Doja Cat's first week sales of her new album: 55K

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't think it mattered tho. If she had hits people would listen. I think this is one of those major label records where the label tries and tries to reason with a difficult artist before saying "ok fine, we'll do it your way." No features, limited pop appeal...it was obvious it was gonna struggle. From here she gets to decide what she wants. Do you want to do the songs the label wants you to do, or do you want to bomb out and go back to being a troll artist who can't afford the best coke in LA. I'm always gonna respect artists who go against the grain but I'm not sure I can here because this seems more about self destruction than artistic principle. This isn't Kendrick dropping TPAB instead of a commercial followup. Or Solange doing what she did instead of the thot anthems fans wanted. Instead this is...well, what I thought might happen to SZA. A frustrated, mentally shot major label artist just setting herself on fire because she's not getting her way enough.
Interesting take. This album definitely exists in a weird space between what we perceive to be the music she wanted to make all along, and the music she felt forced to make and trashed.

Both are present on here.

Overall I think she stretched and showed she has more talent than some might expect, but was it ever about talent for her and did she ruin a potentially great thing by shytting all over it?

Someone like Taylor Swift can still bring out the old label-driven early hits for adoring fans who want to hear it. Doja is about to go on tour and play the hit records she shat on yet brags about making? Seems like a weird space to be in with your fans

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

bumped up to 70k as of today
Label put in the call

click-farm-jpg.webp

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
I feel too old these days of what is considered a success for album sale, I remember 55k being a super flop back in the day.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Don't think it has anything to do with her "shytting" on her fans. Her last two albums were just kinda mid. And people stopped checking for her. She went away from the sound who got her the cult following. With this album she went back to what she does best. And I think the album will have strong staying power because of it. It'll be a gradual rise.