Do You Think FF16 Will Be A Sales Flop?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I can't see it. The hype for this game around the places I've seen like Reddit, Tiktok, Twitter, etc. leads me to believe this shyt launching on release day.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
3.5 mil shipped first week, minimum. More if its a 90+

This is the return of final fantasy, buckle up

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Man its crazy that I play more tales games now than tales games and FF was what turned me into a turned based fan as kid. Ever since they changed to this action style turn based system I just can't get with it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
also the final fantasy series was never as big as people think. Outside of like 7 and 10 (and now 15) they haven’t really done 10m+ in sales and it took those games years to do that.

I’ve seen a lot of people that have never played FF before say they want XVI, or they started with FF7 Remake. A lot of purist complain that its action-based now but thats exactly why its going to be a lot of peoples first FF game. Classic final fantasy is very offputting to a lot of casual gamers

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
also the final fantasy series was never as big as people think. Outside of like 7 and 10 (and now 15) they haven’t really done 10m+ in sales and it took those games years to do that.

I’ve seen a lot of people that have never played FF before say they want XVI, or they started with FF7 Remake. A lot of purist complain that its action-based now but thats exactly why its going to be a lot of peoples first FF game. Classic final fantasy is very offputting to a lot of casual gamers
I get that but imo the tales series still does this better than FF. I understand they need casuals but the way its implemented to me is wack.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I get that but imo the tales series still does this better than FF. I understand they need casuals but the way its implemented to me is wack.

if you prefer that theres nothing i can say to convince you otherwise but I’ve been turned off by the tales of series for years now. I just can’t get into those type of jrpgs anymore

and hearing about MTX being in Arise tuned me off from it even more

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
It’s definitely intriguing to me. This is likely the least whimsical, colorful, and goofy FF I’ve ever seen. Most FFs start off as a fun adventure and then over time turns into some epic worldly battle. This seems dark from the jump. But honestly outside of Nintendo, the biggest sellers are M rated games. Interested to see how it plays out.

I was iffy at first but now I’m sold. Music alone can carry a JRPG for me so I’m easy to please. I do wish there were more armor/gear customization though. Witcher 3 added so many hours to the gameplay just by doing those things well. But that’s just a nitpick.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
if you prefer that theres nothing i can say to convince you otherwise but I’ve been turned off by the tales of series for years now. I just can’t get into those type of jrpgs anymore

and hearing about MTX being in Arise tuned me off from it even more
This is a clear misconception. It's literally DLC to make the game easier on the player. You literally can buy them to make it easier or just ignore it.

We are talking about for a single player game. Where you can change the difficulty to your liking. Having trouble with a boss switch down from hard to normal.

The Tales series is known for a very adaptability difficulty. You are ENCOURAGED to change the difficulty to your liking as many times as you desire. You want to get better rewards in combat you can increase the difficulty. Feeling tired of the combat and just want to play for the story? You can turn down the difficulty.

I fukking hate Gaming Journalism. This has been a thing in every modern Tales game.

The only time microtransactions are an issue in single player games if they are balanced around them, which Arise isn't one of them.

I do wish there was a microtransaction to have a competent story in Arise.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a clear misconception. It's literally DLC to make the game easier on the player. You literally can buy them to make it easier or just ignore it.

We are talking about for a single player game. Where you can change the difficulty to your liking. Having trouble with a boss switch down from hard to normal.

The Tales series is known for a very adaptability difficulty. You are ENCOURAGED to change the difficulty to your liking as many times as you desire. You want to get better rewards in combat you can increase the difficulty. Feeling tired of the combat and just want to play for the story? You can turn down the difficulty.

I fukking hate Gaming Journalism. This has been a thing in every modern Tales game.

The only time microtransactions are an issue in single player games if they are balanced around them, which Arise isn't one of them.

I honestly didn’t even find out about that from gaming sites/twitter, i found out about it reading through the thread here

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I honestly didn’t even find out about that from gaming sites/twitter, i found out about it reading through the thread here
Oh I see. I figured since there is a bunch of articles when I look into it just now.

But anyway it is a clear misconception.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

i'd only add that it crossed the line by keeping *skills and abilities* locked behind a pay wall - which was definitely a new step for Tales. I've already had a whole rant on how they changed the healing system entirely to force an attritional challenge on players too. But going from percentage based healing to flat amounts changed how the economy worked as well. Suddenly, those MTX items become more attractive as a result.

I do think that the difficulty discussion is lost on many though when it comes to Tales.