Don Cheadle found a way to get on HBO without Ocean with No Sudden Move (7/1)

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I enjoyed the movie. Solid 7.5/10. Had to start the movie about 3-4 times because I kept getting interrupted about 15 mins in.

If you’ve watched “The Nice Guys” with Crowe and Gosling, then you’ll be able to understand the conspiracy with the Big 4 Auto makers at the time.

I feel this is definitely one of those movies where if you have even surface level insight on the background/context of the plot, it really helps in understanding and appreciating the plot. Kind of like “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”. You need some background info on the Manson Family to really appreciate the plot and the twist at the end.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
it was supposed to be Clooney apparently. 9 times out of 10 I’d take Damon over him but in this case he might’ve been better. I still fukked with Damon’s performance tho

Damon’s performance was superb even if short. Maybe I’m biased after seeing him in Ford vs. Ferrari when he was also playing an auto industry professional... :yeshrug:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
:ufdup: so you knew it was about catalytic converters and the big 4 the whole time? :camby:
From the moment Cheadle read from the document I actually knew it was about a catalytic converter. What he was reading was describing the function of a catalytic converter, and Benecio said it was about a "convertible Cadillac". I just didn't think about the implications of it in the 50's until they brought it home when discussing pollution in LA.
Yea so why cut a deal with Bill Duke at all? Don Cheadle’s survival depended on Hamm taking that deal and I can’t think of any reason for him to do so (other than it was a plot device to save Don)
I just watched this today. Bill Duke actually explained it when he gave him the options. The optics of arresting a black man for 3 murders of white men, including a mob boss, in a city that has a extremely volatile race and segregation problem in the 50's, especially involving the police could cause an explosion in the city. Instead of dealing with the potential of that powder keg going off they could take care of it with some street Justice that noone would have any objections to on either side. Plus the money was a little sweetener, or so Watkins thought. Turns out the money didn't matter at all, but nobody wanted a potential race riot on their hands, as they saw about 15 years later, so that was the real motivation to let him take Goynes.

Last edited: