Doggie Diamonds - "Afrobeats Is Annoying And Trying To Replace Hip Hop! Enough Already!"

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Mind you, other metro areas do not have sizeable carribbean black populations....so your mainstream radio stations trends aren't indicative of the rest of the country.

Any major city with a decent black population has had carribean music spots.... but this afrobeats shyt is not native, and just slid in the door like it's something Black Americans made hot. So i get why people aint rocking with how it's on the radio.

I don't wanna hear that musty ass shyt tho.
Ppl aren’t used to the rhythms. It’s a different vibe from the hip-hop or RnB paradigm. I don’t know why it’s hard for ppl to admit this. :dead:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Afrobeats is no threat lol. Why this thread continue to get made? Its less than 1% of American music consumption and none of the big name artist sell more than 20k first week.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Ah yes, remember when a group of weirdos on the internet (and washed up celebs/former rappers/etc) were claiming hip hop was being replaced, was no longer a dominant genre, labels were conspiring to erase rap, radio was removing rap from spins, etc.
:mjlol:

A lot of people like Afrobeats. Not nearly as many people who like Latin music in the US but still, a good amount of people. Good for them...who cares. It has nothing to do with the music you like, so why obsess over it.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
More knowledg being kicked:

I didn't realize BurnaBoy doesn't even like to describe himself as an AfroBeats artist. He says his music is AfroFusion.

Interesting.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
good. tired of nikka this nikka that, stole yo bytch, i got bandz. shyt is washed, its about 40 years overdue for a new genre. same damn topic/song just worded different. id much prefer my son listen to afrobeats than drill/rap, excluding kendrick and nas.

This is formulaic pop music that is "just ethnic enough" to pass the "It's not boring like Taylor Swift" smell test.

Put your son on Some Fela Kuti instead.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Doggie comes off being angry and pretentious in every video I’ve seen from him.

Afrobeats will never replace Hip-Hop. Even if Afrobeats becomes the #1 sub genre, Hip-Hop won’t still be affected because it’s too global at this point. The state of hip hop haven’t been as strong than previous times but I can’t see it dying out like Disco.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
“Afro-beats” should really be seen as Afro-pop. Afro-beats is broader, but what people colloquially refer to as Afro-beats is Afro-pop.

Early Afro-pop was primarily Nigerian artists singing for a younger Nigerian/African crowd.

What really allowed the sound to go global was the large African diaspora in the UK, US and Canada. Once the diaspora came of age, the sound expanded because they finally had contemporary Afro-themed music that they could play at their events eg weddings, African Student Union events etc

Afro-pop is not competing with hip-hop/r&b, and it never will. It has its own lane, place and target demographic. When artists like Davido, Wizkid, Ruga etc tour in the US their shows are like 99% African/African Diaspora.

Not everyone is going to like the sound and that’s perfectly normal. Not everything is for everyone.

Last edited: