Do you still buy games on disc?

?

• Total voters

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
what's the carbon footprint of a physical game? has anyone stopped to think about the trees?

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Well for one physical can be lent to friends or family. And my snes and nes collection is worth money. A digital collection is practically worthless. Older physical games appreciate in value.

Publishers at any moment can remove a game from the digital marketplace. Then what? It’s gone. You’re leaving yourself up to the mercy of publishers.

There are numerous real advantages to physical over digital.

What’s the advantages of digital? Being too lazy to get up?
Publishers removing a game almost never happens but it does. I pointed out the mvc3 issue. But you'd more likely lose or damage a physical disc before a publisher removes it. And make no mistake, your physical disc is just as worthless as a digital one. There's literally .75 cent trade-in values on $60 games in some cases.

The marketplace that you don't value is exactly what makes digital valuable. Years after your system is outdated and obsolete, that same marketplace will likely maintain your digital library. We've got Xbox games almost 20yrs and 3 consoles after they've come out digitally available. My original games are long game since then. It has benefits well beyond "being too lazy to get up".

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Digital works on PC because the old games are compatible with whatever hardware you have. 20 years from now if you wanna go back and play an old PC game you can still do that digitally. 20 years from now your console's marketplace won't be available anymore and you won't be able to redownload those games. 13 years after the Wii was released Nintendo is pulling the plug on it's marketplace.

My problem is the game they ship to you on a disc is incomplete now. In many cases some of the features aren't even on the disc and require 2GB day one patches to get. When these console marketplaces go down many of these physical copies won't be the full games.

Basically whether or not we like it games are digital now. The disc that used to run full games now install partial games to the hard drive and require downloads to have the full game.
I should have waited to reply to dude. You hit everything on the head already.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Publishers removing a game almost never happens but it does. I pointed out the mvc3 issue. But you'd more likely lose or damage a physical disc before a publisher removes it. And make no mistake, your physical disc is just as worthless as a digital one. There's literally .75 cent trade-in values on $60 games in some cases.

The marketplace that you don't value is exactly what makes digital valuable. Years after your system is outdated and obsolete, that same marketplace will likely maintain your digital library. We've got Xbox games almost 20yrs and 3 consoles after they've come out digitally available. My original games are long game since then. It has benefits well beyond "being too lazy to get up".
You’ve got a very small fraction of those games available digitally.

There is a metric ton of games that are not available digital and likely never will be. There is literally thousands of games that will never be available digitally because of licensing issues. Again, you are at the mercy of publishers.

As for discs getting damaged,sure. You could also get your account banned and lose access to every digital game you ever bought.

I have games worth over a $100 in my collection. And 75 cents is still better than absolutely nothing.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
will modern games really have any value as 'collectors items' in the future? most of these consoles and games require patches, firmware updates, etc, to function properly

Don Julio.

Banned
Daps
You would have to be a fool to go digital on a Nintendo system.

The games will still be on your account to be downloaded on another Switch.

Saved game data on the other hand....
gh0fW8O.png

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
I'm 95% digital, sometimes I buy games on disc that I know my son might want to play as he has his own PS4.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yup, for console games. If there is a collector's edition of a multiplat, I'll buy the digital off steam and then double-dip and buy the collector's edition of the PS4 or X1 version (collector's editions for the PC version of the game are like digital only. fukk I want that for? I want the goddamn statue :manny:)

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I appreciate all the responses, but those claiming that this poll is a good indicator as to what is going on with the rest of the industry is wrong. Google it :yeshrug:

I just wanted to see what people on here are doing these days.