Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Confused...The shining is the biggest part of Doctor Sleep. Much more so than the movie The Shining actually.
Unless you mean The Shining in reference to the movie and not telepathic abilities.
I'm talking about the actual Overlook still standing and being a set piece in this instead of the book where it was torn down. And the callbacks to the Kubrick film.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doctor Sleep is based on the 2013 horror novel of the same name by Stephen King. The novel is a sequel to King's 1977 novel The Shining. The 1977 novel was adapted into a 1980 horror film of the same name by director Stanley Kubrick. King was critical of Kubrick's film adaptation to the point of writing and executive-producing a new adaptation with the 1997 television miniseries.[14] While the film Doctor Sleep is intended to be a direct adaptation of the 2013 sequel novel, director Mike Flanagan said Doctor Sleep would still "acknowledge Kubrick's The Shining in some way".[15] Flanagan said, "It is an adaptation of the novel Doctor Sleep, which is Stephen King's sequel to his novel, The Shining. But this also exists very much in the same cinematic universe that Kubrick established in his adaptation of The Shining." He explained working with both The Shiningnovel and film, "Reconciling those three, at times very different, sources has been the most challenging and thrilling part of this creatively for us." He first visited the novel then had a conversation with King to work out adapting both sources. As part of the process, Flanagan recreated flashback scenes from The Shining with the exception of the elevator lobby scene where blood poured out of an elevator.

Gonna be interesting to see how Flanagan pulls this off. I hope it doesn't end up being a situation where he tries so hard to stay true to both Kubrick and King's visions that it ends up being a mess. Kubrick's Shining and King's Shining are completely different from one another regarding their tone and the messages they were trying to convey.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@Nicole0416 are we in this one at least or nah:to:
:mjcry: You've been saying that since the Halloween release. That's however many months and 3 movies later, we can try- third time is a charm :yes:
satoshi-arakawa-model.gif

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
[Interview] Eight New Things We’ve Learned About ‘Doctor Sleep’!
interesting background on the movie. @MartyMcFly @The Chief , answers to the questions about the horror concept of this movie:

Doctor Sleep Was Not Made Like a Modern Horror Movie
The Shining may be a classic horror movie, but some younger audiences might not fall under its spell, since trends of horror have evolved in the ensuing decades. It’s a concern that Flanagan thinks he has an answer to.

“It’s interesting because I’ve had that experience where I’ve shown someone The Shining and they don’t see what the fuss is about,” the director explained.

“I think one of the solutions to that for us was we never approached this movie as a horror movie. We always wanted to try to come at it from a different side. We’ve done that for a lot of our things but I don’t know if it’s ever been more true than with this one,” he continued. “It has horrific elements, absolutely, but one of the things that we were trying to be very careful to do is not to create the expectation that this is a modern horror movie in the way that people expect it.

“One of the questions that I would ask,” Flanagan added, “when we were developing the project and when we were talking about the metered expectations audiences have about, in particular, jump scares and startles and the pacing of those, which we’re utterly uninterested in this film, [was] I would say, ‘What’s your favorite jump scare in The Shining?’”

“There isn’t one. The same is true here. We used a lot of the lessons that Kubrick taught us about how to do a psychological thriller, a supernatural thriller, in a way that is more about suffocating atmosphere and tension than it ever is about the kind of traditional scares as we understand them today,” Flanagan concluded. “So in light of that, we have been very careful not to make the kind of movie that those audiences would expect.”"

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gonna be interesting to see how Flanagan pulls this off. I hope it doesn't end up being a situation where he tries so hard to stay true to both Kubrick and King's visions that it ends up being a mess. Kubrick's Shining and King's Shining are completely different from one another regarding their tone and the messages they were trying to convey.
here's the Q&A from Flanagan-
Given the differences between Stephen King’s classic novel and Stanley Kubrick’s classic film, an adaptation of King’s “Doctor Sleep” would presumably have to make a choice: follow the books, or follow the film. Right?

Not necessarily.

“It’s the most common question we’ve had since the project was announced, and the question that we couldn’t really answer until we had material to present,” Mike Flanagan said. “Because the answer is really complicated. The answer to all of those questions for us has always been, ‘yes’.”

“It is an adaptation of the novel ‘Doctor Sleep’, which is Stephen King’s sequel to his novel ‘The Shining’. But this also exists very much in the same cinematic universe that Kubrick established in his adaptation of The Shining,” Flanagan continued, “and reconciling those three, at times very different sources has been kind of the most challenging and thrilling part of this creatively, for us.”

“First and foremost the movie is kind of its own thing,” Trevor Macy added. “And has been embraced by the Kubrick estate and by King as such. But in a very real sense we’re standing on the shoulders of literary and cinematic giants.”

“Which has been, you know, no pressure,” Flanagan joked....
[Interview] Eight New Things We’ve Learned About ‘Doctor Sleep’!