Dope (2015) - Comedy of Young black kids in LA in coming of age story

504Slim

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
:whoa: Get some lessons first; He's not a natural. Wasn't bad. I never want to see Tyga or that other asian dude in a movie again, tho :scusthov:
you talkin bout homie wit the fake bags?
me & some homies was arguing ; i say he was asian , my homies say he mexican
does that nikka even look mexican?

504Slim

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
After reading page after page of complaints about the N-word usage here, I'm not sure where those complaints come from? Outside of the scenes with the white stoner hacker (which I'll address later), I never really noticed much of the word being used. It's just there and maybe there's a site that counts these kinds of things like they do with "fukk" but I doubt they used it more than in movies like Boyz N The Hood or Menace II Society. And just to check that I wasn't going completely insane, I searched the N-word on the Coli, only in posts made in the past week, and got 192 results. You might want to take that in for a moment, then ask yourself whether the usage in the movie was incessant or accurate.
tumblr_m39ms1Fa7d1qcjgu9o1_500.jpg

504Slim

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
The word nikka was used, in my opinion, way too much. Even the characters mom SPOILER while getting blocked off by a man in a red car- while shes driving a bus uses the word nikka after it being boarded by said man who is in possession of a pistol. You're telling me that a single mother bus driver has absolutely no fear, and is moreso ANNOYED at the fact of being INCONVENIENCED that she would respond disparagingly to a gun wielding criminal in her face rather than panic, cower, or freeze up at a moment like that? Really?

you think thats the 1st time a gun been pulled out on her since she been driving that bus.(or her whole life)?
or even bus drivers in real life...In california

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
I would've liked to see this adapted TV into a tv show somehow.
This. This movie would do very good as a tv show. Would love to see his college experience.

I thought the main protagonist was very good. Highly enjoyable film. It's like a west coast version of everybody hates Chris.

cjlaw93

(Black) American
Daps
Just saw this movie on Netflix like an hour ago. I put this movie in the same category as 'Dear White People' ("new black" type of films). I can tell where Pharells influence was in the movie.A lot of parts were pretty cringeworthy (the use of the n-word by the sand Cac and the Cac, even the main character). I should have turned the movie off in the beginning when "getting good grades" and "applying to college" was classified as "white people shyt" when that's far from the truth, even in the hood where half or most of the damn black people in college come from, but I continued watching. The movie is supposed to be set in the 2000s I'm assuming but the Gang shyt in it seems outdated. The Rollin 60s coming in the restaurant bussin on some '92 shyt :scust: and the wearing bandanas and shyt :comeon:. And what people are saying about the lightskin/ dark skin casting is very true. It was no darkskinned women in the whole movie :what:. The Harvard graduate being an OG gang member/ drug dealer :mindblown:. Cooking drugs in a school lab on some dumbass New Jack City Carter courtyard shyt :mindblown:. This movie kind of represents a lot that is wrong with our culture/ generation and the integration of it. They sure didn't hesitate to put a BW/ WM sex fantasy type shyt in there either :shaq2:. Overall I give the movie a 4/10 and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. We as black people cant complain how we're getting portrayed in Hollywood if we turn around and make stereotypical bullshyt like this when its time to make a movie. This was nowhere near House Party, ATL, or The Wood or any other black coming of age movie. I hope this movie doesn't open the door for more like it.