funny you say Harlem, because I live right here, and there's at least 100k black folks residing here. If even 10k of the black population got on the same page, agreed to put $1.4 mil(that's $140 a person,or $12 each month) to establish a homework help program that runs Monday - Friday(4pm -,7pm) which pays 5 top black HS/college students $13/hr($780 a month per student) to help 20-30 black kids with their homework. That's just one example of something that could be done now, there's a bunch of things that could be done now, the main thing is for us to collectively come up with an agenda/plan and circulating MONEY to accomplish it.

I meet with various groups/churches/etc trying to do what I said above , and it's such an uphill battle. Between egos; people refusing to challenge white supremacy, etc, it's hard to get black people on the same page and agree to circulate money to black buisnesses; buy politicians, build schools, etc. I could sit here and discuss things that can be done now, but that requires us to agree to it and pool resources to establish it. As soon as we come up with an agenda; pool money together to establish it, you'll start to see Claude and others plans in motion.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
th

W.T. Sherman
Author of Special Order Number 15

I. The islands from Charleston, south, the abandoned rice fields along the rivers for thirty miles back from the sea, and the country bordering the St. Johns River, Florida, are reserved and set apart for the settlement of the negroes now made free by the acts of war and the proclamation of the President of the United States.

II. At Beaufort, Hilton Head, Savannah, Fernandina, St. Augustine and Jacksonville, the blacks may remain in their chosen or accustomed vocations—but on the islands, and in the settlements hereafter to be established, no white person whatever, unless military officers and soldiers detailed for duty, will be permitted to reside; and the sole and exclusive management of affairs will be left to the freed people themselves, subject only to the United States military authority and the acts of Congress. By the laws of war, and orders of the President of the United States, the negro is free and must be dealt with as such. He cannot be subjected to conscription or forced military service, save by the written orders of the highest military authority of the Department, under such regulations as the President or Congress may prescribe. Domestic servants, blacksmiths, carpenters and other mechanics, will be free to select their own work and residence, but the young and able-bodied negroes must be encouraged to enlist as soldiers in the service of the United States, to contribute their share towards maintaining their own freedom, and securing their rights as citizens of the United States.

Negroes so enlisted will be organized into companies, battalions and regiments, under the orders of the United States military authorities, and will be paid, fed and clothed according to law. The bounties paid on enlistment may, with the consent of the recruit, go to assist his family and settlement in procuring agricultural implements, seed, tools, boots, clothing, and other articles necessary for their livelihood.

III. Whenever three respectable negroes, heads of families, shall desire to settle on land, and shall have selected for that purpose an island or a locality clearly defined, within the limits above designated, the Inspector of Settlements and Plantations will himself, or by such subordinate officer as he may appoint, give them a license to settle such island or district, and afford them such assistance as he can to enable them to establish a peaceable agricultural settlement. The three parties named will subdivide the land, under the supervision of the Inspector, among themselves and such others as may choose to settle near them, so that each family shall have a plot of not more than (40) forty acres of tillable ground, and when it borders on some water channel, with not more than 800 feet water front, in the possession of which land the military authorities will afford them protection, until such time as they can protect themselves, or until Congress shall regulate their title. The Quartermaster may, on the requisition of the Inspector of Settlements and Plantations, place at the disposal of the Inspector, one or more of the captured steamers, to ply between the settlements and one or more of the commercial points heretofore named in orders, to afford the settlers the opportunity to supply their necessary wants, and to sell the products of their land and labor.

IV. Whenever a negro has enlisted in the military service of the United States, he may locate his family in any one of the settlements at pleasure, and acquire a homestead, and all other rights and privileges of a settler, as though present in person. In like manner, negroes may settle their families and engage on board the gunboats, or in fishing, or in the navigation of the inland waters, without losing any claim to land or other advantages derived from this system. But no one, unless an actual settler as above defined, or unless absent on Government service, will be entitled to claim any right to land or property in any settlement by virtue of these orders.

V. In order to carry out this system of settlement, a general officer will be detailed as Inspector of Settlements and Plantations, whose duty it shall be to visit the settlements, to regulate their police and general management, and who will furnish personally to each head of a family, subject to the approval of the President of the United States, a possessory title in writing, giving as near as possible the description of boundaries; and who shall adjust all claims or conflicts that may arise under the same, subject to the like approval, treating such titles altogether as possessory. The same general officer will also be charged with the enlistment and organization of the negro recruits, and protecting their interests while absent from their settlements; and will be governed by the rules and regulations prescribed by the War Department for such purposes.

VI. Brigadier General R. SAXTON is hereby appointed Inspector of Settlements and Plantations, and will at once enter on the performance of his duties. No change is intended or desired in the settlement now on Beaufort [Port Royal] Island, nor will any rights to property heretofore acquired be affected thereby.

BY ORDER OF MAJOR GENERAL W. T. SHERMAN:

a link to his memoirs for those interested http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4361/4361-h/4361-h.htm

Special order number 15 was revoked by U.S. President Andrew Johnson
th
who succeeded Abraham Lincoln after his assassination.

Im from lowcountry SC (Charleston) and the islands are still primarily black territory. Never knew about this though. ..very interesting and makes sense

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
:why::what: Why did this get unstickied?? Cause its not Black History Month anymore??? fukk that noise...

And why did this only reach 4 pages (50 post per)?

Anyway:salute:Dr. Anderson an OG Winston-Salem native. He broke shyt down perfectly. Education without an economic foundation or community to use it in can be as detrimental as it can be helpful.

I'm sending this vid to everyone I know:obama:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Now this is the shyt I can get behind. He spoke about solutions. Here we speak about problems and then blame/hate white folk for everything and at the end of the conversation we're no better off in mindset than we were at the start. People that don't care about you can't/won't help you, so you can cry till your tears fill dasani warehouses and it won't make a difference. Its fukked up when even your own people with wealth/money shyt on you, see:rap music. It's fukked up that you have to be an athelete/entertainer just to be able to afford a house in the same neighborhood as folks that are doctors/lawyers/dentists etc. We're laborers/consumers instead of being owners/producers and once we get money we stop giving a fukk about our own, who am I kidding? You can't stop doing something you've never started.
I don't really agree with none of bolded. Firstly you don't have to be a league dude to get a house where doctors and lawyers live at. Truthfully this sounds like that sayings of someone that has only lived in the hood and saw no sign of success outside of,the league or entertainment. I don't think people in general care about the whole they say so but mainly its about your family and friends for,the most part. Think about it how many even on here really doing all this worrying about the community? Its always a few but most people talking might as well blow up a balloon with all that hot air they using. Definitely speaking for myself its about fam, friends, first then community.