Does Elden Ring, Sekiro & Bloodborne Even Count As "New IPs"?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The gameplay is the same.

Just like final Fantasy games have all that “new” stuff but are still considered the same IP
If I was shown blind combat footage of Soulsborne games I couldn't tell them apart.

If I was shown battle footage from Final Fantasy VII, X, XII, XIII, and XV I might not associate them with the same series. Some of them are turn based some ATB and some real time.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If I was shown blind combat footage of Soulsborne games I couldn't tell them apart.

If I was shown battle footage from Final Fantasy VII, X, XII, XIII, and XV I might not associate them with the same series. Some of them are turn based some ATB and some real time.

Thats the point, this is a shallow observation, if you played through the game you would understand how different they are.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

I know and we still don’t consider each new FF game a “new ip”

I like From, but we can be honest and say they’ve been making the same game for like 10 years now:manny:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Thats the point, this is a shallow observation, if you played through the game you would understand how different they are.
I think the point of this thread is if you look at those games they all look like sequels to each other rather than different series.

Obviously they are different takes on a formula that a From Software fan would easily explain but they all look like they start from the same base game and don't stray too far from it.

It looks more like the difference between SMT and Persona battle systems. Persona is a different spin on SMT but it's a derivative.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think the point of this thread is if you look at those games they all look like sequels to each other rather than different series.

Obviously they are different takes on a formula that a From Software fan would easily explain but they all look like they start from the same base game and don't stray too far from it.

It looks more like the difference between SMT and Persona battle systems. Persona is a different spin on SMT but it's a derivative.

People who don’t play jrpgs will say the same about all those games

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People who don’t play jrpgs will say the same about all those games
Is a spinoff really a new IP? It's closer to a sequel than something new. If someone said Persona and SMT looked like the same thing I'd have to agree with them even knowing that if you play they they go in different directions. They have far more in common than not.

I'd say the Soulsborne games seem that way. If you don't like Dark Souls would you be partial to liking Demon Souls, Bloodborne, or Elden Ring?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Is a spinoff really a new IP? It's closer to a sequel than something new. If someone said Persona and SMT looked like the same thing I'd have to agree with them even knowing that if you play they they go in different directions. They have far more in common than not.

I'd say the Soulsborne games seem that way. If you don't like Dark Souls would you be partial to liking Demon Souls, Bloodborne, or Elden Ring?

You probably wouldn’t like code vein, the surge, nioh, mortal shell and a bunch of other difficult action games either

They are not all the same IP

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
You probably wouldn’t like code vein, the surge, nioh, mortal shell and a bunch of other difficult action games either

To be fair the word 'soulslike' exist for a reason, IP is a bad way to put it , they're not pallet swaps but they are games made with the same design philosophy and combat system. They're not just difficult action games every game you listed was created by people directly looking to build on the fromsoft formula.

So most of these games kinda are spin offs and sequels:jbhmm:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Those From Software games are treated even by fans as if they're all in the same series hence the name Soulsborne. They just made up a name to tie them together because technically they aren't the same IP but they also aren't that far apart.