Does death change you as a person?

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
I'm getting older (40) and I've never had someone seriously close to me pass away. I was thinking, when someone close to you dies, do you as a person change? Or do you just keep their memory alive and move on with the life.

Does it change you mentally?
Does it makes you more cautious?
More mature?
It changes you physically and mentally. You decompose and you are no longer conscious:dahell:

Shoulda tried to make your point @Morethan1 times. @YaThreadFloppedB!

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Yes. My dad died. I honestly think it has made me a better person although it was tough at first. It helped me come to terms with my responsibilities as a man and made me realize I was wasting time. Moved across the country a few months after.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
When I was a sophomore in college, a close friend was killed by a stray bullet at 18 years old. It made me realize the fragility of life…also made me a bit more fearless. Not sure if I would have upped and moved across the country a few years later if that hadn’t happened.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I'm getting older (40) and I've never had someone seriously close to me pass away. I was thinking, when someone close to you dies, do you as a person change? Or do you just keep their memory alive and move on with the life.

More mature?
Yes, especially if it happens very early in life and it's a close relative. First taste was when my cousin died when I was 17. We shared the same birthday. That one was rough. But at 26 I lost my father and let me tell you, losing a parent is the worst feeling (probably slightly below losing a child, but I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know). You're never the same after that, again, especially if it happens when you're young.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I lost one of my closest friends suddenly back in 2021, I believe he died in his sleep but we never got the cause of his death. He was 32.

I was texting him on Saturday and by Monday I realized we hadn't heard from him.....by Tuesday his brother found him dead in his house......just unreal situaiton. There's not a day that goes by where I don't wonder what he'd be doing or don't miss him. He was a big part of my current success and literally guided me on what I'm doing currently.

I already felt like I was in a race against time to accomplish what I needed to accomplish so that didn't change.

I was always spiritual but it made me a bit more spiritual. I fell into a rabbit hole of reading books about what happens after you die. I remember getting a reading from a medium and asked him why he passed and a bookshelf literally started shaking and fell in my house. I've read and learned about Near Death Experiences and really started digging into to what happens after you die, why we're here, our purpose, reincarnation.

It's actually kinda made me more accepting of death and I truly believe in reincarnation these days. I believe some shyt just predestined and we choose our parents and our roles before birth.

I believe we're all here just to gain different experiences for our soul's growth, to aid in other people's growth and development, sometimes for a longer or shorter period of time.......and we do it again and again until we reach our highest levels and get closer to GOD.

That's made death a lot more comforting to me......knowing that it's not over even when it's over.

Last edited:

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It definitely changes you. I was 18 when my sister and 9 year old niece died in a car accident. She also had an 11 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. Watching my mother grieve was the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with. You’ll always feel an emptiness that can’t be filled.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
i know for me depending on the person... i find myself doing stuff they useta do ...i picked up my great grandfather and grandfather habits and attitude....

Smokin Rider

I been official
Daps
Reppin
Seattle SuperChronic

More mature?
I'm 35 and in the same boat and don't like to speak on it as I'm grateful I still have the close folks in my life but I have been around a lot of death. Recently, I was around my boss when her mom died and she got that phone call when we were working on a project together, that scream out of nowhere still sends shivers down my spine when I think of it, I told her go be with family and spent all day on the project myself, then 6 months later I was around my good friend when the same thing happened and I never seen the homie cry. Spooked me because I am getting older which means my momma is too, and sister and brother. I'm grateful for the time I have and make sure to call her a few times a week because you never know when. I feel like even my childhood seems like it died when Kobe died and all of my idols as a kid either died or are looking washed, which makes me feel like I'm getting washed and I'll probably be gone before I know it. Life seems long until you start getting older, now it feels like a speeding car going down a hill and the brakes aren't working anymore.

The weird thing is I don't fear myself dying at all, but I fear my closest ones dying and dying old and alone

Smokin Rider

I been official
Daps
Reppin
Seattle SuperChronic
At the end of the day we dont know what's next, or if there is a next.

One sobering fact for me when I think deep about it, is that it's a natural thing that we'll all eventually face :yeshrug:. It's a thought/event you will never face alone, all I know is that once it happens, I or whoever I love that experiences it will finally be at peace. Because this world can be hell and unforgiving.

It does, and I don't know or don't think about what happens when we pass, but I recall talking to my neighbor from chiraq, who been thru more than I have as far as death goes and we were talking about death and afterlife and we both came to the hope that there is a spiritual realm of some sort where we can be with our loves ones but I was fried and brought up the fact of dementia and I shook both of us on the spot because I said "damn breh, does your spirit move on if dementia exists, people forget who they are or who their family is" he was like "....nah breh, nah fukk this, this is too deep let's just play 2k" :russ: