Does death change you as a person?

Heimdall

Pro
Daps
I think so. Both of my parents have died in recent years (#OrphanGang) and I feel... weathered, that's the first word that comes to mind. I have always been quite serious, but now I am even more so, most of the time.

I have already dealt with a lot compared to many, but this was a rather heavy additional load, particularly as now as adults you are expected to keep everything going while adapting to these changes.

That said, I think I am now more intentional with my time, or at least I am trying to be. It is the most valuable thing I have, after all (is what I tell myself).

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
At the end of the day we dont know what's next, or if there is a next.

One sobering fact for me when I think deep about it, is that it's a natural thing that we'll all eventually face :yeshrug:. It's a thought/event you will never face alone, all I know is that once it happens, I or whoever I love that experiences it will finally be at peace. Because this world can be hell and unforgiving.

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
Yes. Made me appreciate more time with people I love than anything else.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
-Death CAN change you but it's not a guarantee. It depends on who the person is, how it happens, what your beliefs are, etc. After a few Deaths I accepted she's the inevitable & it's the circumstances that really matter.

-I don't look at my own mortality, value time & life, look for closure or any of that other sentimental shyt. I write a song & immortalize them in memory, what's done is done.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I'm getting older (40) and I've never had someone seriously close to me pass away. I was thinking, when someone close to you dies, do you as a person change? Or do you just keep their memory alive and move on with the life.

Does it change you mentally?
Does it makes you more cautious?
More mature?
I was literally texting my best friend the moment he passed away. He just stop responding and I was wondering why. The next day his wife called and said they had found him dead in his living room. This lead me to depression and brought my own mortality into the forefront of my life. I try my hardest now to enjoy every moment. I don't even look at long term goals anymore. I just try to enjoy moments and appreciate the ones that I am happy in. The smallest things will make me smile ear to ear now.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Lost my sister when I was 17. She was 16.

Yea, it changed me. I was angry back then. Still angry now, but have softened up a bit. I have also been mentally preparing for my parents to go. I don’t want to go through what I went through when my sister passed, and I know it’s going to hurt when I lose them. I lost my grandmother during covid. That one hurt. She was super big in my life. Her along with my grandfather raised me during the summers. She took care of me, and spoke life into me. Always the first to hug me after everyone of my major accomplishments. Never let me quit. I’m still mad at myself because she wanted 2 things from me, and I was only able to give her one. She wanted to see me walk down that aisle, and she wanted great grandkids. I gave her a great grand baby. I won’t have her at my future wedding. I get upset with myself thinking of that

Last edited:

Timbs

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I think the death of some of my friends fukked me up in a way I wasn't able to self reflect on fully beyond losing people I hung out with and talked to consistently. But one I feel like I blocked out was because she was murdered at the beginning of the pandemic. Can't even imagine the death of a parent or someone that was your everything.

Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm getting older (40) and I've never had someone seriously close to me pass away. I was thinking, when someone close to you dies, do you as a person change? Or do you just keep their memory alive and move on with the life.

Does it change you mentally?
Does it makes you more cautious?
More mature?
Death does change you as a person. How it changes you is up to you. I'm 39. My father passed a few years ago and it didn't seem real. I felt a lot of confused emotions on the inside that eventually came out. Some in healthy ways, some in not so healthy ways. Therapy helped a ton. A great family helped too. However 2 things really helped me process grief better and opened a whole new world for me. One was the statement "we will never know life and death at the same time". For me it released this inherent fear many of us have over death related to ourselves and those close to us. Why drive yourself up a wall in this current life over what's on the other side of that door? Live in the NOW. It's literally the only moment that exist. The other thing that helped me was being out in nature much more. Hiking and going for walks everyday. Paying attention to the smell of trees, the way that animals exist, watching the seasons change. This cycle of life/death is the most natural thing yet we frame it as unnatural in our response to it. Our self awareness has crippled many of us to where we do not want to embrace the inevitable. When I began having this acceptance and embracing what nature is, the grief did not feel as heavy. I actually felt like I had a renewed since of life. Almost invincible. Life is not as serious as we make it, it is literally just being, so be present. Focus on what control you DO have, not the control you don't have.

I still tear up sometimes when I think about my Dad, but I just let it flow. I can feel his energy in so many ways where I know he is still here, just in a form I can't explain. The hurt is ever present, but much more subdued as it is a natural part of life. We are built to flourish even with it.

Check out the book, "The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative" by Florence Williams. I listened to it as I went on walks and it helped frame how important our relationship with nature is.

Lastly, for me fukking with shrooms gave me a wider lense on life. Been reading about psychedelics too and amazed at how proper usage can really open up your mind to what life really is.

I feel like I may have rambled a bit but I hope this provides a solid perspective.