DON'T fukk THIS UP (AGAIN) KYLE!!....2024 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS SEASON THREAD.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Let's take a look at our Cornerbacks

Cornerbacks

Charvarius Ward - Former Kansas City Chief. Ward has proven to be one of the biggest free agency steals of time, Ward has proven to be an underrated borderline elite corner possessing great speak even moving laterally he can cover most of the NFLs receivers with white on rice. On top of that he is a capable tackler. He may have 'only' 10 interceptions in his career but it also comes down to middling or less being hesitant to throw in his general direction. The 49ers better make the most of his time though as he is an UFA after this season and quite frankly, he will be too expensive for us to re-sign. He took a team friendly contract but the open marker can see corners of his level getting 60 plus million contracts by teams hungry for a defensive leader,

Performance: A-
Potential: A-
Overall: A-

Deomedore Lenior - Former 5th round pick in 2021. Lenior is already an NFL veteran at not even 25, He is what some would call a 'DAWG'. He is not perfect but he makes the right play more often than not, Recovers nicely even if he gets beat. This is a combination of work ethic, good coaching on the defensive side and his overall health. This is another player who could command insane money in the open market. At only 25 by the end of this season. He will be in line for a massive payday. Some team if it is not us will pay him #1 corner money based of his youth and the fact he has played way above his draft status,

Performance: B+
Potential: B+
Overall: B+

Renardo Green - I had Green as maybe the 3rd or 4th best corner in the draft. To get him in the 2nd round to me was great value for the pick. I thought he might need a year to two to get acclimated to the NFL but he clearly picked up quickly. I think he could be the cornerback of the future should we lose Mooney and Demo. But his play had been so impressive he made Samuel Womack III expendable and allayed fears after Ambry Thomas got hurt, I expect a bright NFL future.

Performance: B
Overall: B

Isaac Yiadom - Former Denver Bronco, Yiadom had a breakout season last year. He had a career high in tackles and passes defended and looked like he was taking a leap after an unremarkable career up to this point. I don't know if he can mimic last season but he doesn't have to here. If he bolsters the depth of the cornerback position he will already be an upgrade from the previous year's group.

Performance: C+
Potential: C+
Overall: C+

Rock Ya-Sin - Former 2019 second round pick. He had a solid 2020 but has languished since then. Ya-Sin is not really good in coverage. He almost moves like a linebacker BUT he is solid scecial teams player. Matches well against more physical receivers and is a good tackler in run support. There will be packages where he will be lined up against heavy offensive sets. But can also fill in as a depth piece in a pinch.

Performance: C
Potential: C
Overall: C

Darell Luter Jr - 2023 Fifth round pick from South Alabama. Luter has all the measurables of a high level corner (6ft, long arms, sub 4.5 40) but his flaws are apparent and he needs more seasoning. He does not have the best instincts and even on special teams his speed does not always show on tape. But you can't teach size and length so keeping him on the team where he can be coached up makes sense. He still has the upside to be a potential nickel back or ouside corner.

Performance: C-
Overall: C-

Unit Analysis

This cornerback group dollar for dollar is among the most well balanced in the league. The starters all solid in coverage and tackling to various degrees. Renardo Green is an instant starter level CB Even the reserves all are relatively young and have starts under their belt and Luter is an intriguing prospect with upside still on a 5th round contract. Even if the defensive line falters at times, this is a very solid group that will be a net positive should they stay healthy.

Unit Grade: B+

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Safeties

Talamoa Hufanga - 2021 6th round pick. Hufanga has grown into an All-Pro Safety. With unique combination of elite instinct, soft hands and bone crunching tackles. He has garnered comparisons to Troy Paolumalu. Unfortunately e suffered a season ending knee injury and is working his way back. He may play less snaps the first few games of the season but it will be much more important he is healthy for the playoffs. He changes the entire tone of the secondary.

Performance: B+
Potential: A
Overall: A-

Ja'yir Brown - Brown had an up and down rookie season but once he settled in he showed why he was drafted where he was making key plays in the latter part of the season and an impressive performance leading up to and during the Superbowl. Penn State defensive players come in well coached, they come in ready to contribute right away and have fairly long stable careers health permitting. Brown will be a perfect compliment to Hufanga and both only being 24, should be for a long time.

Performance: B

Malik Mustapha - 2024 4th round pick, Mustapha may be the steal of the draft. Mustapha is somewhat short for a safety standing at about 5'10 but he has a large frame and is almost built like a linebacker with his muscular frame. He is a very good form tackler making him someone you can use in run support or the occasional safely blitz. One think that he needs to work on is actually picking and choosing when to be aggressive. He was able to get by on that in college but he can be faked out by play action or plays where the QB pump fakes or does a delay. These are coachable issues and I think Nick Sorensen and crew can make him the best version of himself which is to me a potential future pro bowler. Its clear to he serves as an insurance policy should the 49er be unable to retain Hufanga.

Performance: B-
Potential: B-
Overall: B-

George Odum - Veteran Safety and All Pro. Odum is a primarily a special teams player but he is good enough to spell any of the starters due to his 6 years of experience in the NFL. Any NFL coach knows you need guys like this on your team and that's why he got extended the next 2 season.

Performance: C+
Overall: C+

Unit Analysis:

Alot of teams try to get safeties that do no harm as opposed to getting risky yet rewarding prospects yet John Lynch has gotten safeties in the mid to late rounds. As a former safety his picks are well thought out and fit the system and I expect Sorensen to run a few 3 safety defensive plays because my not. I think this is the best safety room from top to bottom and if healthy they will impose respect and fear with opposing offenses.

Unit Grade: B+

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Special Teams

Taybor Pepper - Veteran long snapper. Not much to say. I don't think he's bobbled a snap since joining the team

Jake Moody - 2nd year kicker. Moody was drafted in the 3rd round (never draft kickers before the 5th). Was an elite kicker in college and that was supposed to translate into the pros. He completed 21-25 field goals including the Superbowl and while that seems pretty good one thing he needs to tweak is that his kicks have a tendency to sail to the right. Hopefully its something he worked on because one would argue it would have been wiser for a contender like the 49ers to get a veteran. But here is to hoping for a better year two.

Performance: B-
Potential: B-
Overall: B-

Mitch Wishnowsky - Mitch Wishnowky if he were to punt 5 times a game would give you two great punts, 2 bad punts and an average punt. Yet he is paid like an elite punter. I think he is fine. Could we upgrade maybe but clearly the special teams are basically going with the two great punts and feeling the defense is good enough to cover the not so good ones.

Performance: C
Potential: C
Overall: C

Unit Analysis:

For the last 2 season Brian Schneider has been the special teams coach for the 49ers and I think it is the weakest units on the team. I say this because the lack of attention to detail and the lack of investing seriously in the return game and constant small mistakes which add to big ones. For all of Kyle Shanahan's inconsistent play calling even in big moments. It's Special Teams which in my opinion has been the biggest problem and this is the lie of demarcation between the Patriots and Chiefs of the word and the 49ers. With that said perhaps the new kickoff rules mitigate this in our favor.

Unit Grade: C+

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO