Doctor Calls CPS after Couple Gives Birth At Home and Baby Gets Sick...Whose Side You On?

Red11

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I agree with the parents.

Newborn jaundice:

Newborn jaundice is when a baby’s skin and eyes turn yellow from too much bilirubin. It usually resolves as their liver matures and they start feeding, but if it persists, there may be another cause.

In most cases, jaundice (also called hyperbilirubinemia) in newborns will disappear within 2 to 3 weeks.

"Temecia and her husband, Rodney Jackson, said they were following their midwife's care protocol for their baby's jaundice, which was to care for her at home rather than admit her to the hospital."

"After a routine doctor's visit, the couple alleges their child's pediatrician called Dallas Child Protective Services (CPS) because the parents were going to continue to follow their midwife's guidance. Days later, Desoto police officers and CPS agents arrived at the couple's home, demanding they turn their daughter over to authorities."

"Temecia Jackson says the officers arrested her husband, took his keys, used them to enter their residence and took Mila from her mother's arms"

Black women and hospital births:
"From 2019 to 2020, more people of color chose to give birth outside a hospital setting, according to a 2022 report released by the National Partnership for Women and Families (NPWF), a nonpartisan and nonprofit advocacy organization that works on public policies and education about women and families.

The increase was greatest among Black parents (30%), followed by Indigenous (26%) and Latinx (24%) parents — likely a response to "the higher risk of maternal mortality and morbidity they face and the impact of discrimination and structural racism in hospitals that result in lower-quality care," the report said."

"Black people are three times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In Texas, at least 118 women died and nearly 200 children were left without a mother in 2019, according the state's 2022 Maternal Mortality and Morbidity Review Committee's biennial report."

"Discrimination contributed to 12% of pregnancy-related deaths in 2019, according to the same report."

:francis:
In most cases...can we assume it was possible that it was one of those "other cases".

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Know better do better. We don't just pray over that Staph infection anymore or put some green onions/parsley on it.
PEOPLE DIED. BABIES DIED.
:jbhmm:

Why do we use modern medicine that’s cut from real organic traditional medicine. These same modern medicine kill us physically and financially.

Red11

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I'd wonder at the kind of jaundice, since some are a problem required UV lamps and all that while others are physiologic or clear up on their own. The fact that the affidavit had the wrong name and the manner in which the doctor went about this is all wrong though. He's supposed to set up a meeting with the parents to discuss this instead of the strong-arm tactic he pulled (based on the video). I honestly think he fukked up and was trying to cover his ass in the most ludicrous way possible. Most often when parents refuse, they do so because they think there is a danger in the treatment, instead of being on some other shyt, and thus you have to address those concerns.

That said, I understand people's reluctance. The medical field is less than kind with black people at times. That said, I think the parents should have sought a second opinion from an actual doctor to see if there was any validity to his claims.

tl;dr The child probably needed treatment, but the doctor went about this all wrong and is an idiot for it.
Possibly. For CPS to show up they missed appts.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good god. It can develop AFTER leaving the hospital as well.

Guidelines for Phototherapy

So the doctor diagnosed this at the couple’s house? What am I getting wrong. They brought the baby on for the pediatrician to examine him/her and the pediatrician signed off on a clean bill of health. Why wasn’t the baby’s Bilirubin levels mentioned then? Or were the mentioned and I overlooked it?

Red11

Pro
Supporter
Daps
So the doctor diagnosed this at the couple’s house? What am I getting wrong. They brought the baby on for the pediatrician to examine him/her and the pediatrician signed off on a clean bill of health. Why wasn’t the baby’s Bilirubin levels mentioned then? Or were the mentioned and I overlooked it?
Often the pediatrician does a test. If its borderline you return to the pediatrician for another test. Parents are instructed they need to return. They didn't believe that the kid needed another poke so they called the Midwife who said put the kid in sunlight.

Red11

Pro
Supporter
Daps
If I’m not mistaken, my nephew’s test results came back quick, like in an hour. If the doc had results still pending, how could he sign off on a clean bill of health
its done a few times in BAD cases where you have to measurements every 12 hours under lights.