Essential Documentary Thread

Tesseract

Dis-Info Agent Killer
Daps
Reppin
Xanth
Anothergirl said:
anybody know a good doc on the events of Chernobyl? i've seen "Chernobyl Heart" which deals with the after effects... but i'm looking for something that breaks down the days leading up to and day of the disaster...

It’s a documentary which analyzes the Thursday 26th April 1986 that became a momentous date in modern history, when one of the reactors at the Chernobyl nuclear power station in northern Ukraine, exploded. It was the most significant reactor failure in the history of nuclear power, a Maximum Credible Accident (MCA). The plant, just 20 km away from the town center, was made up of four reactor units each generating an output of 1,000 megawatts. The reactor in question exploded due to operational errors and inadequate safety measures and the meltdown was directly linked to routine testing on the reactor unit’s turbine generators.

The test required reactor activity and the thermal reactor output to be run down to a lower level. During the procedure, however, the reactor plummeted to an unexpectedly low and unstable level of activity. At this point, it should have been shut down; as the operators chose to continue with the test, the events subsequently proved to be catastrophic.

More than 200 people died or were seriously injured by radiation exposure immediately after the explosion. 161,000 people had to be evacuated from a 30 kilometer radius of the reactor and 25,000 square km of land were contaminated. As time went on millions of people suffered radiation related health problems such as leukemia and thyroid cancer and around 4,000 people have died as a result of the long-term effects of the accident.

Nobody was prepared for such a crisis. For the next seven months, 500,000 men will wage hand-to-hand combat with an invisible enemy – a ruthless battle that has gone unsung, which claimed thousands of unnamed and now almost forgotten heroes. Yet, it is thanks to these men that the worst was avoided; a second explosion, ten times more powerful than Hiroshima which would have wiped out more than half of Europe. This was kept secret for twenty years by the Soviets and the West alike.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
:mindblown::manny::hamster::snoop::russ: north korean propaganda
so i'm watching this documentary right now and you know what...
It's not to far off point.
At least in the criticism of how brainwashed most of america is. I don't know if there is a point out side of we're all crazy as i'm not done with it yet but if the point of this documentary is to show how hypocritical the US is then well, i can't argue to hard against MOST of what they say.

:shrug:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
At least in the criticism of how brainwashed most of america is. I don't know if there is a point out side of we're all crazy as i'm not done with it yet but if the point of this documentary is to show how hypocritical the US is then well, i can't argue to hard against MOST of what they say.

You do know there was a big thread on this were emotions got hurt........

usopp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
syrup village

i'm not disagreein with you. i'm just sayin its a propaganda film about propaganda :mj::steviej:

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
You do know there was a big thread on this were emotions got hurt........

I could see that happening.
Truth hurts though, especially when it comes from somebody doing dirt worse than your own, still though i'm saying about 95% of what they are saying is truth...particularly on how we're basically bought and sold via marketing.

I recently pointed out to my two boys (ages 7-9) how and why commercials and how EVERYTHING is an attempt to sell them something, now they point shyt out all the time like, "look dad they have kids on that picture so that i'll think it's cool"
me: :jawalrus:

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
here go a documentary for u...

this aint a hbo production so dont expect that same quality. The story is powerful tho so if thats what youre interested in then watch it

Imma preface it, a few years ago somebody ran down on Fred (the guy in the video) and shot him in the back of the head with a .45. Prior to being shot he was a body builder

Pre-shooting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=R5ScBhhFavA

His mental strength is amazing.....

watch the video and see for yourself tho

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRLOGzPTdE&list=UUChbW_8_rLGUTCDClS4EN_g&index=5&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beaRh8KyEj8&feature=relmfuanyway[/ame] the rest 9f