DOG OWNERS STEP IN...... Let's talk...

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston
My neighbors had a basenji, couldn't bark but howled like crazy. Looked like your average street dog from any 3rd world country, not sure why they paid a breeder for that instead of checking with a breed specific rescue group on pet finder.

I've raised several dogs and breeds, and I dogsat professionally as a side gig in college. My tips for you are to kennel train or use baby gates, be consistent, watch a lot of Cesar Milan to understand pack mentality and need for exercise, and use Petsmart to pick up an affordable clicker training course. My dogs sit, lay, stop, roll over and drop what's in their mouth on my hand signal all cause of clicker training. Good luck.

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain
I have a basenji/beagle mix that we got from a shelter 2 years ago. The house training was :rucksammy: bc we pretty much had to do every 2 hours when we first got her.

We trained her her name with special treats (turkey, turkey bacon, etc). In terms of order in training I'd say start with hard and work towards easy. If your dog ends up being anything like mine he or she will lose swag quick (tuck tail, whimper, etc) if it can't please you.

The order my dog was trained in was 1) Sit, 2) Down, 3) Stay, 4) Come, 5) Roll Over, 6) Shake Hands, 7) Paws Up.

I'm going to teach her my name and my wife's name soon, but I've been slacking on her training tbh. Also she hardly ever barks unless something ridiculous is happening. She howls like crazy if a siren goes off though. If it lasts a long time she will like at me like :carver: MAKE IT STOP!

Daps
Aww man..Is that a malamute or husky? I was nvr good as distinguishing pups.

As a kid, thats one of the 1st dogs I wanted next to a pit..thanks to the lost boys movie at the time, one of fav movies:steviej:

Free feed couple days- only at 15 minute intervals. 4x a day for pups.

Honestly, I would get your dog to trust you and obey simple commands before letting off the leash.

Doggy has to know letting of the leash is a privilege and not a given, so he has to listen to you at all times(based on retrievers and dogs known to run ofter prey at drop of dime..dont want him running in traffic after critters do we?)

I would get the "leave it" and "come" commands down before any off leash activities.

Your dog IS a runner..so run run ruuuun!!

Play fetch, ride bike, get a treadmill or your dog will be FULL of energy and finds other ways to release, which you wont like.:lolbron:

Yet if you want to do off leash activities you can play search where you hide a treat in a toy and the find it, then you praise 'em.(this how you start to train for pup for tracking)

It's a husky... Malamutes are a bit larger tho its harder to tell when they're young.

ill try some of these techniques and see how they go. Oh she's definitely a runner. That's why i asked about the off leash activities. I run about 3 miles a day with her...but that's nonstop. I'd really like to run to the nearest park get some games of fetch in and let her blow off some energy while I take a rest myself then jog home.. I also reward her with a sprint toward the end of our jog which tends to exhaust us both. I highly recommend it for anyone with a "work dog"

Aside from that she's a great dog...and I highly recommend them for anyone interested. Houses n backyards only though..don't try and have this monster in an appt

Oh and one more thing...the backyard is nothing but dirt lol... Are there any alternatives to grass? Gravel maybe?

Jayou Ayen

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The East Bay
Make sure u get all the neccesary shots/vacccinations for your puppy. Parvo is deadly. I've seen dogs die from that shyt.

This.

My brother got a pit for his birthday, and my sister found a stray like a week later, and brought him home. He was planning on getting the 1st dog his shots, but didn't do it right away. Dog #2 had Parvo, and gave it to #1 . Both those fukkers nearly died, and the vet bill was rozay size.
Don't fukk around with vaccinations.

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i have a 1.5 year old german shepherd :whoo:

she was a chick magnet when she was a puppy :win:

now she's fukkin huge and damn near 100 pounds and scares the sht out of all the ladies :sadcam: even got full grown men goin across the street to avoid her
she's not aggressive at all tho. she just looks like that insanity wolf meme

edit:

http://happypet.com/

^you will thank me later... :pacspit: the vet unless your dog breaks a bone or something. check the vaccine package prices here :noah: they're hella cheap compared to vet rape prices

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Been thinking about getting a dog in the near future, I'm figuring getting a mixed breed or something or just a rottweiler

VICVALLIN

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the first thing you need to do is puppy proof your home. put away cords and chargers you don't want chewed up. don't leave shoes, socks, or anything lying around. puppies explore the world with their noses and with their mouths so if its on the floor or eye level, its as good as destroyed. if your puppy chews on a shoe or something, don't react by hitting it because a puppy doesn't know the difference between a chew toy and a pair of jordans. if you really wanted them, you should've put them away. now, if you catch your puppy chewing on something it shouldn't, take it away, firmly, but calmly tell it, "no" and replace it with a toy it can chew on, they way it learns what is and isn't ok to chew on.

when giving a dog verbal commands try to keep it to about 2 or 3 syllables and have a hand gesture to go along with it because dogs don't speak, they read body language and facial expressions. for instance, when i want my dogs to leave a room i say, "out" and point to the exit. tone is important too. when i say my dogs' names in a stern voice they stop and sit. when i say it playfully with a smile on my face they run over ready to play.

edit: get a mutt. they're healthier because they don't have the genetic medical problems that many pure breed dogs have.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
My neighbors had a basenji, couldn't bark but howled like crazy. Looked like your average street dog from any 3rd world country, not sure why they paid a breeder for that instead of checking with a breed specific rescue group on pet finder.

I've raised several dogs and breeds, and I dogsat professionally as a side gig in college. My tips for you are to kennel train or use baby gates, be consistent, watch a lot of Cesar Milan to understand pack mentality and need for exercise, and use Petsmart to pick up an affordable clicker training course. My dogs sit, lay, stop, roll over and drop what's in their mouth on my hand signal all cause of clicker training. Good luck.

I might have to checkout petfinder... The thing is, this breed is susceptible to. Rare kidney disease so Atleast with a breeder I can check and see if it ran in the pup's bloodline. Damn this will be a tough decision.

Daps
When i potty trained my dog i would watch him very closely and when i caught him pissin i would yell no and take him outside to let him finish then pet him and say good boy. If i didnt catch him in the act id rub his nose in it and whoop his ass. Whenever he acted up or i didnt feel like watching him hed go in his kennel which he hated so he learned quick. Also invest in some out! Spray from walmart to use on accidents. It works like a charm ive gotten down and smelled the mess amd it leaves no smell or stain. Gets rid of that nasty dog smell in your house

I got my dog as an adult hes potty trained to a limit if we wait too long to let him out he goes in the house :why: and he always knows hes in trouble but is their anyway to do this in adulthood or is it too late :to:

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I might have to checkout petfinder... The thing is, this breed is susceptible to. Rare kidney disease so Atleast with a breeder I can check and see if it ran in the pup's bloodline. Damn this will be a tough decision.

any reason why u want that type of dog