Do you let your kids quit things?

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
Before a kid signs up for an organized activity, you've played sports with them or seen them play against other kids.
Can see how competitive they are, and what drives them. See how they handle winning and losing.

When they sign up for camps, teams, and leagues you can give them encouragement and support, but how they respond to competition will teach them about life.
Very true. Even dance competitions for girls are good character building. It teaches winning/losing gracefully, teamwork, and just hard work period. Team sports are great for kids. No matter the type.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Force your kids to play sports brehs. :mjlol:

If the kid loves the sport he will miss parties for practice. Speaking from experience.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
My son was playing travel basketball with an upcoming team, but he decided he didn't want to play any more. A few years later he tried to jump back in the pond, but it was too late bc that old team was levels ahead of where he was, and it was a wrap. He's still got hoop dreams, but the kids he's competing with have been playing since elementary school. He's a HS freshman now smh

Edit - I say all of that to say sometimes we should make our kids stick with sports/activities that they a passion/talent for. Of course there are exigent circumstances, but them just not wanting to play any more shouldn't be an option

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My son was playing travel basketball with an upcoming team, but he decided he didn't want to play any more. A few years later he tried to jump back in the pond, but it was too late bc that old team was levels ahead of where he was, and it was a wrap. He's still got hoop dreams, but the kids he's competing with have been playing since elementary school. He's a HS freshman now smh
I'm not saying a kid should never stop anything.

I'm saying...dude, you started the season. You're gonna finish the season.

I don't understand why so many people think I'm wrong about this.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Nah, I don’t play that. Like you said, these extra curricular’s cost way too much money. You start it, you finish it.

My daughter does travel basketball and gymnastics. She tried soccer, and didn’t like it. She had to finish out the soccer season, though. Even outside of the money, give it a full chance. You might start liking it.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
You missed the point.
Forcing the kid to finish the season is a disservice to his teammates.

The money is already gone. Why continue to waste your time for the kid to go through the motions.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Most of these kids didn't grow playing baseball in the backyard, or basketball in the driveway, or whatever. Then are expected to last in an organized league

They never develop a love for the game itself.

Back in the day, seeing who could run the fastest during recess was fun.

Running sprints during PE sucked.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Forcing the kid to finish the season is a disservice to his teammates.

The money is already gone. Why continue to waste your time for the kid to go through the motions.
It's a credit to himself to see things through. It breeds character. In life you're going to have to do things you don't love doing. Life sucks sometimes. And sometimes, you learn something profound by going through the process.

And it's a service to his teammates because even though he might not feel his best, he's pushing through and giving it what he has. It's called commitment. It's called loyalty. It's called professionalism.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
It's a credit to himself to see things through. It breeds character. In life you're going to have to do things you don't love doing. Life sucks sometimes. And sometimes, you learn something profound by going through the process.

Toxic Parenting!

You have to let kids explore!
You have to be friends with your children!

Also

Why is Johnny still living at home?
Can't drive and doesn't want to learn?

Forsaken

All Star
Daps

And it's a service to his teammates because even though he might not feel his best, he's pushing through and giving it what he has. It's called commitment. It's called loyalty. It's called professionalism.
Your points are contradictory. If the kid is giving his all he likely wants to be there. So riding the bench would build character and toughness.

I'm talking about kids who do not want to participate but are being forced too. I see these young kids who you can clearly tell are going through the motions at practice because their parent is making them go.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Your points are contradictory. If the kid is giving his all he likely wants to be there. So riding the bench would build character and toughness.

I'm talking about kids who do not want to participate but are being forced too. I see these young kids who you can clearly tell are going through the motions at practice because their parent is making them go.
Being forced to participate and being forced to finish are different things.

They are not contradictory.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Nope

Not when you the one who begged to be put in whatever it is that you're doing, money been spent, time been spent, etc.

You gon stand on business til season wraps at least then don't ask about that shyt ever again.